• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bit the bullet-ordered a Yong Heng compressor

Okay Well, I can report that the first trial fill using the compressor worked. I did keep it kind of on the tame side filling to only 260 bar into my 1 L tank, but it worked and that is what matters to me right now. I didn’t exactly time it, but once the compressor was up to load it too maybe 2 minutes or so to get the bottle to 260 bar. In a couple of days I will do another run. got what I need now plus an event every day until 27.

Note: it is loud but no louder than one of my neighbor using a drill into the wall.

I'll disagree on the comparison to any other type of "engine". I believe the high pressure rings on these compressors are probably more sensitive to excess heat than any other type of "engine" (metal rings) would be. Certainly could be wrong and may be wasting my time but my method has worked well for 2 years so I'll stick with it.

I've been messing with jet engines for nearly 40 years where temperatures and pressures stresses are quite significant.

I have not heard anything regarding the "Avenger Gen 1" working pressure. Has anyone info regarding this??

I don't know what's gotten lost in translation. I never said not to use ice. I said there's no need to start the water with ice in it. Even if it's summer time. I add colder water to my water supply when the compressor is under full load. If the compressor hits above 60C, I usually add cooler water. I don't add ice, but it doesn't matter if you add cooler water or ice. The goal is the same. To cool off the compressor under load. 

When I first got my compressor, I thought I'd start with ice water. I got the cylinder head down to 18C with the ice water flowing through it. I though the colder you can run it the better. When I went to start it up, the piston locked up in the cylinder. This is because the cylinder head got so cold that it contracted and the piston couldn't make it's full stroke. So I ran lukewarm water through the pump instead and brought the cylinder head up to 28C. It started right up. Lesson learned. But if you read the instruction manual, the manufacturer says the recommended temp for the compressor is between 55 and 75C. I usually turn on my compressor and let it run for 5 minutes before trying to charge a tank. I let it get to 35C, then I close the drain valve and start the process. The temp instantly climbs by 12-15C. It usually settles in at 58C under full load. When I see it climb above 60, I will add some cooler water to the bucket to bring the temp down. The manufacturer also recommends not to operate the unit under load for more than 20 minutes at a time. I adhere to this recommendation as well. 

I still stand by what I said about the Tuxing filters. I just don't think they're necessary. My compressor has a water separator built into it. It doubles as the bleed valve. There's water present every time I bleed it off, but that's because it's working as it should. It's a water separator. It's like unscrewing the draincock on the bottom of a compressor tank. And that in conjunction with the small cotton filter is adequate. Just my opinion. 

Trinitymaker

"I got the cylinder head down to 18C with the ice water flowing through it. I though the colder you can run it the better. When I went to start it up, the piston locked up in the cylinder."

Odd that my YH has never "locked up" when starting in the winter. It's kept in an unheated shop so it starts quite cold and works just fine. I add ice when temps rise, not to pre-cool the unit in any way but it often starts while very cold.

Your opinions are certainly as valid as any other. It might be perfectly adequate with the cotton filter only. But many have posted on this and don't agree with you. I'm not certain about it either way but I've used extra drying since I got the compressor and I've had the tank open with no moisture ever found. Hope you have good long term luck with it.

I'll disagree on the comparison to any other type of "engine". I believe the high pressure rings on these compressors are probably more sensitive to excess heat than any other type of "engine" (metal rings) would be. Certainly could be wrong and may be wasting my time but my method has worked well for 2 years so I'll stick with it.

I've been messing with jet engines for nearly 40 years where temperatures and pressures stresses are quite significant.

I have not heard anything regarding the "Avenger Gen 1" working pressure. Has anyone info regarding this??

I wouldn't fill it past 3000psi. It's rated at 4351psi (300 BAR). Just asking for regulator and leak problems filling that high plus valve seal poppet prone to failure at high pressires crank the power down to prolong life at least till the improved valve seal poppet becomes available because the higher you push it the shorter life expectancy. It's the Avenger Gen1's weakest link besides the regulator. Not all seem to fail early on during warranty but they do seem to have some sort of a finite life. This information regarding its weakest points have already been publicly known since mid 2020 and buyers were made aware of this.

I wouldn't fill it past 3000psi. It's rated at 4351psi (300 BAR). Just asking for regulator and leak problems filling that high plus valve seal poppet prone to failure at high pressires crank the power down to prolong life at least till the improved valve seal poppet becomes available because the higher you push it the shorter life expectancy. It's the Avenger Gen1's weakest link besides the regulator. Not all seem to fail early on during warranty but they do seem to have some sort of a finite life. This information regarding its weakest points have already been publicly known since mid 2020 and buyers were made aware of this.

Well, your post gave me some thoughts and for sure, a lower tanks pressure should make the regulator's life easier. Regarding the poppet valve, this one is downstream the regulator and only "sees" the regulated pressure, doesn't it?

I am discovering how efficient this rifle is with its air (compared to the Marauder, it's night and day) and filling it to a lower pressure should make sense. If I "only" have 40 shots per fill rather than 60-70, it's perfectly fine.