• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Body shots on bandits?

Skeletonized skulls are VERY cool, and coons have impressive skulls. However skeletonized skulls are even cooler when used to analyze a perfect brain shot; especially one taken in an epic, sporting scenario.

Exhibit A, this photo from the cover and a chapter titled Airgun Challenge "Down Mexico Way" in my book Airgun Hunting And Sport (copyright 2001). No, it's no longer available.

Javelina skull.jpg

This book is still available-

AAP new cover small.jpg

Yeah, really, since it's already trapped, you may as well go for a spear, and I'm not kidding. Vastly more lethal and humane.
Minus the large hole I'd need to repair in the pelt I'm keeping lol.

I could go old school and just beat it to death with a club too, but thats going to be pretty intense going for the vitals!

So I pretty much need a hypersonic missile to make an ethical body shot on a coon? Good to know lol.
I would at least get a few Raufoss rounds into him to take some of his starch out, then call in the arty, tomahawks, 5 inch naval
guns or whatever is on station.

In Ohio, if you trap one as a nuisance it must either be released on the spot or euthanised, no relocation and release. Doing so is a crime in itself.

Ethically killing in a trap? No worries.

Body shots to save the pelt and skull?
Again, no worries. Center punch him with a .25 and let it bleed out. I am sure they die much worse deaths in nature.

I would at least get a few Raufoss rounds into him to take some of his starch out, then call in the arty, tomahawks, 5 inch naval
guns or whatever is on station.

In Ohio, if you trap one as a nuisance it must either be released on the spot or euthanised, no relocation and release. Doing so is a crime in itself.

Ethically killing in a trap? No worries.

Body shots to save the pelt and skull?
Again, no worries. Center punch him with a .25 and let it bleed out. I am sure they die much worse deaths in nature.
Just envisioned a warthog coming in... BBRRRRRRRRT!

Anyone take vital shots on coons? What would be a safe power level to drop one at about 40 yards? Or are they pretty much head shot only.

I'm working with a 30-35 fpe 22, or I have a 38 fpe 25 and a 55 fpe 25 I can use. Obviously, in this case, I'm thinking the bigger 25.

Would this be ethical? I'm not worried about a run off, it'll be one in a hand cuff trap. Wanting to save the pelt for my buddy and possibly recover the skull hence no head shot.
No, I don't believe body shots are ethical on a raccoon with an airgun. Pound for pound, raccoons are one of the toughest animals walking around your neighborhood. Comparatively coyotes die easy. I've personally seen a raccoon body shot with a 38 special shrug off the hole in the center of it's chest. If you want to fold them up with a body shot, a 17hmr will do it. If you do it with an airgun, light yourself a cigarette. It's likely to take awhile to expire.

No, I don't believe body shots are ethical on a raccoon with an airgun. Pound for pound, raccoons are one of the toughest animals walking around your neighborhood. Comparatively coyotes die easy. I've personally seen a raccoon body shot with a 38 special shrug off the hole in the center of it's chest. If you want to fold them up with a body shot, a 17hmr will do it. If you do it with an airgun, light yourself a cigarette. It's likely to take awhile to expire.
I've shot them with 22lr and had them run off. Head shot they are DRT, but not in the body. I have a feeling it's going to be a tough call and I don't really want it to suffer, so I may just pass on the next one I get and just drop it with a head shot. Depends on my mood that morning when I wake up and how much trash it tore out of the cans. Having a creek behind the house has its pros and cons.

Anyone take vital shots on coons? What would be a safe power level to drop one at about 40 yards? Or are they pretty much head shot only.

I'm working with a 30-35 fpe 22, or I have a 38 fpe 25 and a 55 fpe 25 I can use. Obviously, in this case, I'm thinking the bigger 25.

Would this be ethical? I'm not worried about a run off, it'll be one in a hand cuff trap. Wanting to save the pelt for my buddy and possibly recover the skull hence no head shot.
Well if you are going to save the pelt then take a stick out there and knock him in the head. That way you don't damage the pelt, even one pellet hole in the pelt will take some of the value out when he visits the buyer.

Whitetail deer seldom drop on the spot when hit with bullet, slug, or arrow. Also in most circles a head shot on a deer is the one considered unethical.
I find it kind of ironic that people are calling shots to the vitals unethical on raccoons. I much prefer headshots on raccoons, squirrels, rabbits, but I wouldn't call a vitals shot unethical.

Minus the large hole I'd need to repair in the pelt I'm keeping lol.

I could go old school and just beat it to death with a club too, but thats going to be pretty intense going for the vitals!
Oh, dang, you want the entire pelt, not just the skull?

Hmmm.

I mean, I guess you could drag the entire contraption into a trash can and then use carbon monoxide from a vehicle to euthanize it. That's slightly more humane than beating it to death, I suppose.

Not sure there's really any super good options here. I like my pelts with a good old hole or two in 'em. better story that way.

If you do end up going with the blunt force method, maybe consider making the world's biggest blackjack out of some old pellets and leather?

• Haha
Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
I get not wanting something to suffer but I would go out on a limb to say that ideal is lost the second the coon gets stuck in a trap, I'm sure he isn't going to be too happy while he's chewing his paw off. personally, I take high neck shots on everything because nothing living can take a CNS hit (except a jellyfish). most important is take the shot that you're most comfortable with.

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
Oh, dang, you want the entire pelt, not just the skull?

Hmmm.

I mean, I guess you could drag the entire contraption into a trash can and then use carbon monoxide from a vehicle to euthanize it. That's slightly more humane than beating it to death, I suppose.

Not sure there's really any super good options here. I like my pelts with a good old hole or two in 'em. better story that way.

If you do end up going with the blunt force method, maybe consider making the world's biggest blackjack out of some old pellets and leather?
Yeah, I'm not picking up a pissed off raccoon that's had his paw stuck in a trap over night. The giant blackjack is hilarious btw!

Since posting this, the YT algorithm has been sending me cute little raccoon videos. Makes almost not wanna club one to death and boil its brains out... almost.

Also. Just goes to show you how much your phone is listening/watching.

this is simple. Just like in the old trapping days. Stun it with an axe handle and place a low power shot from a pumper, 3 strokes, through the
eye socket or ear canal into the brain.
The raccoon will do the death dance for a few minutes and expire. An exit wound is unlikely and the skull will remain intact.

happy hunting
Doc

We used to live about 7 miles in from Folly Beach SC. A fellow I knew closed up his front beach house for the winter in October. His winter home was in Greenville SC. He came back in January to check the house. He open the front door and all hell broke loose. A family of raccoons had taken up residence. When the contractor finished putting the house back together and sealing it up. The cost was over 50,000.00 dollars. I take head shots with .22 lr. Then a couple more just to make sure. Rabies is what scares me. I've seen too many good dogs put down because of it.

We used to live about 7 miles in from Folly Beach SC. A fellow I knew closed up his front beach house for the winter in October. His winter home was in Greenville SC. He came back in January to check the house. He open the front door and all hell broke loose. A family of raccoons had taken up residence. When the contractor finished putting the house back together and sealing it up. The cost was over 50,000.00 dollars. I take head shots with .22 lr. Then a couple more just to make sure. Rabies is what scares me. I've seen too many good dogs put down because of it.
I've vacationed on Folly Beach a few times, love it down there. Summerville is also a nice little place

Reactions: Nattboy
Pellet to head won't hurt skull just one small hole. A body shot won't hurt pelt value, will never see from fuzzy side. With a good pair of boots on put one foot on neck or head the other on ribs he will suffocate pretty quick. If you recover skull and it looks like air and gas man's picture, your coon was a javalina that's why after useing the stand on method your missing both legs below the knees.

Do a Google search on acetone and skunks. I believe the same technique would work on raccoons but you would probably need more acetone probably in the order of 25 ml or more. In that way the body will be fully intact with no damage in animal will be dispatched with minimal suffering.
This is a REALLY BAD idea. Acetone does not have the same effect on a raccoon.

ETA- Had to run suddenly before finishing this post. I know a guy that tried this and it did not go well. You'd need a much longer, stronger and stiffer needle to reach the lungs than you'd use on a skunk. That error would have/should have been a chargeable offense.

Last edited: