• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bipod position

Hello TommyT,

The leg angle also changes the basic elevation of the muzzle. Depending on your shooting position and rear bag height (if used), sometimes you want it higher or lower. If you're shooting at a target below you in elevation, you want less height from your bipod and vice-versa.

When I'm filling my PCP and want it to stand by itself, I need to point the legs straight down, for instance, to keep the pistol grip from hitting the ground.

Another advantage to having the legs extend forward is to minimize the effect of wobbly. If you have a long stick, and balance it at the middle and wiggle the back end (think 'stock') a little bit, the front end (think 'muzzle') moves exactly that much. The farther forward you move the balance, the less impact movement at the 'stock' has. A lot of airgun designs are disappointing in that they seem to expect you to mount the bipod right in front of the trigger guard where it does the least good. The farther forward you can get the feet, the less minor movement at the stock will change your POI.

Having the legs sticking too far forward makes it hard to get a mechanical bias by leaning into the bipod, so that's a disadvantage. 

The ideal situation is to have a bipod mounting point that is far forward so that you can keep your legs close to straight down and get all the aforementioned benefits as well.

GsT