• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Big orange dual stage filter media?

bigHUN

Jan 16, 2020
L4G7X4 Canada
Anybody tried to open this media filter? I didn't open it yet but feels like this end caps are glued together??? I don't want to ruin it if there is some trick how to unscrew the end cap, I have some desiccant media I would replace just for piece in mind.
When I got it I opened the second stage, this is the filter "element" inside, but if my memory serves me well I have 3 layer media with biggest ratio is a carbon.

S8addaf862a274f13a12cddcb099daf55l.jpg

I am running the big orange dual stage filter for about 40 hrs and for now all looks OK, no noticeable odour on the output line towards the tank. The imput line yes I can smell and feels like oil. So this makes me think the filter both stages working.

This is my setup for refills, running it about 2-3 times a month, filling two 14 L tanks usually same day.

20220926_140617.jpg

About 60 ish hrs on YH, I never let it reach 55C. I am taking my time to fill the tanks, also taking good time to cool all down between runs. If all need an hour no problem.
When I am turning off the compressor the high flow fan at the rear end I let it run longer to coll the internals as well.

high flow fan.JPG

Reactions: Crimson Mist
I don't have exactly the filters that you have, but I did order a pair off e-bay and it looks like much of it was made at the same factory as yours.

For my order, they had a selection of filter media available and I got the moisture-only variety (no carbon). The caps on the filters came off pretty easily -- screw-off.

BigHun,
Thanks for the post, I've been wondering about the twin copper-colored filter set-up. My fill station has a copper-colored coalescing water filter (by wall) which contains no media, just baffles and chambers which "trap" heavier water/oil molecules at the bottom while releasing clean air at the top. I don't think these are meant to be opened. The long gold filter contains a plastic, three-media cartridge, which, is meant to be changed, I assume, since two were included, the end caps unscrewing. I thought the twin filter set-up, like yours, is a fancier water coalescing system, possibly for SCUBA tanks, however, I think you're saying the second tube contains activated charcoal and your post relates to the difficulty in removing the end caps on the other. If, I'm reading this correctly, the first tube end caps might not be designed for removal, thus, explaining the difficulty. WM
IMG_20220226_110144.jpg

Reactions: Crimson Mist
Sorry, we got slightly misaligned...
I don't have exactly the filters that you have, but I did order a pair off e-bay and it looks like much of it was made at the same factory as yours.

For my order, they had a selection of filter media available and I got the moisture-only variety (no carbon). The caps on the filters came off pretty easily -- screw-off.
I am using the factory-dual unit and more then happy with it, I did not order extra filter, with in mind if I would need to replace I would just refill DIY.
When the big orange arrived, in the manual it said do not open the first stage. I still tried but unsuccessfully, it must be permanently closed as appeared to me. I did open the second stage with media filter, only for education purposes, and as much I remember I could not unscrew the transparent filter caps.
For now I am OK how all works, but...next time I am bored that will be my next project :)

BigHUN,
The more I think about it, I'm leaning towards the dual tube set-up being tailored towards SCBA and SCUBA users. The first tube, not recommended to be opened, is the same as my coalescing water filter, the second, containing activated charcoal to remove odors or tastes, to provide more satisfactory breathing air. I think BurntDog called this one correctly. WM

Two years ago I did not had anything other then a shorty black with some cotton balls in it. Last year I had to open my Impact Reg and what I saw inside, immediately search up on aliexpress the biggest water/oil separator I could get for less money. This how I ended up with this my orange dual tube setup.
Me speculating only, I have 2 large bottles of orange desiccant bought last year from amazon, when the time comes to refresh the second stage filter media I would do DIY. This is all. But how to open it without braking the plastic.
When I am tinkering deeper even if I crack the filter plastic housing I shall be able to glue the cracks = the filter is completely burried inside a high pressure chamber nowhere to leak?

Anybody tried to open this media filter? I didn't open it yet but feels like this end caps are glued together??? I don't want to ruin it if there is some trick how to unscrew the end cap, I have some desiccant media I would replace just for piece in mind.
When I got it I opened the second stage, this is the filter "element" inside, but if my memory serves me well I have 3 layer media with biggest ratio is a carbon.

View attachment 296424

I am running the big orange dual stage filter for about 40 hrs and for now all looks OK, no noticeable odour on the output line towards the tank. The imput line yes I can smell and feels like oil. So this makes me think the filter both stages working.

This is my setup for refills, running it about 2-3 times a month, filling two 14 L tanks usually same day.

View attachment 296425
About 60 ish hrs on YH, I never let it reach 55C. I am taking my time to fill the tanks, also taking good time to cool all down between runs. If all need an hour no problem.
When I am turning off the compressor the high flow fan at the rear end I let it run longer to coll the internals as well.

View attachment 296427
I think I remember the directions saying not to open as I have the same one. I am the guy with the yong heng oring question.

I think I remember the directions saying not to open as I have the same one. I am the guy with the yong heng oring question.
I checked the carbon filter when it was still in the box and never again.
I think I have well over 20 hours on that filter insert, but a second stage never drained, I smelled the air output couple times and it was fresh and pleasant.