Big Bore

I saw this in the forums.It may help you. If you click the link(In red) it will take you to Zebras answer..

Last edited:
What is considered big bore? Is .30 big bore .35?
"Big" Bore can be a subjective term. >.25, >.30, >.35, >.40... or whatever.

The bigger calibers are just one aspect. Sometimes the category includes energy level which for airguns is determined by bore-volume x pressure. So it typically indicates a large enough bore diameter, and long enough bore length, combined with typically higher bore pressures, in order to give high FPE levels. For indicating a "big bore" airgun beyond the subjective, some of the minimums used in different forums/matches are 140fpe+, 150fpe+, or 200fpe+.

higher-caliber x longer-bore x higher-pressure = bigger-FPE (140fpe+, 150fpe+, 200fpe+)

So in answer to your question, either .30 or .35 could be a considered a proper big bore, but as is often the case, only if the airgun in question also met some other qualifications.

Last edited:
anything over .25 is big bore if they produce more than 100fpe IMO...... 👨‍🌾
i have never heard of medium bore in airguns ??
Yes. >.25 is the general consensus. Though not so much for the 100fpe minimum.

From over 10 tears ago:

"...The big deal of the day
As Rosanne Roseannadanna said, “It’s always something!” This year, it was our most fundamental rule. What is a big bore airgun, you ask? Well, there are four smallbore calibers — .177, .20, .22 and .25. Anything larger than .25 caliber is considered a big bore. But this year, someone showed up with a .257 rifle made by Jack Haley that launches 75-grain bullets at 1,100 f.p.s. They develop over 200 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle...."

Last edited:
Like to offer a couple of possible definitions, just my opinions at the end of the day

1. Any caliber that is larger than what was in general usage before PCP's became common use airguns. Basically by this definition anything larger than 25 cal.

2. Any airgun capable of equaling or exceeding the power of a 22LR rimfire (100-125 ft-lb) using a standard weight pellet or slug for that caliber.

Make sense?

Reactions: TWBUILD
Now I don't want to step on anyone's toes.Many of who are more knowledgeable than myself...but zebras post was from 2016( the link I added in a prior post).

Seems to me things have changed a bit ..I mean the AEA challenger standard edition alone puts out up to 70fpe in .22! Up to 175fpe in .35 cal..stock.
FX and higher tier seem to be in the same ballpark..
Granted I'm relatively new but I would say if it can easily kill a deer or hog ,then it's a big bore..

My vote is for .35 and up into the 50's.
As for "Extreme" big bore 72 and beyond (in my opinion), well it seems a little too Extreme for me...Maybe if I was Captain Ahab or Bungalow Bill..
But to each their own I say.
Just my 2 cents ( probably worth less mind you).

Last edited:
Lol, Thats the first time I have ever heard 30 and 35 cal are mid bores also.
I do not agree with Jim Chapman on everything, but.......several years back when I was thinking " .30 and .357 in my opinion are not big bores,... ( in airguns obviously since in firearms their are sure considered such ) "
at the same time I heard Jim referring at them as Mid Bores and to me it just made sense and fit the bill perfectly, so in line with what I was thinking I then had a term to go with it and been calling them Mid Bores since.

Hey but everyone can call them whatever they prefer, not out to tell people what to do,...Ido my own thing 😄