Big Game Hunting with Airguns (Pictorial)*update

Last week I had the opportunity to visit a premier hunting ranch, one that's been on my bucket list for many years. With the help of Airguns Of Arizona I was able to make this trip possible and spend a solid three days on this beautiful mountainous ranch. This large ranch has an abundant species of exotic animals such as Sheep, Goats and several types of pigs including Russian boar up to 1000lbs. For this trip due to the danger I unfortunately had to leave my hunting partner Marley at home, tough but not worth the risk of her getting hurt. I left the house Monday afternoon with the Motorhome where I made way to pick up Tom Costan from American Air Arms who would be accompanying me for this adventure. We arrived to the hunting Ranch late that evening where we had a long, steep, rugged drive to the top of the mountain to a secluded cabin. This ranch was in fact enormous and far better terrain than I had imagined it to be. Tom and I arrived to the cabin where we were met by Robert Buchanan and Kip Perow who had arrived just a few hours prior.

Snapshot_30.1620062447.png

After spending some time around a beautiful campfire we got to sleep as we would be up by 6:30am to start our first full day of adventure. The following morning was a bit cold and overcast with a slight chance of showers throughout the day. This ranch was absolutely stunning with the large rolling hills and tall green grass with scattered yellow flowers, a true poster for Springtime.

Snapshot_29.1620062170.png

For this trip we had brought a few different brands of Airrifles with mine being the Daystate Safari in .30 caliber putting out roughly over 83fpe using the 43gr NSA slugs. This is a rifle that I have used extensively over the past year and have had a ton of experience shooting it. I have hunted lots of big game throughout my life but this would be my first time ever using an Airrifle on large game animals. Before this hunt I did lots of prior ammo testing with the Safari and decided that I wanted to go with a lighter weight for more penetration considering the FPE I was working with. All this is only my opinion and may not apply to every scenario, it's just what I felt was best for me. Before each hunt, especially when traveling I always like to check my zero and make sure the gun is performing correctly. After some time on the range all four of us set out on foot to this extremely vast property to scout and pursue what was moving about. Being both a hunter and a cameraman the guys asked if I would go first as so this would free me up to be able to film for the rest of the three days. We headed West along a steep narrow goat trail that followed a ridgeline overlooking most of the property, amazing views.

Snapshot_22.1620063480.png

We stopped on a few of the overlooks to glass the hillsides where we spotted a few goats as well as a large pig that was well over 500 yards away.

Snapshot_25.1620063431.png

This property was very rugged and it seemed most of the animals were in areas that were simply inaccessible with sheer drop offs and rocky cliffs. As we moved along this narrow trail I spotted many signs of pigs that had been digging for roots along with many tracks. This area looked like it was recently active with some enormous size animals, you could tell by the size of the tracks and the marks left where they had bed down. I had my eyes peeled for one to come sprinting out of the brush as we moved along....

Snapshot_21.1620064254.png

Moving further down this ridgeline I spotted a large Hawaiian Black Ram that caught my eye at just over 300 yards. I had initially planned to try for a good size pig but after seeing the Ram I decided to focus my hunt in that direction, it was almost calling me if that makes any sense. The Ram was out in a very thick area so my thought was to circle around above it on high ground and to try getting one of the other guys to flush it out. I didn't want to try taking it in the thick brush where I may encounter a bullet deflection and I was trying to keep my range within 50 yards as that felt to be a good effective range.

Snapshot_20.1620064576.png

I slowly circled around and got myself into a position on the side of this steep embankment where I hoped either Robert or Kip would be able to spook the Ram near my direction.

Snapshot_19.1620064798.png

After about 20 minutes of sitting on this hill I finally spotted a few of these sheep moving towards me finally stopping just near a large dead bush. I had both my big camera as well as the Tactacam running where I was able to capture the shot at just over 30 yards.

Snapshot_18.1620065139.png

The large Balck Ram was facing me so I placed the shot dead center of the chest making a perfect heart shot. After the shot he stood for about 5 seconds where I could see blood starting to come out his mouth, the two others moved away and he flopped over and rolled down the hill onto a trail.

Snapshot_17.1620065167.png

I know this only happened in a few seconds but in my mind it seemed as though it took forever as I kept replaying the whole thing in my head. For me this was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I felt so lucky to be able to experience it with and Airgun. This was a beautiful animal and had to weigh just under 200lbs, pretty good size animal for that 43gr NSA. The Safari performed beautifully and I felt good about my kill and the placement of my shot, I think the key was how close I was. Tom, Robert, Kip and I all sat for awhile and took a much needed break after a long morning of hiking.

Snapshot_16.1620065563.png

Being able to share this time with some good friend was well worth the trip all by itself and I truly felt blessed to have this experience as a whole. After taking a break we loaded up the Ram and headed back to the cabin for a late breakfast and to clean and process the meat.

Snapshot_15.1620066221.png

Snapshot_14.1620066235.png

After a fantastic breakfast that Kip made I headed over to get a closer look at the Ram and to try recovering the NSA slug.

Snapshot_13.1620066319.png

Getting inside we discovered the shot had in fact made way "perfectly" through the center of the heart and ricochet off the ribcage. 

Snapshot_12.1620066425.png

Put a dent in the slug but saw no real expansion that was a bit surprising.

Snapshot_11.1620066491.png

I think if I would have taken the shot from the side of the animal it would have no doubt passed through, a head on shot with maximum penetration and damage did the trick. For me this was a good experience to learn from to apply to future hunts. I've learned that with hunting we never have any guarantees and about all we can do is hope for the best and do our part.

IMG_20210422_133527.1620066948.jpg

P1050538.1620067042.JPG

I'm having a nice euro mount done that should be nice to hold the memory of this awesome hunting trip. By this time it was around 2:30pm and it was time for me to put the gun away and pick up the camera to accompany Tom on his hunt.

Snapshot_32.1620068168.png

Snapshot_10.1620068183.png

Tom as I took some time to check his zero and sight his .30 EVOL HPS in for 65 yards using the 54.5gr NSA slugs. This rifle puts out well over 110+fpe and gets I believe over 25 shots, I'm sure he will chime in and give some more details on this awesome build. This was Toms first time hunting large game with an Airrifle as well so I was excited to tag along as closely as possible to document his hunt through video. We set off on foot down the long rugged trail in search of a large heard of Angora Goats we had spotted earlier that morning. This was no doubt some of the most rugged terrain I had ever hiked and Toms decision to pursue these goats would prove to be no easy task.

Snapshot_38.1620068645.png

Snapshot_9.1620068440.png

We hiked down into this really steep canyon that ultimately lead us into some really thick brush, very hard to maneuver through as well as having very little visibility. We stopped for a bit where out of the corner of my eye I spotted several of these goats bed down against a cliff at just over 150 yards above us.

Snapshot_39.1620068856.png

I followed Tom back up the hill where we planned to move diagonally along this flat grassy area, hopefully within a good range.

Snapshot_41.1620069042.png

We managed to get within 100 yards before spotting one that was lower, hidden behind some thick brush.

Snapshot_8.1620069140.png

Tom slowly moved his way lower to where he could possibly get a better view of this large goat, was not easy considering how steep the terrain was.

Snapshot_40.1620069246.png

Finally the larger of the goats started moving diagonally up the side of the cliff and would frequently stop offering some opportunities for a shot.

Snapshot_35.1620069339.png

Tom took his first shot that went far to the left, I think it got deflected off a branch or something as the area had a ton of thick brush. The goat moved a bit higher up the side of this cliff, stopping on top of a shelf where Tom placed his shot directly through the chest at 75 yards.

Snapshot_37.1620069531.png

The goat stood for a few seconds before turning where Tom put another shot that went in just above the shoulder and completely passed through making a poof of dust just behind.

Snapshot_42.1620069692.png

The goat turned and took a few steps before collapsing down into a shelf, unfortunately one of the worst spots to recover it. These large goats are incredibly tough animals and this one was a true brute to take such a massive hit to the chest. Tom and I navigated our way closer only to realize we had a huge impassible crevice that required us to climb up and come down from the top.

Snapshot_33.1620070977.png

Snapshot_43.1620071045.png

Snapshot_44.1620071061.png

It took us about 15 minutes to hike up 75 yards, for a moment I thought I was going to lose Tom off the side of the cliff...very dangerous hiking. Once we got to the expired goat we figured we had two options, one was to drag down and the other was to get a rope and drag up. Ended up running a cable down and winching the goat up onto a trail about 50 yards above us. This goat definitely made Tom work hard, by far the most difficult area I've ever witnessed someone hunt. 

Snapshot_45.1620071425.png

Snapshot_1.1620071437.png

By this time it was getting into evening and we were all fairly exhausted from a long full day of hiking throughout these steep mountains. We had a great day and I was excited to get to head out again the following morning to film Kip and Robert. We had a great dinner followed by our usual fireside chat to give the full effect of the most amazing adventure.

Snapshot_27.1620071912.png

Snapshot_28.1620071924.png

This was a great first day that I tried to document the best I could through video, hope to share the conclusion of our adventure in the next week as it does take some time to edit these videos. Here are a few pictures to go with the part 2 video in the works!

Cheers

https://youtu.be/c-Nrn2hx0Ik

Here is part two that includes Russian Boar hunt and Goat taken at 160 yards. 

https://youtu.be/eLTI4_ygKEE

IMG_20210421_154151.1620072122.jpg

IMG_20210422_105700.1620072136.jpg

P1050623.1620072177.JPG

@crosman999 Dana, I agree with @l.Leon you are one of my favorite YouTubers to watch, the other is Alex of Air Rifle Activities.

One of the things I love about your videos is when you hunt you are actually hunting. Also, you aren’t a “one brand” man for the guns in your videos. Your reviews are honest, and true, IMHO.

Thank you sir, appreciate the compliment. It's fun to get out and enjoy using a variety of Airguns, I've learned so much in just the past year doing so. Looking forward to the next few months of adventures. 

@crosman999 I enjoyed the write up. It’s a pleasure to read how you frame your adventures with words. Good pics too. I look forward to watching the videos this weekend. Thanks for sharing. 

5/8/21 Wow! 160+ yards with the Bushbuck? Nice shooting. Great definition and video quality. Your editing is nice. It was kinda strange to hear the intro music and not see Marley. I definitely understand why you left her at home. My favorite part was the Russian boar hunt. The music you selected added to the tension. I was shocked to see them bolt out in front of you all so close when they entered the camera frame from the left. Keep up the good work Dana and thanks for sharing your adventure.

@crosman999 I enjoyed the write up. It’s a pleasure to read how you frame your adventures with words. Good pics too. I look forward to watching the videos this weekend. Thanks for sharing. 

5/8/21 Wow! 160+ yards with the Bushbuck? Nice shooting. Great definition and video quality. Your editing is nice. It was kinda strange to hear the intro music and not see Marley. I definitely understand why you left her at home. My favorite part was the Russian boar hunt. The music you selected added to the tension. I was shocked to see them bolt out in front of you all so close when they entered the camera frame from the left. Keep up the good work Dana and thanks for sharing your adventure.

Thanks, yeah I definitely had a rough time without Marley. She goes everywhere with me and feel strange not having her by my side, especially when hunting. Hunting with Kip was an honor, that pig hunt was really exciting to film. The whole trip was great experience for me as not only a hunter, but as a filmmaker. Hope to share more trips soon as I have a few planned.

Thanks for sharing another adventure again! Makes a excellent start to the day and morning coffee. Hopefully Marley won’t find out about the adventure! Definitely missed seeing her running around making the dust clouds lol. Looking forward to the next one.

Thanks for checking it out, she got to go on another adventure shortly after for a few days. We've been busy with all kinds of hunts past few weeks, more videos soon.