• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Big Snapper

On the left is poison ivy, on the right is not. Sumac maybe? Elderberry? The pic on the right is definitely NOT poison ivy.
I knew one or the other.
I was working with gloves didn’t realize my gloves had the sap on. Was using gloves for deer and horse fly swatter. Worst dose ever. Still got scars. Crow

Reactions: BackStop
On the left is poison ivy, on the right is not. Sumac maybe? Elderberry? The pic on the right is definitely NOT poison ivy.
This might be a little long winded.
How do you come up with elderberry or sumac? May I ask? It's a hickory sapling.
Dad loved to make elderberry wine. I remember sneaking it down to the pond and stashing it in the snowbank while we "enjoyed" it as we ice scated. I also remember bringing it up again and turning the snow purple! And I've had more than my share of the jelly and pies. Elderberry is a shrub. Bushy. And prefers moisture and sunlight. The branches have pith in the center. We cut short lengths of it and pushed out the center. Makes a perfect spout for tapping the maples in March.
In Canada Sumac would most likely be Staghorn. Needs sunlight and well drained soil. Many folks claim it to be poisonous. However the stalked red berries are very rich in vitamin C. We used it to make a drink similar to pink lemonade. Boil it, strain it, sweeten it, cool it, drink it.
Often confused with sumac is Alanthis. Easily distinguished. Break a small branch and sniff it. Smells kinda like peanut butter. Alanthis and mulberry came here from China in the 1800's when they tried to bring the silk industry here. Silk worms love to eat it.
Around here in PA snappers come out of the water to spawn in May usually after a thunder storm. The sliders come out of the streams to do it in July after or during rain.
They often lay eggs in mulch beds.

I knew one or the other.
I was working with gloves didn’t realize my gloves had the sap on. Was using gloves for deer and horse fly swatter. Worst dose ever. Still got scars. Crow
When I was young and dumb and into that stupid stuff I was clearing an area for a "gorilla grow" (I outgrew that stupidity). I don't normally get Poison ivy so I wasn't worried about tearing it out and digging it up. Well I got some sap on my arms and the stuff actually burned holes in my skin. The dried sap is like glue. Doesn't come off easy. After my excursion that day I spent some time with my gal. As I sat with here I inadvertently(?) rested my hand on her thigh. Next day she had a nasty poison ivy hand print there. Lasted a while too. Not real impressed with me for that! She was like an angry snapper. HA!

When I was young and dumb and into that stupid stuff I was clearing an area for a "gorilla grow" (I outgrew that stupidity). I don't normally get Poison ivy so I wasn't worried about tearing it out and digging it up. Well I got some sap on my arms and the stuff actually burned holes in my skin. The dried sap is like glue. Doesn't come off easy. After my excursion that day I spent some time with my gal. As I sat with here I inadvertently(?) rested my hand on her thigh. Next day she had a nasty poison ivy hand print there. Lasted a while too. Not real impressed with me for that! She was like an angry snapper. HA!
Could've been worse... you could've got it on your Jeff Bezos.
bezos - Copy.png

@heavy-impact or anyone who eats them; would you eat a turtle that size of that last one? How old you think it may be?Is the meat still any good on an older turtle?
I've eaten 50 lb ones and never had a bad one. They're said to grow 1/2 to 1 lb per year and alligator snapping turtles can live close to two hundred years. You can find stories of them being cleaned and finding civil war era bullets embedded in their backs and old arrow heads.
Snapping turtles love blackberries so people set turtle hooks when the blackberries start to ripen. Snapping turtles also have a worm like lure on the end of their tongue. They lay on lake bottoms with their mouth open twitching the lure. When a fish tries to take the lure the turtle strikes like a snake to catch the fish. They can strike as fast as any snake you've seen.

hqdefault[1].jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: freak-eye
I grew up in N Louisiana along one of the Mississippi River tributaries. Those are small compared to some turtles I have seen. They are not too common exactly in our neighborhood in E Texas, but say one about that size crawl across the yard. There is a big wide creek bottom about 1/2mile east of us and a small lake about the same distance south so I know there are plenty there. A lady we know about 15 miles south has a large pond on her property and they got a 600 lb alligator out of it a few years back, but they are not too far from a river bottom, so good pathway for gators and turtles.

Looks more like Virginia Creeper. Poison Ivy and poision oak have leaves in groups of 3, those are 5.
It's not virginia creeper. I have lots of that in my area and the leaf looks like mariju..a. Touch virginia creeper leaves wont bother you like poison ivy. It's the sap in the stem of virginia creeper that acts like poison ivy. Poison oak looks like an oak leaf hence the name.
If you get any of these on you immediately treat it like axle grease. You should scrub it with mechanics hand cleaner or a strong detergent and create some friction while scrubbing. If you do this your reaction will be mild to none at all.