• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Biting the compressor fill tank bullet....

So. Having more and more fun shooting the .22 Marauder that the hand pump is becoming tiresome. I am thinking about ordering a Yong Heng compressor and a portable tank.
  1. If I order the compressor, is the auto stop verson (329 vs 289) worth the extra 40 bucks for either safety or efficiency?
  2. What else do I need to order( line, fittings, oil, moisture filter ...)?
  3. recommended tank other than the branded Benjamin tank?
Thank you,
Cwolfe

@boataphile There are many threads about how to select a first compressor. Have you tired using the AGN search function to answer some of your questions (the magnifying glass towards the top of the page)? Take a look at a few threads obtained from AGN searches.

Grab a SCBA tank from Pyramid Air (PA) or Airgun Depot and use a coupon code. I think there is an 11% off sale running at Pyramyd Air right now. It’s a great time to buy a SCBA tank. I recommend staring with a 74 cubic foot Air Venturi carbon fiber tank. It should come with what you need to fill your air guns and run you around $550. To fill this tank you will need a 300 DIN fitting coming off of your compressor.

Yong Heng

Compressor Suggestions for Newbs

Air Venturi Wingman 74 cubic foot carbon fiber SCBA Tank

Last edited:
CW,
Happened to many, PCPs are a kick to shoot, hand pumping can take the joy out of it. EZ is correct, mountains of great information in archives, his links are spot on, or just search, "Yong Heng," plugging in "Biohazardman," in member search box. Do the homework, bring questions back to forum, plenty here willing to help. Best of Luck, WM

You have three significant purchases to do what you describe, a compressor, a tank, and a fillset. I use a Yong Heng and I recommend it. I use an expired Scott fireman's tank I got for about $100 from ebay. Not all are comfortable with an expired tank but it works great for me. Last is the fill set. A way to connect the tank to the compressor or the gun. I tried a cheap one I got from Amazon but it leaked badly. Input from others convinced me that it was unlikely to ever work very well. So I spent close to $200 for a good one from Joe Brancatto. Works great. "Stickman" is another option I read good things about. These are the bigger purchases but there are other cheaper things you will probably want.

I prefer filling from a tank because it is very fast and nearly silent. But the other option is to just get a little 120V/12V compressor and fill your gun directly with that. That keeps your expenditure to one item while still offering air away from home (one of the functions of the bottle for me). GX CS2, 3, or 4 are options for this route. The GX CS4 can run for over an hour and fill a bottle too. (My Yong Heng refills my 45 minute tank in 15-20 minutes)

Even with a hand pump an extra moisture filter is not a bad idea and it is probably significantly more important with a compressor. The GX CS4 may have a good enough one built in but most of us add something to our Yong Hengs. I added a fairly small additional filter filled with color change dessicant. I also put a one way valve in my extra moisture filter which keeps my tank from dumping it's air if there is a problem with the Yong Heng or the moisture filters. It also lets me just open the tank valve when I start up the Yong Heng instead of waiting for the compressor to build up the pressure close to the tank level. I did not do it right away but I also added a computer radiator and extra fan to help the YH stay cool. I fill it with Nuvair oil. None of these pieces was very expensive.

I do not think the auto shut off option is worthwhile on a Yong Heng and mine does not have it. I would not trust it if I had it. If I am filling a gun it happens in a couple minutes at most so I just stick around. If I am recharging my tank (my normal path) I return to the YH every 5 minutes to vent moisture but otherwise do other stuff. It is pretty noisy so I don't normally stand beside it for 15-20 minutes. I know about when it will finish and hang around for a few minutes then.

Reactions: maxtrouble
OK, I am going in...

I would get the auto shut off version; $40 is cheap for the added convenience.

I would get a Chinese tank, since only you are filling it, no need for the DOT stamp, unless you plan on going to scuba shops to fill it as well. You will save $$.

You can get a cheap Chinese tank, contrary to lack of warm and fuzzies for Chinese tanks, which is ISO 1119 certified . The PHMSA accepts this (see Interpretation Response PHMSA #16-0196 ). You can get a 6.8 L tank for $95, and the fill kit for about $45, plus shipping. I have been using one for over 3 years now. BTW, the bottle on your gun is most likely ISO 1119 certified.

I just recently jumped into the PCP realm head first. I bought a new Vevor compressor and it has so far been trouble free and works like a charm. I like the fact you don't have to use any cooling water or any of that nonsense. I have only used it to fill up my Kral Puncher Jumbo's 420cc bottle as I don't have a seperate bottle to fill up yet. It is pretty quiet and fills the bottle up from empty in about 25 min.

Vevor Compressor

I got my Yong Heng from Walmart for $179. It runs perfect, use Seco 500 oil. I added two filters downstream and now I pump to an eBay sourced SCBA tank converted to 300 Bar DIN valve and a smaller (China) field bottle I carry in my day pack hunting. I run a higher flow water pump, cool my water, never see temps over 50 C.

If filling direct to gun a YH is probably not the best solution especially if you want portability. But if you fill to a tank the YH will far out perform the oilless compressors. Both in volume, run time and longevity.

The filtration I am using in order:

Centrifugal
Desiccant
Last chance (cotton)
SCBA/SCUBA tank

Any condensate that might remain should condense out in the tanks and not make it to the rifle. Thus far I find no evidence of water in my rifles.

Last edited:
I prefer the GX CS4 over the YH. It cost more (retail is $500-600), but it's much quieter and almost no vibration. It can also fill to 5,800 psi and has a 5 hour continuous run time. It fills at about 1/2 the speed of the YH though. You can not run the YH for hours at a time, so be careful when filling a large tank from empty.

For tanks, I like the offerings from Joe @ http://www.airtanksforsale.com/. I have the great white and the guppy.

Reactions: N2 Shooter