I asked a similar question a few weeks ago, and I completely agree with the majority of responses here. I think we’d all prefer to have the real deal, but I think most people are in the same boat. If it does the job, it’s good enough.

Making a generic copy of something off patent isn’t illegal, and that’s what manufacturing in China is all about. Making a counterfeit version is illegal, so be careful what you’re buying.

I personally have just bought a generic version of an Atlas bipod from China. I know that I’ll have to make some adjustments to it when it arrives and that the quality won’t be anywhere close to a genuine Atlas, but for the shooting I’m currently doing, it will be adequate. It’s certainly something that I’ll look to upgrade in the future though.

Now I just need to find the courage to drill into my stock 😩

remnar,

I see that the LaRue QD mounts cant, but do they pan as well?

Justin

My LaRue mounted Harris bipod does not. (I also use it on my powderburners, which is what it was originally purchased for.) Larue sells the Atlas and the Magpul bipods, with their mount, that do pan. I have not tried the Magpul, but it seems like it would be a very light package which might also fit the bill for an air rifle, where panning is a necessity. It might be a perfect fit for the Brocock Bantam Sniper HR-

https://www.larue.com/category/parts-accessories/bipods/magpul-bipods/

renmar,

Thank you, sir. That Magpul looks like it would work out pretty slick for whacking squirrels and such.

Justin

I have a question about the use of the LaRue mount with the Harris bipod. I've used Harris bipods for over 30 years with no problems. Mine have all been the traditional Harris that mounts simply to a stud. Frankly, that has been one of its attractions for me, simple and easy to install, minimal drilling, and totally functional. So, what is the advantage in adding the LaRue mount? I'm sure there is one, I'm just missing it. I installed short Picatinny rails on a couple of rifles on which I wanted the features of the Atlas bipod. But, when working with the thin forends of rifles like the FX Crown or Daystate Red Wolf, a simple stud sure makes life easy. But, as I said, I'm probably missing something here. 

Years ago I found that LaRue mounts are simply better made than any other mount out there, at least for me. I use them exclusively on powderburners with rails. I like the way they fit, and repeat. On the Harris bipod I use the custom/integral mount system that lowers weight, height, and adds a larger adjustment knob.

I believe you are exactly right, with regard to a sling stud on the applications listed. I do really not have any desire to drill into my Red Wolf stock, especially given that it is a soft laminate.

I am thinking about giving the Magpul a try on my Sniper though,...more Dillo Dust!