• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

BMP’s for chrony-ing a match?

Looking to find out how others handle a chrony check. Many questions come to mind…Better to do it before or after the match? Announced prior to match day or at the match? In the case of a rifle exceeding power limits, how much time is permissible to allow for adjustments and re-test? Should pellet weight and fill pressure be checked as well? How many shots for a sample? Is the 2% rule for calculated fpe or measured fps? Thanks in advance for responses.

-S

Just my $.02.
First, it’s my belief 99.99% of all shooters are going to be self-policing. At a club event level, I don’t see the need. If there is a value to the event, I can see where some rule conformity might be necessary. But if you are going to check conformity, announce as much in advance as possible. You want to give everyone a chance to check their own equipment.

If your goal is to help shooters know if they are legal before the match starts, chrony before. If your goal is to keep everyone under 20fpe for the duration of the match, then test after the match as well as before the match. That being said, it opens it up to the shooter blaming the gun. And it seems more practical if you are going to do it before, you should do it after too. This will be a hot button topic. however, if someone wants to take advantage of the rules, they will also find a way to skirt the tests.

Give them all the time they need but start the match on time. If they miss a couple of lanes, they will have it fixed next match.

Checking pellet weight and fill pressure I don’t see a need and it would only slow down check in more.

Shots given to check sub 20fpe. 1 off chrony to set reg/spring/gas ram. 2-3 for average.

My experience being checked with the 2% rule was for FPS.

The irony of this is, most rigs are very capable of exceeding 20fpe. However, those same rigs are considerably more accurate somewhere south of 20. As an example, my FT rig max is 22fpe. It’s most accurate at 17.8fpe. A flatter trajectory to or past the faceplate isn’t going to help me if I can’t hit the KZ.

Reactions: Podna
Just my $.02.
First, it’s my belief 99.99% of all shooters are going to be self-policing. At a club event level, I don’t see the need. If there is a value to the event, I can see where some rule conformity might be necessary. But if you are going to check conformity, announce as much in advance as possible. You want to give everyone a chance to check their own equipment.

If your goal is to help shooters know if they are legal before the match starts, chrony before. If your goal is to keep everyone under 20fpe for the duration of the match, then test after the match as well as before the match. That being said, it opens it up to the shooter blaming the gun. And it seems more practical if you are going to do it before, you should do it after too. This will be a hot button topic. however, if someone wants to take advantage of the rules, they will also find a way to skirt the tests.

Give them all the time they need but start the match on time. If they miss a couple of lanes, they will have it fixed next match.

Checking pellet weight and fill pressure I don’t see a need and it would only slow down check in more.

Shots given to check sub 20fpe. 1 off chrony to set reg/spring/gas ram. 2-3 for average.

The irony of this is, most rigs are very capable of exceeding 20fpe. However, those same rigs are considerably more accurate somewhere south of 20. As an example, my FT rig max is 22fpe. It’s most accurate at 17.8fpe. A flatter trajectory to or past the faceplate isn’t going to help me if I can’t hit the KZ.
Some of the major Field Target matches I've shot at do chrono your gun. All the official chrono have been in the middle of the match. They have a Chrono station usually located in the middle of the course with scale and chrono. Then they record your FPE on your score card and sign your card. I think for the world FT (I haven't shot one ...just heard about their procedure) they put a sticker somewhere on your gun or scope (maybe someone more knowledgeable can share their experience).

The before and after chrono are more for competitors to check their equipment to make sure it's functioning correctly. Usually major competitions are two days. Some usually chrono their gun post match first day to justify ...misses (like me then scramble to try to find fixes).

Last edited:
Just my $.02.

Thanks Dave. I know most clubs and shooters self police, but if the requirements ever came up came up I wanted to know what to do and how to do it in a preferred manner. The irony as you point out is that most are better under 20 so its a relatively moot.
I think maybe setting up the chrony for people to use will be a standard thing at our matches, some shooters may not have access to one or just want to check their tune.

What about the nationals or worlds? How are they chronied?

All the major Field Target matches I've shot at that chrono your gun in the middle of the match. The official Chrono was recorded during the match (they have a Chrono station usually located in the middle of the course with scale and chrono.)

The before and after chrono are more for competitors to check their equipment to make sure it's functioning correctly. Usually major competitions are two days. Some usually chrono their gun post match first day to justify ...misses (like me).
What happens if a shooter is over? Is it treated like a malfunction until its fixed or DQ’d?

With the way the check is set up (for most major FT competition I've shot at). it's an automatic DQ. That's why you chrono before the shoot (unofficially).
For the world...(again this is 2nd hand info). I've heard of someone traveling thousands of miles to shoot at Italy in 2022...chrono their gun during the match. Failed and was DQ.

It's a shame because Italy 2022 world WFTF I heard was a scorcher, competitors sent to the ER because of heat stroke, Competitors getting dehydrated etc. The heat was tough on competitors as well as equipment.

Last edited:
Most of the grand prix matches I have attended have done the Chrono before the match. It is usually during the sight in/practice session.
If you go over, you have the practice session to fix the problem. Otherwise, you are disqualified for the day. You can still shoot but your score will not count.
I attended 2019 & 2022 Worlds. They chrono midway through the match between lanes. You get a sticker if you pass. One colored sticker for each day for three days. You get disqualified for that day if you go over after three shots maximum.

Reactions: JP806TX
Club matches & some GP's, the Chrony is on the line between a random lane. Honor system having lane partners document each other.

Nationals, seen a manned station someplace between lanes, hand us a couple pellets from your pouch, weigh em, hand back & shoot over chrony for record.
Also seen the chrony check team ( with a list of ALL competitors ) seek each & every person & there guns and test them prior to match.