• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Blue Streak finish

I tried the Birchwood-Casey Copper/Brass Blackener on one that I recently refinished. It came out so-so and it's a real B-I-T-C-H to work with.
The bottle states to apply, let sit for 1 minute, then wash off. I tried those directions and it barely made any difference. So, I tried leaving sit for longer. While it darkened it a little more, it still wasn't close to the original finish.
It took 10 separate 'coats' to get it remotely close enough to call it a day.
After each coat, I very lightly hit it with 0000 steel wool, which made the finish look a little better, but still needed a deeper black.
There may be other products that do the same, but the Birchwood that I used was not all the great.
I did consider using the Duracoat product as it seems that is pretty good, but the cost of over $80 per spray can was a turn off. Plus it requires other products for prep.
Looking back, it might have been a better option?

Mike

Reactions: maxtrouble
I tried the Birchwood-Casey Copper/Brass Blackener on one that I recently refinished. It came out so-so and it's a real B-I-T-C-H to work with.
The bottle states to apply, let sit for 1 minute, then wash off. I tried those directions and it barely made any difference. So, I tried leaving sit for longer. While it darkened it a little more, it still wasn't close to the original finish.
It took 10 separate 'coats' to get it remotely close enough to call it a day.
After each coat, I very lightly hit it with 0000 steel wool, which made the finish look a little better, but still needed a deeper black.
There may be other products that do the same, but the Birchwood that I used was not all the great.
I did consider using the Duracoat product as it seems that is pretty good, but the cost of over $80 per spray can was a turn off. Plus it requires other products for prep.
Looking back, it might have been a better option?

Mike
Thanks for that. I too tried a bit of the BC Blackener, thinking that it would be the solution (no pun intended), but was disappointed. I thought about laying it in a pan to soak, but so far haven't done it, and I am not convinced the final product would be much good.
From the two replies, I think I will go with the Eastwood 2K satin black. I think it was about 50 bucks a can, not sure as it was over a year ago I bought a few cans.
JD

The process used by Sheridan is ebonol-c or something like that.Brass black works well for overall refinishing but not for doing touch-up. It is very impossible to get it to match the original finish. Applying black lacquer automotive paint with an air brush, is the best method.
I would have left it all brass and found a clear coat , even a mottled brass (some of the old finish still seen )