• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Blue Ribbon engraved scope - what is it?

Went to a local auction with lots of airgun stuff and was intrigued by this scope. It went cheap so i picked it up. It says Blue Ribbon on top, has an engraved stag, and its made in Japan. Glass seems clear and has a plain, very fine, reticle. Im assuming this is Beeman from the blue ribbon but theres no brand marking so im not sure, I dont know much about vintage equipment. Can anyone confirm if its beeman or know where I could search to find out more about it?

Other markings:
4x40
Fully Coated
Nitrogen Filled
Image Moving
Water Proof
Japan

1576901372_3238868435dfd9afc20c279.06540450_20191220_170819.jpg

1576901132_20170926655dfd9a0ca406f7.39297199_20191220_170810.jpg
1576901133_2693609595dfd9a0de6b806.29314457_20191220_170802.jpg

I’ve never seen the engraved models. The skylight ones, period correct, any packages Dr. Beeman sold that match are always highly collectible to those people.

One member here grew up down the street from Robert Beeman & “The Pusher” sold him his first AG. The addiction is strong in that guy. Beeman would be proud. Especially since he’s a springer lover at heart. Now if he sees this post or I point him to it I think he’d know & give an honest estimate of what they’re selling for. I don’t do auctions or collect vintage much, except 1980-1990’s Diana guns, R1-7-9’s w/ original sights, & Theoben Rapids & break barrels. Then have iron sights installed as I use them in conjunction with the low power scopes.

I’ll tell you this. I totally prefer low powered scopes and seek older Japanese & German optics out. Old Weavers from El Paso I’m especially fond of.

If your scope still has any Nitrogen in it I’d be surprised. I have some what’s considered to be darn good mid range scopes and what’s funny is the Nitrogen purged one has been fogging up with 30 second top offs in & out in 11-18*F to 62-68*F weather. I prefer fixed low power scopes for serious target group shooting. Mil dot or plain super fine crosshair all have their place. 
That one there might trip someone’s trigger I’m 100% positive of it. Probably over $400 worth of trigger tripping. Wouldn’t be surprised at $600.00. 
Because the old Japanese optics if not scratched are usually better than what you find on most scopes under $300 & some over $500 nowadays. The clarity is superb.
I personally am not into engraved metal anything let alone a airgun/equipment I wanna use & keep from rusting. Your tube is probably aluminum so therefore no rust. If it’s steel, silver leaf, who knows. Where’s my glasses?

If no rust, ring marks, if lenses are PERFECT, it can be purged of air again. One thing I demand in a scope is NO BENT TUBE & it absolutely MUST center optically in a mirror with reticle in alignment AND the front bell a perfect circle. If not, then it’s been over torqued along the lines from someone & I’ll not be able to set it up how I want it. Perfectly aligned with bore so my pellets’ or slugs’ near & far zero match perfectly. Not all scope rails, rings are created equally. Let alone the most helpful but critical part of obtaining the most out of a Accurate gun. To do so you, the scope, and projectiles all need to have continuous consistency. 

It’s an interesting scope. In 12 years of being on these forums, hmm, got to average at least 1 or more hour every day of those 12. I’ve never seen one. Dang I wouldn’t be surprised if some guy pays $1200 or more. I’d personally buy 4 SWFA 10x42 mil quads or 6-7 Hawke 2x7x32 AirMax w/. AMX reticle

Aloha schnottus,

I know my dad had 1 of these when I was about 10 years old. But I think his was 2.5 x 32 AO. I don’t know what happened to it after going off to college, but I know it was a Beeman scope and it was mounted to an old Marlin. Hope this helps.

Aloha, Keone

Thanks Keone, that does help confirm my suspicions that its a Beeman.

Probably over $400 worth of trigger tripping. Wouldn’t be surprised at $600.00.

Well that wildly exceeds what i was thinking it might be worth, Id take that kind of money for it in a heartbeat and fund another pcp project :) 

Pretty sure the body is aluminum. I'll have to take a closer look at its condition this evening. I didnt see any scratches when i looked through it but i wasnt inspecting it very closely (i was thinking it was more like a $50 to $100 display piece).

How does one test to see of it "centers optically in a mirror" ?

Thanks for the info/comments James.

-Scott

To test optical center you take turret covers off. Stand in front of bright bathroom mirror or any flat mirror. Place bell against mirror flat.

You should see reticle & reflection of reticle. Move turrets so reflection lines up. This should occur & still have a full centered view exit pupil full FOV circle with mirror flat on bell end.

I then mount scopes like that on low power tuned 6-12 ftlb spring guns or PCP’s. Since nobody reads my posts I’ll tell you a secret.

The reason I prefer 1x10x and mostly 1-4x is a large FOV. Add a front globe sight. With my 2x7x32 Hawke on 2x, reticle lined up with my eye placement & the VERY bottom of front globe dovetail at bottom of reticle & top of globe right under crosshairs, target at 75 yards. I have no problem putting 8.44’s within 2” group all day in no wind from John Thomas tuned HW30. 
I might find it when it’s not 11-32*F outside. The trick is not trying with a 3 point alignment being, target, reticle, eye. I use a 4th. The front globe held on by dovetail. I’m not saying I can see the POI. But if you use a 4th alignment which makes you correct your eye placement both up, down, either side, and the site picture in true alignment with no wind? Brother just keep shooting and I’ve seen over 10 shots within a nickel at 75 yards using that system. 
I know others might say they’d rather use a rest and a 6x24x44 or something. Fine but you will never understand nano movements make or break groups until you see what it would take to shoot repeatedly without the 4th point. This is why I like low power scopes and must have front globe sights on guns. Wish I had like (20) March 1x10 2ndFP mil dot scopes.

Dream on. I’ll settle for Hawke 2x7’s.

My estimate could be way off on price of your scope, ( maybe $150-300. Maybe only $100??) but to a collector it’s whatever they will pay. I personally won’t even pay for a museum quality refurbished Weaver. 
If SWFA can make scopes as good as they are for $299 (probably $100-&150 but that’s materials shipping advertising storing customs, etc & of course a business must make a profit ) I’ll stick with them, Hawke. I may get a Sightron or something good for more precise ranging by focusing on single blades of grass. Show me a scope that can tell me range to within 10 yards out to 400 and I’ll buy one.