Big Scope for a little gun

I enjoyed shooting the 30 yard challenge but I noticed it was easier to get decent scores with my Athlon 6-24 than with the 4-16 or lower magnification scopes on my other guns. So I started thinking of getting a 8-32. Then I was searching them this week and noticed Optics Planet had the Vector Sentinel 8-32x50 for under $200. That's kind of my price point. I have not had good luck with scope closer to $100 but the scopes I've purchased that were around $200 have normally worked well. I've also been wanting to try a Vector scope so I ordered it and mounted it today. I put it on another West Hunter one piece mount I had on hand. I use these on my 3 P35 and can thus easily move scopes between rifles (but I don't very often).

I've only used it a little to get the rifle sighted in but I like it so far. It's only in the low 40s here today so I didn't stay outside long. I did not shim it so I had to turn it up quite a bit and thought the clicks were not working right. But then I remembered it is 1/8th MOA per click. The clicks were thus working great. They also feel more precise than my Athlon and Primary Arms scopes similar in price. The 4-14 PA may be as precise. I like the fact that the adjustments lock when you push the knob back down. The 4-16 PA works that way but the 4-14 doesn't. It doesn't seem like great glass but shouldn't be at this price point. It is good enough. The POI was the same at 16X as at 32X.

The magnification adjustment seems overly stiff to me but it works. The diopter adjustment is very light. The flip up cap it came with did not fit the diopter lens very well, it was loose. But it fit the PA 4-16 great and another cap I had on hand fit the Vector well. Probably the most annoying thing is the parallax has no labeling for distance. I knew that when I bought it and will probably put on a bigger wheel and label it myself. I also noticed that my diopter adjustment changed the necessary parallax setting. That may be part of the reason scope manufacturers may not label the parallax knob. No significant drawbacks so far. With a good fitting cap on the diopter it won't move around and the magnification adjustment may loosen up. Not sure what I will do about the parallax knob but I managed to get a UTG on my Athlon and may try that on this one too. The rubber center has some give in it that helps fit it to other scopes (and it's inexpensive).

Target scope.jpg

I want to use it to do a few 30 yard challenge targets and see if my score improves. But I haven't had time so far and the weather is going to be cool here for the forseeable future but I may have to just ignore that.

I mounted it in the one piece mount a little differently than I have done this before. My method depends on the picatinny rail being horizontal and the mount being flat. I used one of those tapered scope mounting blocks laid flat to take up most of the space between the top of the mount and the flat bottom portion of the scope. I then put different straight feeler guages on top of the block with the scope loose so it would turn in the rings until I took up all the clearance. I should have backed off .001 before I tightened the scope caps but I didn't and the feeler gauge was a pain to pull out. But the scope seems to be perfectly aligned. Vertical clicks only move POI vertically and vice versa.

I like the Athlon Talos 6-24 I have on my P35-22 but it has been used almost exclusively on targets. Still haven't found a cooperative squirrel but I put the 177 away for now and will keep looking for an opportunity for the 22. But I am not sure I like the 6-24 for hunting. I've shot a few pest birds with it but the fine recticle that works so well for targets can be difficult to see when the target is in a shadow or otherwise in reduced light. I'm going to get a few and then decide.

I am sure using the new 32X on targets will also teach me some things. But I see it as purely a target scope. Plinking would be fine but I think 8X makes finding the target in the scope too difficult and the reticle is too fine.