• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Big game with limited power, .177 or .22?

Hi lads, I live in a country with very stupid gun laws, fortuntelly (for the moment) they don't pay much attention to airguns, but that may change in a near future.

I have some airguns for the hobby, but none of them specially powerfull cause I don't want to surpass the country legal limit, but you can have a full power air gun as long as it is limited. I have the chance to aquire a 30 FPE gun in .177, or a 40+ FPE in .22, of course both are limited to legal specs, but it will be really easy to put them on full power, I have no intention to do so, BUT... I'm also a bit prepper, not zombie apocalipse level... but more like medium to long term shortages and gradual turdtholation of my already struggle to grasp to ''1rst world'' category country.

In an extreme situation that may never happen, I would consider to hunt for food, mainly small game, there is plenty around here, but I also prefer to have the option to shoot a hog, there is plenty of them also, they truly are an infestation and a problem that would solve if gun laws and hunting permits where more reasonable to get. Yes, I see the infamous .177 sub 20 fpe hog kill and I know it can be done, and I also know that those power levels are far beyond the recomended to take efectivelly anything big, but we are talking on SHTF situation, you, your airgun, a hog on sight... .177 30 fpe or .22 40+fpe?

Reactions: Hat0
I wouldn't think of less than at least a 30 cal for game but even that is on the small side and would consider 357/9mm for the minimum. Especially hogs that could get enraged and charge. Not to mention to get a clean kill with minimal trauma to the animal.

Sadly it sounds like with your laws that might not be an option. I would certainly go as large as you could with the restrictions you are faced with.

BTW wouldnt this best be in the hunting subforum vs general?

Shtf situation even more reason to not attempt a hog with sub 20fpe. No hospital or ambulance and 1 hog tusk later. You are dead. A spear maybe bit you still need more backup protection. If you are a marksman you can take a hog with 30fpe and up in .177, but with less is not a good idea, i still have a 9mm as backup anytime I am near feral hogs. Which in Ky, can be any time of day in the field.

Yeah yeah I know it's not ideal, but in my country it's rare for stores to even have any ammo option in .25 cal, you must import it and this is not an option.

I can get a .177 or .22 gun with those power figures, of course I won't shoot a hog that can actually get to me, if I have to, I will be in a safe spot, with a bait or something and have my time aiming to make a clean brain shot at 30-50 yards maximum, but I need to know that the thing will drop death, not just run away like nothing.

Should I use a fancy pellet with solid point of impact like Gamo Rocket, Lethal or Prometheus (if those still exist), or just lead .177 slugs with as much weight as posible? Cause the fancy ones are usually lightweight.

I know it can be done, but you can kill a hog even just trowing a rock on the third blood moon of the year, under a magic clover circle if your zodiac sign are aligned with the pleyades star cluster... a ''possibly'' isn't enough, If I shoot something, I prefer to know that I will kill it humanely.

• Haha
Reactions: SHOMER
This is a pretty decent Hog taken with a Disco .177 tuned at 17 FPE shooting the Baracuda 10.5gr

This is an other way decent hog taken with a NP2 nitro piston .22 at 20 FPE with the Baracuda 21gr

I have a ton of pictures of solid big hogs taken with .22s but it's gonna take me some time to find them

This is a pretty decent Hog taken with a Disco .177 tuned at 17 FPE shooting the Baracuda 10.5gr

This is an other way decent hog taken with a NP2 nitro piston .22 at 20 FPE with the Baracuda 21gr

I have a ton of pictures of solid big hogs taken with .22s but it's gonna take me some time to find them

Well, that settles it... Beautifull, clean and elegant sir.
I didn't expect that you can actually kill a hog with as low as 17 fpe .177. I actually have a springer in that range, good to know.

Would you take the same shoot in .22 at 17 fpe? or you really need the .177 in that power range?

If you must chose between .177/30 fpe or .22/40+ fpe, what will you prefer? I am more inclined to the .177 caliber for the flatter trajectory (havent really shoot a loot of .22, but people keep saying that .177 are more forgiving on elevation at long ranges) and of course the cheap as dirt ammo, plus in my country there is fewer options in .22, but if you say, that, in longer ranges the .22 will benefit more because it retains more power, I will consider the .22 option.

The 40 fpe 22 will penetrate further and do more damage. I would definitely use it over a 30 fpe 177. For maximum penetration you want a projectile that does not expand. If it expands it will not penetrate nearly as deeply. Heavier projectiles penetrate further and increase fpe. Inside 50 yards the benefits of a slug are minimal. I would use a heavy pellet. I shoot H&N baracuda Match from my more powerful 22, a P35-22. It's tuned to about 32 fpe and killed a raccoon for me with a brain shot. That pellet or the JSB 25 grain would be my suggested projectile and I would use whichever is more accurate.

Reactions: Sergey1972
Well, that settles it... Beautifull, clean and elegant sir.
I didn't expect that you can actually kill a hog with as low as 17 fpe .177. I actually have a springer in that range, good to know.

Would you take the same shoot in .22 at 17 fpe? or you really need the .177 in that power range?

If you must chose between .177/30 fpe or .22/40+ fpe, what will you prefer? I am more inclined to the .177 caliber for the flatter trajectory (havent really shoot a loot of .22, but people keep saying that .177 are more forgiving on elevation at long ranges) and of course the cheap as dirt ammo, plus in my country there is fewer options in .22, but if you say, that, in longer ranges the .22 will benefit more because it retains more power, I will consider the .22 option.
Couple points to be made;

Trajectory should not be something you consider, to drop Hogs with limited power you should never really be further then 30 yards so trajectory is irrelevant.

Then, ...I've been saying this for a long time now, since to drop big game with relatively low power the complete ball game is penetration in the skull,

I take a .25 at 60 FPE over a .30 at 70 FPE
I take a .22 at 50 FPE over a .25 at 60 FPE
and yes I would take a .177 at 30 FPE over a .22 at 40 FPE

See where I'm going here ?

more importantly, Ammo.....the right ammo will make a word of difference,

Little harder pellets like H&N are phenomenal for skull penetration,.....no Gimmick pellets, absolutely not, stay with proven solid lead,
if you can get a harder slug ( usually slugs are hollowpoint and soft ) that is a solid flat base or round you can try it but for strictly skull penetration pellets are just fine.

I hate to say this, but with your air rifle options I'd consider getting some good archery equipment instead, such as a compound bow or a crossbow. The archery equipment will take larger game and you can use your air rifles for the smaller stuff. With the archery equipment the ranges will be similar to the air rifles you have access to and will be much more effective on large game. Just my two cents good luck pal.

I hate to say this, but with your air rifle options I'd consider getting some good archery equipment instead, such as a compound bow or a crossbow. The archery equipment will take larger game and you can use your air rifles for the smaller stuff. With the archery equipment the ranges will be similar to the air rifles you have access to and will be much more effective on large game. Just my two cents good luck pal.
An arrow with a good broadhead ( and that is key ) is indeed absolutely devastating on any game, archery is my true love for hunting however I transitioned to aitguns for a couple reasons,

The vegetation is so thick here and if there's Elephant grass nearby and the dead hog ( even with the perfect Heart/Lung shot a hog will easily run 30-50 yards if not more ) manages to get inside that grass the chances to find him are very slim ( lost a few that way),
second reason, again thick vegetation, there was times I managed to get as close as 10 yards to a hog and still could not send an arrow its way because of the miriade of saplings in the way and had to let them go.

So I transitioned to aitguns.......why ?

Because hunting wise it's still as exciting as bowhunting since you still need to get close but the advantage is that the precise brain shot will drop them on the spot, no more tracking and losing game, and in the case of a lot of vegetation on the way you can thread that needle and still execute the shot.

Couple points to be made;

Trajectory should not be something you consider, to drop Hogs with limited power you should never really be further then 30 yards so trajectory is irrelevant.

Then, ...I've been saying this for a long time now, since to drop big game with relatively low power the complete ball game is penetration in the skull,

I take a .25 at 60 FPE over a .30 at 70 FPE
I take a .22 at 50 FPE over a .25 at 60 FPE
and yes I would take a .177 at 30 FPE over a .22 at 40 FPE

See where I'm going here ?

more importantly, Ammo.....the right ammo will make a word of difference,

Little harder pellets like H&N are phenomenal for skull penetration,.....no Gimmick pellets, absolutely not, stay with proven solid lead,
if you can get a harder slug ( usually slugs are hollowpoint and soft ) that is a solid flat base or round you can try it but for strictly skull penetration pellets are just fine.
The one thing NP66 didn't mention here, although I know he knows it... is shot location is also key to taking larger game. The smaller the caliber/fpe the more important that is. Location, location, location! Knowing where to place that precise shot is a must which makes studying animal anatomy essential.

I have long said that precision is more important than caliber or fpe. All I shoot is .177

All my best

Kerry

Last edited:
The one thing NP66 didn't mention here, although I know he knows it... is shot location is also key to taking larger game. The smaller the caliber/fpe the more important that is. Location, location, location! Knowing where to place that precise shot is a must which makes studying animal anatomy essential.

I have long said that precision is more important than caliber or fpe. All I shoot is .177

All my best

Kerry
Ho yeah, that is an all nother chapter to dive into.

Reactions: BackStop
While being able to accurately hit your target is important, having enough velocity and energy is equally important. The weapons you're refering to have ZERO margin for error and their power levels are inappropriate for large game animals.

A member here ( can't remember the name ) took down a huge boar with his Maverick .177 I think tuned in the 60 FPE range but not sure.

A precise brain shot with a .177 at that power is devastating,......we have been brainwashed by the gun industry ( and by the archery industry too ) that you need XXX power minimum to achieve your goals,

But if you do everything right these goals can be achieved with much less,.....key word is everything right.