• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Big Boy compressor versus Omega turbocharger

I have been stressing for weeks trying to decide which compressor to go with I am looking at the Alcan Mariner 31 as well as the smaller daystate, which I was pretty much set on. After calling airguns of Arizona yesterday I was talked into the Omega by the very knowledgeable guy on the phone. He said I'm making a mistake. He said I will be much happier with the Omega with its reliability, its features and with its performance. I still don't believe I made the right decision. What are everyone's thoughts. It's not too late to change this order. Currently I have six PCP rifles, a 100 cubic foot carbon fiber tank as well as a 100 cubic inch carbon fiber tank I thought I would get two or three 450 cubic foot oxygen bottles and do a Cascade system so I was never out of air I don't know if the Omega is going to do this nor whether I need all that. I know it has great reviews it is backed up by airguns of Arizona it has full customer support, parts and technical help but it still made in China

I don't have a omega but heard good things about them, you should be fine with either.

Now, I don't really see how a product made in china can be seen a con, or a reason to stay away in airgun world. Compressors (the famous Yonghengm probably the most popular compressor out there) , chronographs (chrony under 20 bucks work just as well as a fx chrony, I know because I own them), and even barrels (avenger coming out of box shooting 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards, again, own gun) made in China have all been impressive and broke the "made in china" = bad product thinking for many folks. I'm just for all things making airgunning more accessible, cheaper to everyday normal people who don't receive stuffs for free.

I can say..spend once is the best way..

I tried f10 compressior first ..no way with that unit..slow..just slow and much noise..then a year of nitrogen. worked great affordable quick...but not mobil enough for me..this unit..is a much better way for me $2500
DSC_0192.1619010423.JPG

My approach and delay in shooting PCPs was to making a choice for air. In the year that I have been shooting PCPs and following this airgun site, I have seen little discussion about problems with Big Boy vs. Everything else. I find it curious that a salesperson would recommend one over the other, maybe they were referring to Omega vs. Daystate? It doesn’t matter. Look at the number of posts of Big Boy vs Everything Else and I think you will have your answer.

My decisions as I progressed in the sport and my guns needed more air; Hand pump, Sparky 12 volt, Big Boy. I may own not many rifles, but I can dang well shoot the ones I have because I have reliable, dry air to use whenever I need it. Air is the foundation in which to build, many others take a reverse approach based on the questions on this site. I own a Alkin 31 Vertical; Big Boy; No Regrets.

Figuring out air when shooting PCPs is the #1 item of this sport to consider. A powder burner is no good without powder and a PCP is no good without a reliable air source. In the year that I have been shooting PCPs and following this airgun site, I have seen little discussion about problems with Big Boy vs. Everything else. I find it curious that a salesperson would recommend one over the other, maybe they were referring to Omega vs. Daystate? It doesn’t matter. Look at the number of posts of Big Boy vs Everything Else and I think you will have your answer.

My decisions as I progressed in the sport and my guns needed more air; Hand pump, Sparky 12 volt, Big Boy. I may own not many rifles, but I can dang well shoot the ones I have because I have reliable, dry air to use whenever I need it. Air is the foundation in which to build, many others take a reverse approach based on the questions on this site. I own a Alkin 31 Vertical; Big Boy; No Regrets.

Certainly a valid opinion. And probably much harder to "go wrong" with any of the "big boys". The question seems to be-for a SPECIFIC shooter (and how he described his needs AND possibly budget to the rep spoken to), does this opinion apply to the OP. Maybe, maybe not. I have a Yong Heng that is over 2 years old. Still works, and I try to use it at least monthly. I also have a unit like tibor pictured above. I consider THAT to be a "big boy" and love the speed and perceived reliability. Would the Alkin have any actual and OBSERVABLE advantage over the MCH6 family? Possibly in a very high use situation such as gun club, small shop use, or similar but also possibly not. And the Omega, which possibly the rep viewed as "plenty of compressor" for the OP's needs, seems to be at least $1000 less than the Alkin. Like almost everything, few "absolutes" and lots of "relatives". Maybe I just like typing "relative" too much.

MARINER 31 is what I intend to get. It is designed as an industrial dive and breathable tanks compressor for use by individuals. If you get to a point where you don't need compressed air it will be easy to sell. A guy could fill bottles for anything except breathable air and make a few bucks. Parts and service are available especially since the older gentleman stepped down. It's designed to be extremely durable. So there is my opinion and my $.02

Wow. My intuition tells me if they have Omegas in stock but not Daystates, that's the direction they steer you toward. If I had a choice between an LC-110 or an Omega it's like choosing a Learjet over a Piper Cub. IMHO, in over 20 years of working with compressors, that the Omega is THE most overpriced compressor there is. It is redundant how many times I've posted this, but anyone who knows the internal components of a compressor could tell you that the Omega is a motorized handpump in a box with nice bells and whistles. It's lifespan is about 200 hours before a major overhaul is needed to replace the rubber o-ring seals. 200 hours on an Omega is about 20% of the fills you'd get with 200 hours on a big boy compressor. Save your money and buy either an MCH-6 Coltri or spend a little more and get an Alkin W31. Everybody loves their Omega when they first get it. Several years down the road it is an expensive boat anchor. A dive compressor like the MCH-6 or Alkin will still be like new and have an excellent resale value. Omega buyers are buying "cute" over "durable". If my only 2 choices on earth were LC-110 vs. Omega it's a slam dunk for the LC-110. I owned an LC-110. It's a good compressor for the money. But I'd spend more to get its big brother, the MCH-6 instead.

If you buy the Omega you'll love it this year. If it lasts 5 years you're lucky You'll be shopping for another compressor wishing you had bought a more durable unit to begin with. Buy once, cry once.

Sent you a PM. Everything Humdinger said...

GsT

Not sure about WHOM you sent a PM to but I assume you sent the PM to OP. I did ask you a question about the Mad-Dog Condor stock elsewhere, though.

As to the compressors, I agree with all above and have a "big boy" for a reason. I still say things are much more often relative than absolute. But all good info for the OP.

Thanks all for reaffirming my gut feelings. The salesman AOA actually told me going from the Omega to the day state was going backwards I just could not process that information just looking at the two everything screams the opposite. I believe the daystate will do just fine, the MCH 6 probably a hair better the Alcan would be beyond my expectations and their shop is 1 hour from my home which equals easy Parts, maintenance, and no shipping

Wow. My intuition tells me if they have Omegas in stock but not Daystates, that's the direction the steer you toward. If I had a choice between an LC-110 or an Omega it's like choosing a Learjet over a Piper Cub. IMHO, in over 20 years of working with compressors, that the Omega is THE most overpriced compressor there is. It is redundant how many times I've posted this, but anyone who knows the internal components of a compressor could tell you that the Omega is a motorized handpump in a box with nice bells and whistles. It's lifespan is about 200 hours before a major overhaul is needed to replace the rubber o-ring seals. 

If you buy the Omega you'll love it this year. If it lasts 5 years you're lucky You'll be shopping for another compressor wishing you had bought a more durable unit to begin with. Buy once, cry once.

Could you please point me to some posts from some unhappy Omega owners? Or some who describe their ordeal with rebuilding it after 200 hours? Or maybe to some listings in the classifieds from people wanting to dump their Omega to move up?

I did see that “ODoyle” was unhappy but could never find his explanation of what the problem was. Maybe my google-fu is weak, so if you could point me to all of the unhappy Omega owners experiences, I’d appreciate it.

Wow. My intuition tells me if they have Omegas in stock but not Daystates, that's the direction the steer you toward. If I had a choice between an LC-110 or an Omega it's like choosing a Learjet over a Piper Cub. IMHO, in over 20 years of working with compressors, that the Omega is THE most overpriced compressor there is. It is redundant how many times I've posted this, but anyone who knows the internal components of a compressor could tell you that the Omega is a motorized handpump in a box with nice bells and whistles. It's lifespan is about 200 hours before a major overhaul is needed to replace the rubber o-ring seals. 

Could you please point me to some posts from some unhappy Omega owners? Or some who describe their ordeal with rebuilding it after 200 hours? Or maybe to some listings in the classifieds from people wanting to dump their Omega to move up?

I did see that “ODoyle” was unhappy but could never find his explanation of what the problem was. Maybe my google-fu is weak, so if you could point me to all of the unhappy Omega owners experiences, I’d appreciate it.

That's what the seach function on this forum is for. If you already own an Omega, best of luck to you. I would suggest you review the Youtube rebuild video of the Omega compressor done by Airguns of Arizona. If you study the internal design of a dive compressor vs. an Omega, you'll understand why a dive compressor is much more durable and long lived than the Omega. 

I have an omega Supercharger and an omega. Air charger. The supercharger is 6 years old and it went out on me last spring so I bought a new air charger and sent it in for repair. The rebuild was pretty cheap...maybe 100 and done by Todd in AZ. It had about 270 hours on it.

The air charger is less than a year old and has their new pump on it. It is 3x the speed of the older supercharger. It tops off a 75 cuft bottle in 1/2 hour from about 2600-4500.

If I was doing it again, I would have never bothered with the supercharger. I don’t need the auto drain and nicer cover. The air charger is perfectly adequate for my use at 2/3 cost...and with the new pump it’s 3x the speed. When it went out, I would have bought another while it was being serviced. The new air chargers are pretty fast. I’m never in a situation where I need air immediately, so waiting an extra 15 minutes is not an issue.

Mike