• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bipod on a Springer

I understand the whole "artillery hold" and recoil impulse with springers/gas ram guns, but has anyone mounted a bipod to the stock and used one successfully? I currently shoot off of my backpack when I'm in the field, but I've been wanting to switch to shooting sticks for my stability with standing shots or a stock attached bipod instead of off my bag still, just don't want to have too much of a negative affect on accuracy.

I understand the whole "artillery hold" and recoil impulse with springers/gas ram guns, but has anyone mounted a bipod to the stock and used one successfully? I currently shoot off of my backpack when I'm in the field, but I've been wanting to switch to shooting sticks for my stability with standing shots or a stock attached bipod instead of off my bag still, just don't want to have too much of a negative affect on accuracy.
Side mount bipods work very well. This style has two legs and one mounts to each side of the forestock. The huge negative to what you want to do is the fact that when you sight in your rifle with bipods and then go to shoot from shooting sticks or offhand the point of impact will drastically change. Bipods are great for bench shooting, however you will not be bench shooting in the field.
A good set of homemade shooting sticks is your best option in the field. I use 3/4 six foot dowels tied together with a Pursik knot, pipe insulation foam slipped over the top part and I drill the bottom and epoxy 20 penny nails into the sticks, this way you can push the sticks into the ground and they will stay standing up. If you shoot sitting or prone naturally use shorter sticks. You will also want to sight in using those same shooting sticks. Place the rifle on them the same spot each time and you will retain accuracy, change the hold and well all small game is safe. Grin

Cheers
Kit

Reactions: WorriedMan
AG,
Search YouTube for a May 6, 2022 video, by Airgun Detectives, on the Benjamin Trail NP XL Magnum. He mounted a bipod, and think he offers a mounting system. This is the only springer (nitro) gun I can recall with a bipod. Maybe someone better at computers than I, can bring the video here. WM
I can do one better than Google, I have the rifle...lol.
Umarex at one point actually made a rifle called the Fuel. Bought it 7 years ago before I joined forums and learned more about spring/gas rammed guns and bipods.
Pretty much the same idea as the set Airgun Detectives sells, but Umarex actually built theirs into the stock. No pic rails, they were mounted with screws through the stock to allow them to pivot when you wanted them. Unless they were designed to move back and forth when the gun recoiled, they were a bit wobbly.
My Fuel in .22 was also one of my oddball rifles because it actually shoots better with a firm hold than it does with the artillery hold. Also must not have been that great a seller since it's been a few years since they made them.
95andFuel.jpg

Reactions: WorriedMan
Well yeah, if it works out great, all good and not out a lot if it doesn't.
Downside is that if it doesn't, the OP now has holes in the stock he drilled to mount the rails for the bipod arms...lol.
For the little it's worth, I have a set of AD's setup. Bought it for a PCP that has pic rails but never did use it.
The Fuel I mentioned above I ended up taking them off. They tended to get in the way of holding the rifle
and if I wanted to try and use them to brace on something, I lost time and shots opening them.

using sticks , it is easiest to mark your hold point . to find the best hold point you can cut into a roll of painters tape about 3/16 deep and peal that off in one piece . put this on your stock to place sticks in same spot every time . OH not to rest stick on , just against the edge of tape marker .

P. S. you can use this also to hold the same off hand till you have muscle memory to hold same place every time

Well yeah, if it works out great, all good and not out a lot if it doesn't.
Downside is that if it doesn't, the OP now has holes in the stock he drilled to mount the rails for the bipod arms...lol.
For the little it's worth, I have a set of AD's setup. Bought it for a PCP that has pic rails but never did use it.
The Fuel I mentioned above I ended up taking them off. They tended to get in the way of holding the rifle
and if I wanted to try and use them to brace on something, I lost time and shots opening them.

Ya, that cosmetics is a catch 22 on finding out.

20 guys can tell you it works great on there's but you try it and it dont for you . So ya know. Its all a own risk thing in the end good or bad.. then its a you know better next time.😜

Personly a nice wood stock id not do it. A synthetic/ plastic id be more inclined to . You got got to make that call on your own stuff if its worth it or not.

I dont know , bipod never intrested me much being if im in the fiels i shoot off hand or knee or prop off a tree , ECT. If im on the bench i prefer bag way.

Last edited: