"Bob's Slugs" Ebay 68 grain boat tails for Umarex Guantlet 30

I got 300 of these 68 grain boat tails in today and did a little testing at 50 yards. Satisfied enough with the results not to push it -- I will run this ammo in my G2 30.

Bob-Slugs.jpg

Somebody in another thread called them "Bob's Slugs" and said I should also check out Apex similar style. Maybe next time.

Let's start with "the bad". Well, they don't load into the breech as easy as pellets, that's for sure. But the Guantlet 30 is faulty in this aspect -- even pellets sometimes need a solid push. I know there are remedies for this, and maybe I will, but I am hoping it might break in a little. My G2 .25 has the same issue but it takes JSB MK2 very smoothly and that's all I shoot out of it. Good luck shooting slugs out of the .25 Guantlet.

So I will say, as far as slugs go, these are easier to load into the breech than NSA / FX or standard shape slugs, which I assume have more friction on the way in. But still, in the Ebay ad they show these loaded into magazines. I didn't even try because I don't want to break a mag-- only single loaded. It took a good push or two. But again, still much better than trying to load a 61 grain NSA which you'd practically have to sit on the cocking bolt.

The good -- these shot at 886 FPS for 118 FPE. That's the most power I've seen out of this gun with any ammo. And better than I expected by about 10 FPE. I had the hammer spring at stock tuning. For comparison, JSB 50.15 grains would shoot 110 FPE at that setting. So these pack a punch.

Accuracy -- pretty damn good! I didn't even need to adjust my point of impact from shooting JSB 44.75 grains. They just landed about a half inch higher (which might just be how I had it for the JSBs at 50 yards as well, but I think these landed slightly higher than the pellets. Still on center and close enough.). I was really surprised I didn't have to adjust POI or scope at all for these. You can go back and forth between pellets and these slugs and get a reliable kill at 50.

I got a few slugs in the same hole and a couple other ones I probably pulled. Then took some shots at metal spinners and was pleased with the impact.

So really my only complaint with these lies with the Guantlet 30 itself and why Umarex couldn't be arsed to polish the breech on their guns, especially after it's a known complaint and these are newer versions coming out with the same issue, even ammo "specifically designed" needs to be slightly manhandled to get it in there. Don't get me wrong, I like that gun a lot -- but that's it's primary flaw.

FWIW I also tried these in my AEA Terminator 30 and they shot all over the place and jammed the magazine half the time and I double loaded it (no biggie). I'm not too upset though because the Terminator shoots NSA 56 & 61 grain slugs lights out.

Thanks for sharing this info. I have a Gauntlet 2 in 30 cal arriving on Friday. I will try a few pellets in it of course, but my main use will be my own cast slugs. I would like to buy the same NOE? mold that these were made from but they appear to be out of stock. I wonder if there is something else out there similar but in stock? If not I can impatiently wait for one I suppose. I wouldn't be averse to also buying a pellet style mold. I have pure lead and some slightly harder alloys in ingots waiting for the mold!

I think this is the mold type that was used to make them.

Slightly off topic, I found some Apolo 30 cal pellets and 22 cal slugs that I am going to try. Have you or anyone else tried them?

Last edited:
NOE just released a new .30 cal mold. I'm seeing 56.1 gr average in the cast slugs. the drop at .300" in diameter. so far on an untuned superior liner not heavy they are moving 790 fps and the group in the red square is a 2 inch group at 66 yards. I know this with tighten up once the gun is tuned to the and the speed get up in the 900 range. the hollow point is massive.

20220919_170917.jpg

20220919_185033.jpg

20220919_192149.jpg

Reactions: Bowhunter73