• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Big Boy compressor versus Omega turbocharger

I think the car analogy is a fair one, when considering the purchase of a high pressure compressor. Whether one buys an economy car, a mid-range model, a pickup truck, or a sports car is a personal choice. The one thing we all want is a compressor that runs with low maintenance costs.

When I bought my Coltri MCH-6 I could not get any response from the Alkin or Alpha-Carette dealers; and had no interest in the chinese compressors. That left the Coltri MCH-6 and the Bauer Jr to choose from. What sealed the deal for me was the fact that Nuvair was willing to discuss their compressor lines extensively with me, over the phone. In the end I chose the pickup truck as the compressor best for me.

Well said. I can only imagine that you bought your compressor some time back. When I was shopping, Alkin was very responsive answering my questions and sending me manuals before hand. I'm delighted with it and delighted every time I use it. Although there are fewer Alkins in use by airgunners than say YH or even Coltri, there are enough that the complete absence of complaints sold me. A compressor that is cheap, but goes down and requires a rebuild every couple years didn't appeal to me (because I know how Murphy times those down times, at least for me...). I drive Toyotas and own an Alkin for the same reasons - long life and high reliability. 

GsT

You posted elsewhere that you view the Alkin as the "best bang for the buck" as far as compressors go. That's certainly a valid opinion and one held by many. I bet the Alkin will turn out to be a fine investment for most who acquire one. But since it is one of the highest priced "air gun" compressors available, "best bang for the buck" sure seems debatable. JMO.

Somewhat off topic, would the collective go for a used (1980s) Bauer or a new Hill EC-3000?

planning my entry into the sport, expect to be able to pull a friend or two along, so kinda planning ahead for added use.

thanks

S

Depends on how "used" the Bauer is. I know you stated 1980's but it would be good to know how many hours it has on it and/if it has been rebuilt a number of times. Additionally, the Hill is really only good for filling guns or very small bottles. If you are filling large tanks, the Hill will not be an option.

Keith. Just need an Ok for the Bauer. About 430 hours used in a fire department, so I presume regular service and includes a new moisture filter. 

thanks,

S

No one can just give you an OK. Are they good compressors....YES. But no one here knows anything about THAT one. I was just trying to give a little advice and perspective. It's your money. Do whatever you want. OUT!

Seems it would depend on cost for the Bauer as well as use/history/condition. Hard to know fully with ANYTHING used. A great price on a nice clean older Bauer that comes with a maintenance book that one trusts might well be worth it. Hopefully someone with direct Bauer experience might chime in but for something that old, might be hard to find good hands on information. I would put extra value on "fire department" because poor maintenance might cause them personal injury and I would also think 430 hours wouldn't be "high" for that quality compressor. No personal experience though so probably all useless opinion. 

You posted elsewhere that you view the Alkin as the "best bang for the buck" as far as compressors go. That's certainly a valid opinion and one held by many. I bet the Alkin will turn out to be a fine investment for most who acquire one. But since it is one of the highest priced "air gun" compressors available, "best bang for the buck" sure seems debatable. JMO.

Yep, it's just my opinion as well - I have no crystal ball and no specific knowledge of anyone else's circumstances. Everything is debatable, and there's always supposition involved, but I backed that up with some figures elsewhere vis-a-vis cost-per-fill in the first 1000 hours (a long, long time for AG filling). An even better metric is ft^3 of air compressed to Xpsi. In either case I think the Alkin is cheaper than the YH or any of the less expensive compressors, BUT if you only ever get 50 hours on a compressor, it may never matter. The supposition is that you'll use it a lot, and for years.

If you lose interest in airguns after a year or two, it's probably not worth it. Although "high-end" compressors maintain their value, you'd probably still lose more than the cost of a Yong Heng. Everyone has their own philosophy, but after ~10 years of PCP guns I was comfortably sure that I'm not losing interest.

GsT

Yep, it's just my opinion as well - I have no crystal ball and no specific knowledge of anyone else's circumstances. Everything is debatable, and there's always supposition involved, but I backed that up with some figures elsewhere vis-a-vis cost-per-fill in the first 1000 hours (a long, long time for AG filling). An even better metric is ft^3 of air compressed to Xpsi. In either case I think the Alkin is cheaper than the YH or any of the less expensive compressors, BUT if you only ever get 50 hours on a compressor, it may never matter. The supposition is that you'll use it a lot, and for years.

If you lose interest in airguns after a year or two, it's probably not worth it. Although "high-end" compressors maintain their value, you'd probably still lose more than the cost of a Yong Heng. Everyone has their own philosophy, but after ~10 years of PCP guns I was comfortably sure that I'm not losing interest.

GsT

And I'd also suggest it might depend on WHERE one is located. A dive compressor might be easier to "move", if needs change, for one nearer the coasts. Otherwise, when later selling that perfectly functional and valuable compressor (Alkin or Coltri or whatever) one has not only the depreciation (debateable as to whether that would exceed the cost of the Yong Heng but I certainly bet it would, JMO), one would also have the crating and shipping of the compressor unless a local buyer was present. All relative.

I for one wont touch an Alkin with another mans "Tool" at the end of a ten foot pole!

May not matter a lot to you Yanks but Turkey is European "crazy outskirts" and they have some 5-10MT of your a-bombs just up for the grabs and you can do diddly to deter it!

https://theconversation.com/why-the-us-has-nuclear-weapons-in-turkey-and-may-try-to-put-the-bombs-away-125477

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-nuclear-bombs-in-turkey-tricky-to-remove-2019-10?r=US&IR=T

I wont support that maniac and his bass ackwards regime with as much as a penney!

I'll buy Italian Coltri!

I for one wont touch an Alkin with another mans "Tool" at the end of a ten foot pole!

May not matter a lot to you Yanks but Turkey is European "crazy outskirts" and they have some 5-10MT of your a-bombs just up for the grabs and you can do diddly to deter it!

https://theconversation.com/why-the-us-has-nuclear-weapons-in-turkey-and-may-try-to-put-the-bombs-away-125477

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-nuclear-bombs-in-turkey-tricky-to-remove-2019-10?r=US&IR=T

I wont support that maniac and his bass ackwards regime with as much as a penney!

I'll buy Italian Coltri!

Seems to have little to do with the price of tea in China. Or to the quality of the Alkin. But, opinions are free.

Yeah I guess it limits you very much too what are gun you buy if you won't buy anything from Turkey I believe half the guns on the market are made in Turkey

I'll buy Italian Coltri!

Seems to have little to do with the price of tea in China. Or to the quality of the Alkin. But, opinions are free.

I guess that limits you very much to what you buy half of the air guns made these days it seems our coming out of Turkey

Yeah I guess it limits you very much too what are gun you buy if you won't buy anything from Turkey I believe half the guns on the market are made in Turkey

I'll buy Italian Coltri!

I guess that limits you very much to what you buy half of the air guns made these days it seems our coming out of Turkey

Yeah pretty much so!

Thats why i buy Airforce, Coltri and FX.

Does that make me a bad guy for not supporting Turkey?

Today, Alkin called and left a voice mail. I was at work and couldn't take the call. They said " we are just wanting to be sure your Alkin compressor is working well for you. Let us know if you need hoses, filters or oil. That was a surprise. In my 60 years no manufacture has ever called out of the blue to ask how a product was working out for me.

Sparky 

Today, Alkin called and left a voice mail. I was at work and couldn't take the call. They said " we are just wanting to be sure your Alkin compressor is working well for you. Let us know if you need hoses, filters or oil. That was a surprise. In my 60 years no manufacture has ever called out of the blue to ask how a product was working out for me.

Sparky

I ordered mine today and it ships out tomorrow. I can't wait. They were very easy to converse with on the phone and answered all of my "crazy" questions. Your right in saying not too many manufacturers take the time to do that.

Sparky

I ordered mine today and it ships out tomorrow. I can't wait. They were very easy to converse with on the phone and answered all of my "crazy" questions. Your right in saying not too many manufacturers take the time to do that.

I got the same call myself yesterday. Congrats on your soon-to-be compressor Keith - I'm sure you'll be very pleased.

GsT

The Alkin guys are extremely helpful and I asked a lot of questions. They bent over backwards changing out my config to mimic some I had seen on this site and were nice enough to “comp” some fittings in order to cover all of my filling bases so to speak. They even FaceTimed with me to see what I was asking and gave me input for a great operating experience. I can’t express the professionalism they exhibit or their desire to have a great buying experience.

These compressors are built extremely well and for me will take care of any air need I may need, my children and grandchildren on down the line! For me, the peace of mind of having this compressor is priceless.