Binoculars for eyeglass wearer

I have astigmatism in both eyes and wear progressive lenses. Needless to say I have a single prescription glasses for optic use. I have a few pairs of compact hunting binoculars that are okay, but I am looking for a decent pair of non compact full size binoculars for general use and bird identification. I find the extended eye relief pairs I have still limit field of view.

Any recommendations will be most helpful.

I find binoculars and especially high power and heavy ones hard to hold steady. Especially for long periods of time. Before investing in expensive binoculars consider a spotting scope and a tripod. I can see so much better using that arrangement. Of course portability is reduced but a carbon fiber tripod and a modest sized spotting scope (I like the leupold scopes) works well for me. 
I do a far amount of ground hog hunting and I use binoculars some but I count on the spotting scope.

Look at the 8-1/2-42 athlon crounus at cameraland thats on sell ,really like mine

Great deal on the Cronus and a few others 22mm ER is great also.The newer versions don't seem to have the same eye relief.

I find binoculars and especially high power and heavy ones hard to hold steady. Especially for long periods of time. Before investing in expensive binoculars consider a spotting scope and a tripod. I can see so much better using that arrangement. Of course portability is reduced but a carbon fiber tripod and a modest sized spotting scope (I like the leupold scopes) works well for me. 
I do a far amount of ground hog hunting and I use binoculars some but I count on the spotting scope.

I may go for a package deal at Cameraland spotting scope and binoculars suggested above.

http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com = best current site for info 

My brother in law got the Hawke Frontier 8x42 ED X binocular that, they said, was one of the best buys and were they ever right! I use to collect binoculars and still have a pair of (20 year old) Leica Trinovids and these Hawkes have a better view. I paid $1000 for the Leica 20 years ago and the Hawks can be had for about $350 today. Binoculars have really come a long way.

I am NOT saying that you should get these particular binoculars. I am saying that this review site is actually doing very good reviews that are not just sponsered commercials by the optics companies. 

I have found that fold down eye cups are helpful but the eye relief for me anyways needs to be a usable 17mm or more. I have purchased binoculars claiming 18-19mm of eye relief only to find out that about 15mm is usable. So at 17-19mm the user is not getting the full field of view. Many pairs I have tried under $200 just don't seem to have the eye relief needed. I may have to use the "Odoyle method" and order multi-pairs from a dealer with a good return policy and just keep the pair that works for me.

I bought mine 4 years ago. I also wanted to use with glasses. After trying all the good ones I bought the Swarovski, on mine the eyecups screw down letting me use glasses no issue. Mine are 10x42 awesome not too much magnification, super clear. Go try them all out for yourself. I spent more than I expected, but I'm happy. I don't mean just try one brand, check them all out.

I bought mine 4 years ago. I also wanted to use with glasses. After trying all the good ones I bought the Swarovski, on mine the eyecups screw down letting me use glasses no issue. Mine are 10x42 awesome not too much magnification, super clear. Go try them all out for yourself. I spent more than I expected, but I'm happy. I don't mean just try one brand, check them all out.

No shops in my area carry quality binoculars. So I will have to order and return the ones I do not like.

I have a Athon Midas 8x42 which has served me well. It has good eye relief & relatively wide field of view. 10x42 you start having to work to keep it steady. If you want to spend real money (i.e the birder crowd) it's Swarovski > Leica, Zeiss (>> Athlon). Nikon isn't considered top-tier but I looked through a pair of Nikon EDG and it was better than the Athlon I ended up. Just couldn't justify the price difference.

keithd I ordered a few pairs to see what I like and do a side by side. I spoke to dealers on what I was doing and got a window of time to try them. Athlon Optics Cronus 8.5x42 MONARCH 5 8x42 Hawke Frontier 8×42 ED X

Good for you! That is the way to do it. Try them against each other and return the ones you don't like. I wish Eagle Optics were still around, I use to do this with them a lot. I will be shocked if you don't find those Hawe's to be the best; especially considering the price. I think they are an awesome deal.

My Findings, in my opinion for what it is worth, I am no expert. My eyes are 2020 with astigmatism corrective lenses. I used my shooting glasses (single prescription not bifocal or progressive). I normally wear progressives. I find how and where on your face the eye glasses are really effect using binoculars, monoculars and spotting scopes.

I got out 3 days with multiple weather conditions from sunny, overcast and mixed bag of rain sleet and snow. I was in the mountains over looking Mt. Washington and the presidential range. All three performed well, the Athlon and Hawke were neck and neck with the Hawke I believe slightly more vivid. Eye relief and comfort on both were great. The Nikon while optically good as well just did not seem to fit me like the Hawke and Athlon.

I really like the Athlon Optics Cronus 8.5×42 I am keeping them. The Hawke Frontier 8×42 ED X are fantastic although the deal I got on the Cronus swayed my vote. My eyes really do not see $200 of price difference. The Monarch 5 nice but just did not feel right for me, they may for you and are very nice.

The Hawke and Nikons are on their way back and now to find a compact set for use on my motorcycles.

Hope that my findings can help some of you with a similar issue.

Thanks to all for the suggestions

Congratulations! Good binoculars are a must have and you can amortize the expense over a lifetime. I am curious though, where I was looking Dvor had the Hawkes selling for $350 and I thought the Athlons were going for $750. Just how good of a deal did you find and where, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!

Edit: I just saw that when I checked I was looking at the wrong Athlons. Yes indeed you can get those for a better price than the Hawkes, but not by that much if you join Dvor at Optics Planet. They have great deals occasionally, and they can be spotty on returns, but if the product works out, you've paid the lowest price around. Right now they are having a sale on the Hawkes for $345. I'll try to paste a link but I don't know if it will work if you are not signed in.

https://www.dvor.com/hawke-sport-optics-frontier-ed-x-8x42-binocular.html?promotion=high-end-binoculars-24-2021-03-29