Big Game Hunting with Airguns in California (Podcast)

D

Deleted 45061

ASAANDMITCH.jpg

Hello Airgun Nation,

Mitch King from the Airgun Sporting Association and hunter, entrepreneur, and professional triathlete Max Fennell and I had a conversation this last week about where things stand in California.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I think it’s is a interesting idea but might bring unwanted attention to power of airguns which is not really regulated at the moment besides can’t hunt big games here in CA. For majority of the air-gunners here in CA it might be best to leave good enough alone, big game hunters I know all willing to drive across the country to hunt with center fires so not sure this attention brought to the regulators is worth possible regulations for rest of us. I got 6.5 & 308 for bigger stuff if I want but I’m too lazy. Please let our toys be toys……for as long as we can.

I am right with qball. We as air gunners are pretty much left alone. If you ask to hunt big game, lead will be gone for big game hunting and possibly all of us. I do understand and have other friends that have talked about contacting CA Fish and Wildlife and myself and others have talked them out of it. My take is, Fish and Wildlife, consider an airgun as .177 and possibly.22 caliber. I do not believe they even thought of .25 and above when saying lead is ok in Airguns. Lead will probably be taken from our small game and rodent hunting soon enough. Asking to hunt with large caliber Airguns will create a new section in the regulations and I am sure we would see lead being removed as a legal way to shoot/harvest anything. These are just my thoughts and I may be wrong, but I really prefer that it is not tested.

CA is the most stringent of all things, from construction codes to the EPA. I feel if attention to hunting with Airguns was made more aware to the law makers, it’ll be a big regret we will have and there’ll be no way to turn it over. It’ll get worse in time. Why would we even need to hunt anymore game than already allowed with an air rifle? Use your centerfire powder burners! If the lead laws spread over to pellets then what are we gonna do then?!

Remember, you can’t put toothpaste back in the tube.

I’d sure like to know the motivation here.., is it so one can have bragging rights in downing a black bear with an airforce? One can afford a top tier air rifle but to cheap to buy real Ammo? Or is it because one lost their rights(or got it taken away for something stupid/and or sickening that they did) to bear firearms and this is a way for you to go big game hunting?

Even the laws in place now for standard hunts have gotten more stringent, and we desire to add Airguns to the mix?!!

I vote H3LL NO

I’d sure like to know the motivation here.., is it so one can have bragging rights in downing a black bear with an airforce? One can afford a top tier air rifle but to cheap to buy real Ammo? Or is it because one lost their rights(or got it taken away for something stupid/and or sickening that they did) to bear firearms and this is a way for you to go big game hunting?

Even the laws in place now for standard hunts have gotten more stringent, and we desire to add Airguns to the mix?!!

I vote H3LL NO
Thank you Augie for the input. Much appreciated as always.

CA is the most stringent of all things, from construction codes to the EPA. I feel if attention to hunting with Airguns was made more aware to the law makers, it’ll be a big regret we will have and there’ll be no way to turn it over. It’ll get worse in time. Why would we even need to hunt anymore game than already allowed with an air rifle? Use your centerfire powder burners! If the lead laws spread over to pellets then what are we gonna do then?!

Remember, you can’t put toothpaste back in the tube.
+1 Be very careful what you ask for, you might just get it and be sorry

Things like this, interviews with journalist from youtube shooting personalities, and things like the AEA SW45 (CHEAP SEMI AUTO IN THE HANDS OF CRIMINALS) are all terrible for us as airgunners, why can't people be happy where it is at? I don't see too many people complaining about not being able to hunt big game with their air? Most LEGAL big game hunters who own air rifles are ok with hunting with their powder guns. The call for unwanted attention is IMO because of huge lack of foresight but a big want to say I CAN RIGHT NOW.

Reactions: qball
Things like this, interviews with journalist from youtube shooting personalities, :
Seriously fail to see the problem with this. I have learned SO much from listening from these folks, except for that Airgun Supremacy dude, he sounds a little (a lot) sketchy!
and things like the AEA SW45 (CHEAP SEMI AUTO IN THE HANDS OF CRIMINALS) are all terrible for us as airgunners, why can't people be happy where it is at?:
Personally HATE semi auto Airguns, but then again…..who I’m I? That’s just my opinion. To each their own.
I don't see too many people complaining about not being able to hunt big game with their air?:
Plenty of folks I talk to want to hunt big game with Airguns.
Most LEGAL big game hunters who own air rifles are ok with hunting with their powder guns.
This would be a good time a poll?
The call for unwanted attention is IMO because of huge lack of foresight but a big want to say I CAN RIGHT NOW.:
Hum OK, Why can’t people just be happy with…. Horse drawn buggy? Model T? Candles? Carbon Steel (love the stuff btw) Balloons? Dirigibles? Sesnas? Matches? Lighters (the horror) Standard Mechanical Typewriters?

Basically, it’s human nature to keep pushing forward. I understand your plea, but…..

Like the DEC here in NYS, most if not all game managing agencies in the USA treat "Airguns as firearms" when used for hunting. Meaning all the rules applicable to the discharging of a firearm while hunting apply. That some want to hunt big game? I believe it's a non issue legislatively, the sky isn't falling. There are already regulations in place across the USA we can't just use/shoot our Airguns anywhere we choose. Yes, we have more leeway as compared to firearms. But Airguns are already regulated by laws. No need to question the motives, or cast aspersions on those who want to hunt big game with Airguns. So to those who want to, and can hunt big game with Airguns? Have at it...🐘🐑🐅🐆🐿

Reactions: bamavet55
Califtrornia is a different animal altogether, and when it comes to "more leeway as compared to firearms" nothing can be taken for granted there. I bring plastic straws in my glovebox when I go to my boat, because suddenly plastic straws killed sea turtles and cardboard straws are the way to go. I honesty agree about flying under the radar. The UK has sub 12ft lbs airguns that are not registered, but you need a firearms license above that. They are facing a lead ban on the horizon. Ca guns must be "approved", ammunition has a tax, and the hunting lead ban. As a fisherman I'm wondering when I have to start using non-lead sinkers.

Don't underestimate the power of reactive legislation, especially when guns or the environment and California are involved.

I agree keep California out of the airgun game and let my toys be toys. Got powder for big game or a car to head to Texas or Florida if I want to hunt big with my air. Thanks but no thanks. The only hunting ammo allowed to be lead in California is from an airgun. Just this simple change in law would screw us on access and availability of pellets and airgun slugs.

Like the DEC here in NYS, most if not all game managing agencies in the USA treat "Airguns as firearms" when used for hunting. Meaning all the rules applicable to the discharging of a firearm while hunting apply. That some want to hunt big game? I believe it's a non issue legislatively, the sky isn't falling. There are already regulations in place across the USA we can't just use/shoot our Airguns anywhere we choose. Yes, we have more leeway as compared to firearms. But Airguns are already regulated by laws. No need to question the motives, or cast aspersions on those who want to hunt big game with Airguns. So to those who want to, and can hunt big game with Airguns? Have at it...🐘🐑🐅🐆🐿
Thank you for your input L.Leon.

I agree keep California out of the airgun game and let my toys be toys. Got powder for big game or a car to head to Texas or Florida if I want to hunt big with my air. Thanks but no thanks. The only hunting ammo allowed to be lead in California is from an airgun. Just this simple change in law would screw us on access and availability of pellets and airgun slugs.
Thank you for your input.

Seriously fail to see the problem with this. I have learned SO much from listening from these folks, except for that Airgun Supremacy dude, he sounds a little (a lot) sketchy!

Personally HATE semi auto Airguns, but then again…..who I’m I? That’s just my opinion. To each their own.

Plenty of folks I talk to want to hunt big game with Airguns.

This would be a good time a poll?

Hum OK, Why can’t people just be happy with…. Horse drawn buggy? Model T? Candles? Carbon Steel (love the stuff btw) Balloons? Dirigibles? Sesnas? Matches? Lighters (the horror) Standard Mechanical Typewriters?

Basically, it’s human nature to keep pushing forward. I understand your plea, but…..
Thanks guy for your input as well. It is always appreciated.

CA is already F'd up. Please..don't pour gasoline on a burning pile of S#!t.

This proposal will do nothing other that stir the pot between folks that hunt. Does anyone remember the battles between Firearm VS Muzzle Loaders or Compound VS Recurve VS CrossBow? Sheesh. Do this and the Antis won't have to destroy us, they'll just sit back with a beer and watch us self-destruct.

If Airguns are allowed to hunt Big Game, what season do they encroach on? Firearm? Archery? Or does DFG or (F&W?) create an additional season that encroaches and takes time from both? That's a recipe for making friends..LOL!

Be happy with small game and turkeys.

So according to @lbc_PSI, and @qball, just stick to "small game and turkey"...🤔? So those who want to hunt "big game" in Kalifornia with Airguns? You've got two opponents right there. Hunting is hunting, only difference is the tools used and the individuals hunting. The sky isn't falling. All hunters have the right to hunt with tools legal to do so. The only people "infighting" are those opposed to their fellow hunters rights to hunt because it might, !gasp! affect them? Just help fight for the right of all those who want to hunt.

Last edited:
Reactions: AncientSword
Lead ammunition is banned in CA. No lead in powder burners. No lead shot for shotguns. How exactly would airguns be used if lead cannot be used? The “no lead” rule was instituted to preserve the CA condor. Which environmentalists claimed were in decline because condors consumed lead bullets in deer carcasses. Do you really believe Antis and environmentalists will allow anything shooting lead to be used for large game? We’re lucky to be able to use airguns at all. Don’t put a target on our backs in a likely futile attempt to hunt big game.