boat tail slugs - anyone using them for hunting?

i used NSA BTHP 350gr slugs in .457 for a couple years until i started to cast my own 405gr
RNFP lyman bullet (sized) for my piledriver. i learned that the HP's didnt really open up as much as everyone thinks.
so now i just wreck the front running gear when i hunt whitetail with the 405gr @ 720FPE
i cant see well enough to blood trail these days....... 🤘

I use the NSA 142gr .357cal BT slug and it works pretty good. Unfortunately, NSA no longer makes that particular slug 😥. As far as expand on impact, that has a lot to do with the amount of power of the gun, and the size of the prey.

Take a look at my Ballistic Testing Video and you can see how it does in gel. Here is the video, starting from the boat tail round:

Reactions: jdanvers
Yup. If you’re taking longer shots they’re supposed to hold an advantage. I like em in .22 and .357.
Yeah -- I'm thinking smaller cal myself - .22 and .25. I regularly go after pigeons at 70-120 yards w/my .22 - smoked one @103 earlier today actually. ( got lucky as I made a good guess on the wind hold . . . the wind was blowing pretty good ) I'm quite happy with how both of my guns are shooting but . . . . if can potentially go with a slightly heavier round and little, if any, need for more power - yeah I'm curious. The guy in the Mass area is doing some amazingly accurate long distance shooting with .25's - out to 500yds! ( https://www.youtube.com/@myairgunrange )

@jdanvers I think that the platform and tune and also important. Which gun(s) are you looking to shoot them from? At which speed? Within what range?
I got addicted to this game a couple of years ago and went a little batsh@t buying guns . . . . I've got 10 of 'em now from .177's through .25 ( only one .25 for the time being ) I told my wife that I wasn't going to buy any more guns this year and . . . . so far so good. I (actually) haven't. I do want a 700mm Vulcan 3. I have it's smaller brother - the 500mm in .22 and it is a GREAT little pellet shooter. The 700mm V3 (in .25) is probably what I would experiment with BT's at longer distances -- I don't know - 150-300yds. (?) *If* I were to play with them now, with the guns that I have - it'd be with either, or both, of my RTI's - both are original first gen prophet performance's but I have the current (new) RPB barrels in them. ( a .22 and the .25 ) Speed? Whatever speed they fly best at. ;) Slugs are typically 900-1000 so . . . . the RTI's mentioned above are both in the 950's - the .22 with 25g H&N's and the .25 32g Patriot Javelins.

I've kind of gotten out of my "tinkering" phase though with these things - I'll tune and diddle with them for a bit - but once I find a tune that works - I'm loathe to mess with it. Soooo . . . . . . <evil grin coming over face> "... this is my excuse to get a new gun?? So I can tune it for long distance play with some of these boat tail thing-a-ma-bobs . . . . . ? Hmmmmmmmmmmm . . . . . lol "

If you cast, this one is a winner. My Cayden shoots them really well at 100 yards.

53054.jpg