Hey everyone,

I’ve been lurking on this site now and again for the last few years, but I’m finally getting around to getting back into airguns after a few years off whilst I moved around the world.

I’m picking up my new rifle soon, and I’m thinking about a bipod. I’m looking for something picatinny mountable - Atlas and Accutac seemingly the obvious go tos here. But! Can somebody explain to me why one of these would be several-hundred-dollars-better than a similar style unbranded version?

I used to have a Chinese made unbranded Harris Bipod copy on my BSA R10. It cost me about £25, and was absolutely perfect for my needs.

Have I answered my own question, or is there a good reason to spend the money on the real deal?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Bipods like the Atlas offer the current top of the line characteristics. The Atlas offers pan-and-tilt capabilities, which may be important if you are not shooting paper from a bench. There are several companies which produce "Atlas-like" appearance (such as Green Blob), but they leave out some small details which can be important. I have one of the $40 knock-offs of the Atlas, and after doing a few side-to-side pans, the locking nut which adjusts the tension tends to loosen. There are well known modifications which relieve this problem, but they are not needed on the genuine article.

Simple answer, if you have the money to spend then buy the real one because it is better than the copy and you are paying for original engineering.

You already have first hand experience with a clone which you stated it did fine for you. Believe it or not there are people out there who will frown on theft of intellectual property design engineering. I have them both and I do agree the clone has its quirks but had I not spent the money for the real one, I would have never realized why many buy the real one because it is actually more durable and there are no issues at all with the original.

You can also keep in mind you only need one of these to swap it among your guns and it shouldn't fail when you want to take your million dollar shot.

On the other hand many may feel they are not worth paying 10 times more. I can tell you that at least you will feel better and more confident with the original.

CA

So I'm just going to throw it out there: I like the Harris style over the Atlas. I've played with them, but honestly have never seen the appeal of the Atlas design as it is heavier, more complicated, and requires a hand to flip the legs up or down. The Harris style meanwhile does the primary thing I need of a bipod which is to say it is relatively light, allows some movement for cant (adjustable), and the legs can be popped up and down with no hands in case you don't have one free. The real deal Harris is also much more reasonably priced. Honestly I'd like the features of the Harris in an even lighter package, that is where I see the primary room for improvement. 

My 2c. 

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I finally got around to ordering a bipod recently. I went with an Atlas clone from eBay, which turned up today.

And what a piece of junk it is. I paid about AU$45 including postage, and that got me something that just isn’t fit for purpose at all. I had expected to have to make a few modifications to get the best out of it, but this thing cannot be made useable.

A lesson learned. I’ll be saving and getting the real deal now. I won’t make that mistake again.

Something that doesn't really get mentioned here much are the UTG Recon 360 bipod.

Pretty much all of the function of a typical Atlas, rock solid build and very cheap comparatively.

I have 2 of these plus a Harris. A few mates have atlases and clones thereof - can't say I've felt I'm missing out.

Thx for pointing the UTG out. I checked them out and ordered one from PA right after I saw your post.