• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bit the bullet-ordered a Yong Heng compressor

Well, looks like we are going into another “longer term” lockdown this week in the Netherlands and non-essential businesses will be closed, and this includes my air supplier.

So I said screw it an ordered a Yong Heng Compressor from AliExpress Spain and it should be here in a week. Also, I did an order from Krale today for 10 tins of pellets, again considered non-essential (I assume), but those should be shipped today and received tomorrow.

I have tanks etc, and ordered the compressor with auto shutoff function at 300 bar, so all should be fine and I will probably only go to 280 bar, for safety sake.

Well, soon I shall go independent.

You won't be disappointed, that, if it's an original and not a cheap clone. More and more of the clones are missing the water re-circulation pipes and that's going to kill their life expectancy.

When my carbon fiber tank was decommissioned, I struggled some time between buying a new one or going the compressor way, or both... I gave a try with the Yong Hen and never looked back... and never bought a new tank. It takes 45 seconds to recharge a Marauder tank from 2,000 to 3,000 and a minute to bring an Avenger from 1,800 to 4,100. The cooling water barely has time to get lukewarm. In fact, I run it 20 or so second with no load before letting the pressure rise and the same after letting the pressure drop to ease on thermal strains. Be sure never to just turn it "off" without first depressurizing it.

Always overdoing things (engineer background...), I have added a stack of additional filters on top of the standard "water separator". The second one is a little bigger that the one packed with the compressor and has a compressed-textile element to which I have added desiccant material. The third and final one is larger with mainly desiccant material.

Used in these conditions, the little aquarium-style water pump is more than adequate, submerged in a large cold water bucket with no ice added. If you were to run it for long periods of time, that would be a different issue.

Have fun.

@mirage33 thanks. I do also have the 1 L tank which I can use until I get the rest of the stuff needed. I will get a bucket and some of the oil today. Can you send a link if you have one for the additional filter you spoke of? I am a safety engineer so I always try to think ahead of possible issues.

Price delivered was bit over $300-$320 / 270ish euros. So for the model a decent price I think.

You need one of the one way valve for the second filter so you don’t lose air when you turn off the compressor. You probably already know this but don’t turn off the compressor with pressure. use a fan directed at the compressors while running helps with thermal along with 2 bucks for water, 1 for cold water and one for warm water, it puts out about shocking amount of heat. Check all the fittings with soap water and tighten if needed, with a little care that thing will serve you well. 

one way valve for the second or last filter:

https://www.amazon.com/IORMAN-Universal-Quick-Disconnect-Paintball-Fittings/dp/B07HL1M8XQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=4500+psi+one+way+valve&qid=1607961744&sr=8-5

I have one too. mine auto shuts off at 2,900 lbs where we have it set. I have an Akela my buddy has a Marauder. I hook the line up then turn the release valve open and then turn on the pump. We then close the valve so the pressure fills the gun, the compressor then shuts off. we turn the valve to release pressure then disconnect from the gun. Is that not the way you do it? Am I reading your reply wrong? I don't want to hurt the compressor. We don't fill bottles and such. We hook up straight to the gun and go. The pump is on at a max a little over a minute. Really doesn't even get hot. thanks

JPW

Wethy, what I do is:

1)Connect the rifle (don't try to charge it without doing this, it doesn't work, I tried...;-)
2)Make sure both drain valves are opened
3)Start the compressor
4)Let the compressor run "empty" for around 20 seconds
5)Slowly close both drain valves
6)When the target pressure is reached, slowly open both valves to let the pressure slowly go down (4,000 to zero in around 10 seconds)
7)Fully open both drain valves
8)Let the compressor to continue to run with no load for another 20-ish seconds
9)Turn the compressor off

I have the model with the auto-stop but am not using it. I set it up a couple of hundreds of PSI above the target pressure (just in case) but run everything manually

The auto shut off must surely cause some bad back pressures in the assembly which could not be good over time. I always try to use all my machines as gently as possible.

Screenshot_20201215-220018.1608066042.png

The 2 I got from Aliexpress already had the desiccant & charcoal combo filter inside.

ae_1586021232465.1608066141.jpg

Dunno if you can see it, but the smaller filter that comes with the unit has the quick disconnect and is tethered to the larger airmega. The water circulation hoses are connected with the water container underneath, (I pierced the lid with a wood drill at opposite sides.) The circulation pump sits on the bottom of the tank.

🐦

I have the Yong Heng and added that $20 filter in the post above. It's plenty of filtration for pumping up bottles. Just bleed the water every 2 to 3 minutes and you won't have any problems. Water bleed is the knob on the right side of the compressor. It'll blast out some water, close it and return to pumping. Lots of debate on oil, the manual says use some weird lube, but I just went to Home Depot and used the full synthetic compressor oil. 2 years on, still working. Have fun, you'll enjoy it!

No more cheap pumps for me. I had the original Shoebox since they came out and it was a good compressor, but it gave up the ghost a month ago. I did some research here on the forum and everyone was stating how good the Yong Heng was. So I took the plunge. I bought all of the necessary extra bits and bobs to go with it and thought I was good to go. I did the initial 5 minute no-load run and that went well. The next day I tried my first fill on my SCBA tank. The compressor ran for about 5 minutes and then shut off. I had plenty of water and plenty of ice. I tried to turn it on again and it ran for about 3 minutes and turned off again. Never getting above 3200 psi. Monday, 14 Dec, I tried it again. Same thing except this time it won't even turn back on.

Luckily I bought the extended warranty from Wally World so it's going back for a full refund. I'm going to get a "good" one this time. Going to spend the extra money and get the Omega Turbo Charger. Maybe I'll get at least one fill with it. 😃

I see a lot of people have the water intake and “exhaust” in the same 5 gallon bucket. I would recommend 2 bucks, one cold water bucket for intake and empty one for “exhaust”, the water comes out after just a minute of running is quite warm so I let the warm water collect in the empty bucket and refill the intake with fresh cold water and definitely helped me with thermal regulation or running a bit longer before I shut it off at 55 degrees. The factory pump will empty the 5 gallon bucket in around 5 minutes and if you put your hand in the water it’s almost bath water warm, my guess it’s around 80 degrees when the intake water is around 55-60 degrees. 

No more cheap pumps for me. I had the original Shoebox since they came out and it was a good compressor, but it gave up the ghost a month ago. I did some research here on the forum and everyone was stating how good the Yong Heng was. So I took the plunge. I bought all of the necessary extra bits and bobs to go with it and thought I was good to go. I did the initial 5 minute no-load run and that went well. The next day I tried my first fill on my SCBA tank. The compressor ran for about 5 minutes and then shut off. I had plenty of water and plenty of ice. I tried to turn it on again and it ran for about 3 minutes and turned off again. Never getting above 3200 psi. Monday, 14 Dec, I tried it again. Same thing except this time it won't even turn back on.

Luckily I bought the extended warranty from Wally World so it's going back for a full refund. I'm going to get a "good" one this time. Going to spend the extra money and get the Omega Turbo Charger. Maybe I'll get at least one fill with it. 😃

I hope you do get at least one fill with your new compressor 😮. I've gotten many dozens out of my Yong Heng. Sorry you had bad luck with one, and hope you have better luck with the next type.

I see a lot of people have the water intake and “exhaust” in the same 5 gallon bucket. I would recommend 2 bucks, one cold water bucket for intake and empty one for “exhaust”, the water comes out after just a minute of running is quite warm so I let the warm water collect in the empty bucket and refill the intake with fresh cold water and definitely helped me with thermal regulation or running a bit longer before I shut it off at 55 degrees. The factory pump will empty the 5 gallon bucket in around 5 minutes and if you put your hand in the water it’s almost bath water warm, my guess it’s around 80 degrees when the intake water is around 55-60 degrees.

I started that way, too. Putting a lot of ice in a lot of water... until I realized that I was cooling the compressor way too much during its very short run times. In a couple of minutes, the water temperature of the exhaust is barely warm. I prefer to limit thermal differentials. Of course, if you start to run that thing for extended periods of times, and as much as I like this compressor, I really don't think it's made for that, it would be a totally different ball game