big bore suggestions?

It depends if your state has minimum energy requirements for hunting deer. Some do and some don't allow deer hunting with air guns at all. It also depends on your budget as there is a fairly broad range.

There are two levels or categories of big bore too. You have the relatively low powered mainstream .30 to 50 caliber guns that put out 80fpe to 400fpe. Then you have the extreme big bores which typically shoot cast bullets from .257 up to 72 caliber and up to 1700fpe (using helium)

The mainstream ones are a little easier to live with as many are repeaters, have decent shot counts (for a big bore) and accuracy. At the higher price range, you have guns like the RAW 9mm and the FX Boss 30 cal which are both fairly refined for big bore air guns although they are not particularly powerful (80-100fpe). at the lower price range, you have the Sam Yang single shot big bores like the light hunter, also, the Benjamin bulldog (357) and the Hatsan Carnivore.

To see how these mainstream big bores differ from the extreme big bore, check out a company (conveniently) called "Extrem Big Bores". There are others (like Dennis Quakenbush) but they are as good as any to illustrate the differance. Their guns have only 2 shots per fill but they pack enough power to take big game like bear and buffalo. In some states, they are the only option for hunting larger game with air guns.

Personally, I see no point in big bore air guns but if I did, and I wanted to hunt deer, and my State didn't impose really high minimum power requirements, I would probably look at the American Air Arms 357 Slayer. it's expensive but it produces decent power and it's not single shot.

if you provide a budget and find out your states laws, it will be easier to narrow it down.

Reactions: Hal4son
"Tn_airgunner"I just checked and get this. It's illegal to hunt big game with an air rifle yet it's legal to hunt small game such as coyote bobcat fox ect with .25cal airgun and smaller is considered legal. That makes no sense. A .177 is legal! But not a big bore
Laws are not meant to make sense. They are meant to keep people in a job, make certain people feel important and appease opposing groups to allow the legislation to pass and a politician to pretend they have a "legacy". 

I bet if you had a list of every law in America, there would be as many that did not make sense as ones that did.

hunting is one of those areas that has more than it's fair share of confusing and non-sensical legislation. An example that bugs me is that red squirrel is specifically not protected in my state so they can be hunted with no license but gray squirrel is protected. Red squirrel is as rare as dodos in my area but gray squirrel are like a plague or infestation. They are everywhere. If every resident in my town picked up an air gun and made it their full time job to eradicate gray squirrels for 5 years, they wouldn't even make a dent. 

Reactions: Smitty911
It depends if your state has minimum energy requirements for hunting deer. Some do and some don't allow deer hunting with air guns at all. It also depends on your budget as there is a fairly broad range.

There are two levels or categories of big bore too. You have the relatively low powered mainstream .30 to 50 caliber guns that put out 80fpe to 400fpe. Then you have the extreme big bores which typically shoot cast bullets from .257 up to 72 caliber and up to 1700fpe (using helium)

The mainstream ones are a little easier to live with as many are repeaters, have decent shot counts (for a big bore) and accuracy. At the higher price range, you have guns like the RAW 9mm and the FX Boss 30 cal which are both fairly refined for big bore air guns although they are not particularly powerful (80-100fpe). at the lower price range, you have the Sam Yang single shot big bores like the light hunter, also, the Benjamin bulldog (357) and the Hatsan Carnivore.

To see how these mainstream big bores differ from the extreme big bore, check out a company (conveniently) called "Extrem Big Bores". There are others (like Dennis Quakenbush) but they are as good as any to illustrate the differance. Their guns have only 2 shots per fill but they pack enough power to take big game like bear and buffalo. In some states, they are the only option for hunting larger game with air guns.

Personally, I see no point in big bore air guns but if I did, and I wanted to hunt deer, and my State didn't impose really high minimum power requirements, I would probably look at the American Air Arms 357 Slayer. it's expensive but it produces decent power and it's not single shot.

if you provide a budget and find out your states laws, it will be easier to narrow it down.
thats decent advice but i live about 40miles from the extreme big bores of texas main location here in ftworth texas(i live in grand prairie 40mi away) their building is shut up and aparently forclosed on and their website shows zero airguns of any kind available for sale.
so i bought the new AEA challenger standard big bore. $609 plus tax and the lower end of the power range is still above 200fpe and thats with a 81gr pellet or slug, ive fit a 220gr in the breach and that gave me 386fpe and i use the 125gr alot at 320fpe -221fpe on the 10th shot, or my 147gr copper electroplated self defense rds which start at 347fpe and are 248fpe at shot 10. you really cant shoot pellets out of this air rifle accuratly. but you can put two 11/32inch steel ball bearings into each magazine hole and shoot them two at a time. if using multiple bearings at different weights load lighter ones first and the heavier ones will reach target slower and thus multiple hits at one shot. you are welcome. Aetheral Sniper out

Laws are not meant to make sense. They are meant to keep people in a job, make certain people feel important and appease opposing groups to allow the legislation to pass and a politician to pretend they have a "legacy".

I bet if you had a list of every law in America, there would be as many that did not make sense as ones that did.

hunting is one of those areas that has more than it's fair share of confusing and non-sensical legislation. An example that bugs me is that red squirrel is specifically not protected in my state so they can be hunted with no license but gray squirrel is protected. Red squirrel is as rare as dodos in my area but gray squirrel are like a plague or infestation. They are everywhere. If every resident in my town picked up an air gun and made it their full time job to eradicate gray squirrels for 5 years, they wouldn't even make a dent.
say here in texas grey squirrel is good eating. giggles i used to hunt them with a slingshot as a kid. but seriously the gentleman who lives in that state that dont allow big bore hunting come to texas all you need is a .30cal to hunt upto allegator. so my .357 chall big bore is plenty.

actually i have been blind for the last decade and i am still an airgunner. so i did not notice that the thread was that old. but even so anyone who comes and reads it will see some updated info from me. and thank you so very much for wiping my butt for me, i just got to the site and did not even know such existed till i joined it.
i enjoy making myself heard so thats what i am doing existing. trying to enjoy existing while blind . and trying to build a 25yd range in the back yard since my city allows me to shoot here as long as whatever leaves the barrel of my air rifle stays on my property,,, thats how the local pd put it anyway.

so since i have the range set up and a back stop and targets and all , i just need anyone to look down the barrel and sight in the scope(i do not use the scope, it is for the sighted to fire my airrifle when i allow such) so when that happens i will matrk the spot the bipod is at and the placement of the rear of the stock and the elevation and i will then be able to shoot my target and relieve stress.

when my parabolic scope and lazer distance meter are set up and i get those on my airrifle i will be able to hunt again hearing heartbeats and knowing distance, and knowing what deer and hog sound like altogether. so

do you know anyone living between dallas and ft worth texas that might be interested in shooting my new challenger .357 big bore? because that would be helpful as all righteousness if you did.

Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 3.50.07 PM.jpg

Reactions: Smitty911
goldwing, smiles i really am blind so what is that in the picture? btw had a 1975 goldwing gl1000 but back in 2000 i layed it down after a fishtail on the hwy at 165mph, broke both ankles and ripped up some really good leather bent the handlebars and took the honda plates off both sides of the motor, but the bike did not flip just skidded along the asphalt with me next to it . then i kicked the bike away and there i was skidding on my leather and nothing else still passing cars for a few seconds and hopeing the leather brim on my jacket holds up and the heels of my boots cause thats all that was between me and the road. when it was over i hobbled to the gl1000 took alot of time getting the bike up bent handlebar and all, and it cranked(elec start) and i rode it home like that. but that was my last ride. good day