• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
They are evil, noisy and bully birds. I moved into an old house 40 years back and slept upstairs. This bluejay would perch itself on a limb a few feet from my open second story window and scream at me at 3:30-4:00 in the morning before it was even light out. I had to get get up at 7am, to go to werq, so did not appreciate being woke so early nor kept awake by the constant screaming. So figured, as I had just moved in, the previous renter must have been feeding him. So. I started leaving it food and the screaming stopped, for a few days, then started back up again even though the food was there. I threw one of my new tennis shoes at it one morning to chase it off. When I went down to get my shoe out of the back yard when I got up it was gone. Grrrr... evil nasty bird. Finally after months of loosing sleep in the fight with nothing werqing I pulled my trusty, 1920s octagon barreled pump action, .22 and shot the evil bird off the top of neighbors 4 plex at about 40 yards then turned around, pumped another round into the chamber, and shot it's mate, off of a power line, at about the same distance. No one out that early, just before dawn, in the morning and the .22 shorts were not a very noisy round so no problem. I went back upstairs and slid back under the covers for a few more hours of peaceful sleep. Bluejays are very territorial and I never had another problem. I was young and stupid back then but had very good eyes and was a very good shot as well. 

ALL the Corvid species are A-Holes. Around here we have primarily the "Scrub Jay" and when they are being rowdy they get dealt with.

past few years they are really thinned out due to the AKA Bird flu that has effected many of the corvids be them Crows, Mockingbirds, Jays etc ...

^^^^^^^^ that!!!

Covids are straight up assholes. Our variant which is the western scrub jay have plenty of food(I have bird feeders) but they actively raid nests and kill hatchlings especially the humming birds and smaller golden finches. They even go after adult golden finches once a while. I certainly don’t like them. 

Round here BJays are bully’s to the small birds on the feeders But we put soot out for woodpeckers mostly red headed and redbelly. I can tell you this woodpeckers don’t put up with BlueJay nonsense. I get a chuckle hearing the blue jays screaming for his life with one of the woodpeckers a foot behind him. So when confront they high tail it out of there. We don’t shoot them too much entertainment.

Red

I'm in the beautiful bird camp.

Blue jays around here are bullied big time by the slightly larger Grackles. Jays will pick on the smaller Cardinals and try to do the same with the wood peckers but the peckers quickly put an end to that with a stabbing peck and the jays are gone... Bottom line, all birds have a pecking order.

Granted, they are very loud birds. Maybe almost as smart as Crows/Ravens. I have a few around here that will perch 5' away from where I'm working in my garden and wait till I throw them a nut and catch a peanut in mid air. They will warn me with loud Caws when tree rodents are invading my bird feeders and know enough to stay clear of my bait station backboard till rodents are disposed of.

I like them, they eat insects veraciously. Have seen them pick horn worms off my hot pepper plants. They catch/eat the moths that lay eggs/worms that eat my garden. They eat roaches/beetles/slugs/etc.

Yup I like them, and find them entertaining also, and very useful around the garden.

jmo

Absolutely beautiful a holes.

When I returned from college for summer break, A lifetime ago. I was sleeping in the bedroom right below my parents, who were upstairs.

Every morning at dawn, a Blue would wake me up screeching in the backyard.

After a couple mornings of being woken up way too early, I set up my 124 next to the basement door. Oiled the hinges on the door. 

The next morning he started screeching. I calmly grab the 124 slid the door open, and dropped him, screeching stopped.

through the window of my room I heard my dad say from up above, thank you. I’ll never forget it. I miss him.

mike

I'm in the beautiful bird camp.

Blue jays around here are bullied big time by the slightly larger Grackles. Jays will pick on the smaller Cardinals and try to do the same with the wood peckers but the peckers quickly put an end to that with a stabbing peck and the jays are gone... Bottom line, all birds have a pecking order.

Granted, they are very loud birds. Maybe almost as smart as Crows/Ravens. I have a few around here that will perch 5' away from where I'm working in my garden and wait till I throw them a nut and catch a peanut in mid air. They will warn me with loud Caws when tree rodents are invading my bird feeders and know enough to stay clear of my bait station backboard till rodents are disposed of.

I like them, they eat insects veraciously. Have seen them pick horn worms off my hot pepper plants. They catch/eat the moths that lay eggs/worms that eat my garden. They eat roaches/beetles/slugs/etc.

Yup I like them, and find them entertaining also, and very useful around the garden.

jmo

very interesting!!! Didn’t know they can be trained as tree rat alarm!!! I don’t shoot them anyways but still don’t like them for hunting down humming bird nests. I’m switching my feeder to peanuts anyways for the wood pecker and jays love peanuts, they empty the feeder quick. 

Don't think they realize it, but the ones using my birdbath are on permanent double-secret probation. All others come in for a quiet bath or drink, these screech and scream on the way in, during use and on leaving. Not sure why they're so noisy but sometimes when they see me on the porch they get real quiet. Maybe it's the Wildcat in the rack beside me or the look in my eye, either way guess they figure not to push it.

WM

They Suck the big one. I have a new $90,000.00 silicon roof on my building and those B@$+@%*$ pick at it in nice patterns for what reason I do not know, but I have to go up and slather the spots with new silicon to re-seal them. Pests I say.

Patrick

Holy crap!

Let your anger guide you to the dark side!!

lol, jk I hope you find a solution!!