• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bino and tripod

How many are using this combo either as a substitute for a spotter or in addition to a spotter?

Spotting scopes exhaust me and I end up with a headache (both alpha or bargain scopes). Maybe if I used them more often this would not be the case but I'm a flatlander who gets to the mtns for elk once or twice a year. I've been considering some higher magnification binos with a tripod. One of the elk country photos got me interested again.

Thanks

My spotter is a Redfield. Discontinued. My bino's are Nikon Monarch's. Discontinued.

Love them both, but can't help much here.

If you are backpacking, I'd personally use the 10x bino's and put a tripod mount on them. you can use a small light tripod, bipod, or even monopod for support. If driving, get the biggest, heaviest spotter you can afford. Do recommend an 80mm objective. Much brighter.

Remember, this opinion is from someone that can barely walk due to MD. Take it for what it's worth.

I prefer a tripod and binoculars for glassing because I can do it a lot longer without eye fatigue. The problem is that none of my binoculars have enough magnification to satisfy me. Here out West, we often glass for long, long periods of time so even though my binoculars are lacking(10x42), I use them more often than not though, otherwise I get a headache. I usually have the spotter too, for when I need a close up look but I don’t like carrying both, especially at my age. Those Nikon Monarchs that Saltlake mentioned are awesome! Really high power binoculars with good glass are expensive and I’d only use them for glassing a few times a year. I don’t deer and elk hunt enough anymore to justify the expense. If you do glass a lot, they’re awesome though. Kowa binos are crazy good if you ever get a chance to check the out!!! Very very heavy, have to be used wit a tripod and cost a lot but they’re spectacular. 

Stoti

Okay this is a few times I have not been so sick....SOME HOW I lost my Steiner 8 x 32 Steiner predator series binoculars. When I moved to the Netherlands some where in the move my Steiners got misplaced and it made me ill. The predator series is designed for hunting and low light conditions. When I can afford it I am getting another pair. As others have said good glass is not and will NEVER be cheap. There might be good shoot short term glass, but good long term glass is NEVER cheap, which is generally European or Japanese, not China.

https://www.steiner-optics.com/predator-series-optics

Here is my honest opinion money for value: https://www.amazon.com/Steiner-2443-Predator-8x42-Binoculars/dp/B00GHJRDNU/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw7rWKBhAtEiwAJ3CWLBnq-VVPfeUdaawB02IOb7gBrA7viruSkBqmPOq7X_bZkRqdq0UAGRoCtY8QAvD_BwE&hvadid=410075179859&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1026201&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4808676382778271461&hvtargid=kwd-353062001405&hydadcr=18472_11409408&keywords=steiner+predator+8x42&qid=1632534911&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFCOUo0N0hIVURYSDImZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA3Mzk4NTYyV0pUNEhORVFGTzRIJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA5MjgxMzkyTEdORUVZM0hPOTdaJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==