Bigger is better...or at least more fun

So... I've been doing the custom PCP airgun thing for a couple years now. Started with a 25 cal on a mostly baker/magnum/LW/cothran discovery pattern platform. Then a 30 cal on the same kind of mixed hardware platform. Then a 35 cal on totally Cothran/TJ parts (except the lower and stock). Now, a 45 cal on Cothran/TJ stuff with the same Benjamin lower. This just keeps getting better. The bigger the slug, the more power I can get and that means more fun. I get to use my moulds from my previous days in center fire.

Now I'm using a 315 grain slug that I previously used for my 45-70 and 458 SOCOM rifles. My 35 seems to like a slug from my black powder days. A 127 grain miniball mould. This is just too much fun. Either rifle can drive a slug thru a 2X4 at 100 yards...no problem. Can't wait to level one of them on a feral pig at some point.

You guys tell me, what's next?

Chris

Sure has been a nice diversion from centerfires the last 2 years. I couldn't get reloading supplies and didn't want to burn up the ammo I had, so I started messing with airguns. Like most, I guess, I started at the low end (springers, pumpers etc) and worked my way up to PCP's. I doubt I'll ever not be messing with these things, even when reloading supplies return. There are very few "home shop modifiable" centerfire rifles out there, but these airguns are all capable of being disassembled, repaired and modified in the home shop...a really cool feature... I love to tinker. 

Chris

Show me a picture of the 45 if you would. This is my Cothran 45, my new favorite hike and hunter!
0CC8E9E5-753D-4922-98C2-8821E2DB3E12.1640360427.jpeg

Hey! You found the same stocks I did, Suryphatoo or something like that on Ebay...out of Bankok. I'm waiting for him to make another now for this 45, I currently have one on each my 30 and 35.
complete.1640393399.jpg
Stockaction.1640393419.jpg

These are pics of my 35 right after I did the final assembly, it has a full length airtube now. I'll post pics of the 45 when it's all finished. Needless to say, it looks pretty much identical with the exception of about 10 inches more barrel and airtube. Currenly it is wearing one of those Crosman black plastic stocks and a discovery airtube. Both hopefully will change in the next few weeks.

Chris

Now we're definately off topic, but OK. I came at this airguning thing just a couple years ago. Prior to that, I spent most of my life behind the sights of centerfires. I too have giants, 45-70's, 458 SOCOMs and the like. In fact, I use the moulds I had for those to make the "slugs" I'm using in these. And those rifles are just mothballed for the moment.

Have not done a 50BMG yet, but it is on my radar. Once this rotten reloading supply embargo lifts.

Don't think I'll ever back burner the airguns though, these big bores are just too much fun, and cost very little to shoot.

Chris

We were out shooting this morning, I brought the Cothran 45 along. I had drilled out and installed the short Cothran tube shown above on my 35, just to get a bit more pressure (the 45 valve uses a 0.5" OD transfer port!). 

We were shooting at some 2x4 tailings I had left over from a garage shelving project, just pieces of 2x4 no more than 6 or 7 inches long. At about 50 yards, the 45 would shred them, one shot and they were in many much smaller pieces. I was using a 315 grain slug that I normally cast for my 45-70, dead accurate and with a meplat of something like 0.3" it just slaps the crap out of whatever it hits. This is as much fun as I've had since switching to air power! 

Chris

Well, certainly not like shooting a .22 pellet that costs way less than a penny. But then, I'll never shoot that many of them at a time... let's see; I've been getting lead for $2/lb, that's 7000 grains, my slugs are 315 grains, so 22.22 slugs/lb or 9 cents a slug. Add a tad bit for the electricity it takes to melt the lead and fill the tank, lets say an even 10 cents a shot...assuming of course that we are not going to amortize the equipment it takes to do all that.

So: 10 cents a shot. For something that will knock down a deer. I consider that pretty economical. Even when I can get reloading supplies, I can't build a deer round for that cheap.

But yeah, not a plinker either...darned fun nonetheless.

Chris

Oooooooowe! I finally got the long airtube and stock. What a difference! Here is some data:

first blush: Discovery length air tube at 3000psi, 315 grain slug at 600fps (251fpe)

Second blush: 33 inch Cothran air tube at 3500psi, 315 grain slug at 730fps (373fpe); 415 grain slug at 650fps (389fpe)!

What a difference a little volume can make! I'll get some pics posted soon of all the PCP's I've been working on.

Chris