Big Game Hunting with Airguns in California (Podcast)

Deer hunting with airguns will be a great opportunity here in San Luis Obispo County since down here the Los Padres National Forest runs through the middle of the county. With high mountain peaks and lots of forest vegetation, there isn't a problem in finding them. They are also very large. I hit a large one with my car last month, totaling it, and I sure wish it was of the Shih Tzu to Golden Retriever size.

The forest here along with 56/58 counties in California also have a problem that has seemingly been forgotten: wild boar. The wild pigs here in CA, like most states in America, absolutely devistate the natural ecological balance. Mitigating an invasive species like the wild pigs here is not only a joy but a responsibility of hunters. When airguns are legalized here in CA they will become yet another tool in the hunter's arsenal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deer hunting with airguns will be a great opportunity here in San Luis Obispo County since down here the Los Padres National Forest runs through the middle of the county. With high mountain peaks and lots of forest vegetation, there isn't a problem in finding them. They are also very large. I hit a large one with my car last month, totaling it, and I sure wish it was of the Shih Tzu to Golden Retriever size.

The forest here along with 56/58 counties in California also have a problem that has seemingly been forgotten: wild boar. The wild pigs here in CA, like most states in America, absolutely devistate the natural ecological balance. Mitigating an invasive species like the wild pigs here is not only a joy but a responsibility of hunters. When airguns are legalized here in CA they will become yet another tool in the hunter's arsenal.
I'm fixing to move out of Hawaii in the next future and that area of California is one of the options, would love if Airgun hunting for big game is established by then ;)

Reactions: Deleted 45061
Just my 2 cents (so worth nothing).

I also have not listened to the podcast yet.

If you want to set air rifle requirements for ethically killing large animals then this is the organization you want talking to game and wildlife personel and politicians . They know how to talk both technical standards and political speak.

They are obviously financed by the big names in the industry (air rifle importers), and are driven by expanding sales. Yet, they have helped many states set correct requirements around caliber, fps, and fpe for different size animals.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Deleted 45061
CA is the most stringent of all things, from construction codes to the EPA. I feel if attention to hunting with Airguns was made more aware to the law makers, it’ll be a big regret we will have and there’ll be no way to turn it over. It’ll get worse in time. Why would we even need to hunt anymore game than already allowed with an air rifle? Use your centerfire powder burners! If the lead laws spread over to pellets then what are we gonna do then?!

Remember, you can’t put toothpaste back in the tube.
totally agree less attention the better use powder burner for big game.

Reactions: Wr250r
I’d sure like to know the motivation here.., is it so one can have bragging rights in downing a black bear with an airforce? One can afford a top tier air rifle but to cheap to buy real Ammo? Or is it because one lost their rights(or got it taken away for something stupid/and or sickening that they did) to bear firearms and this is a way for you to go big game hunting?

Even the laws in place now for standard hunts have gotten more stringent, and we desire to add Airguns to the mix?!!

I vote H3LL NO
You know I take offense to your comments about people who have lost their firearm rights. I have a spinal cord injury with degenerative bone disease on top of it and was on pain meds for some time chose to live with the pain and not be on those damn pills but some a$&hole federal agent decided a lifelong chronic pain diagnosis should disqualify me from owning guns even though I only take ibuprofen I tried fighting it but anyone who has medical access to pain meds if needed loses their rights. During my losing fight for my rights I met a gentleman who’s wife and daughter were killed in a car accident 5 years ago he pretty much could not function for a while his doc had him on Valium for a few months when all that’s was happening he said he was denied for history of medication for mental illness so mess d up man. You need to realize in todays America especially in California they keep anyone for any reason from getting firearms. So yes it would be great for me to be able to hunt pig or deer with one of my air rifles. All I’m saying is don’t judge people who have lost gun rights when at least half of those who have did nothing to lose them.