• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Big Bore Shooting Groups 3 or 5 Shots?

Here's the question. I shoot my Texan Tethered and for my mind accuracy and consistency I want 5 shots consistent. I can often shoot great 3 shoot groups but with 5 they open up. Even previously when my Texan barrel was horrible rough an inconsistent I managed to get one 3 shot one hole group. So.as.far as testing goes I feel 5 shot groups truthfully represent my accuracy. 3 shots I can brag but I don't fell result s are truthful. I have shot.many 3 shot clover leafs at 125 but next 2 open up usually. One day I may get full one diameter barrel on my Texan and see if it settles.things down a bit. Thanks friends

Reactions: tibor
One issue may be the size of the bottle and if you have a reg on it. For example if you have it tethered to a smaller bottle you may drop the pressure enough to change the velocity even if it’s on a reg. Are you using a chronograph to see if velocities are consistent? I use a huge great white tank and a reg and can shoot quite a few shots right within 5 to 10 fps spread. When I use a small ninja bottle I can only get ten shots or so before it starts opening up. Both are regulated at 3k psi. Hope this helps. I’ve seen guys put heavy barrels on their Texans but I don’t think the design of the Texan allows for free floating the barrel so I don’t think you will get amazing results with a new barrel. That’s just a guess mind u and I know there are guys who get absolutely amazing results but when I look at their set up it looks like they did a lot more than just changing a barrel. For my hunting purposes I just like to keep it light and really only focus on getting 3 really consistent shots on the stock Texan lss cf unregulated. I only tether it when I’m having fun plinking. Gluck to you 😎

Usually use 45 min scba tank tethered and get 30 or 40 shots before it falls off regulator. Have 5500 psi Scott tank 75 minutes, I don't use as often heavier, im kinda gimped.

16785519593516916735530191129371.jpg

16785520125302735747319732402489.jpg

Oh you have the same reg I have. It’s a good reg. Not really sure why you are experiencing it opening up like that but it could be a ton of reasons. I don’t think it’s your air source though. Either tank should have plenty of air and the reg is top notch. Could be bullet consistency. Could be you. Could be the barrel harmonics changed between shots due to heating up or possibly a slightly loose barrel screw? I tore mine down and used a torque driver and blue lol tight. All that said I don’t shoot mine as far as you do and I also don’t care about accuracy as much because I only need 3 Moa at 100 yards max and usually shoot at 50 yards and 75. I’d have to look at my notes but I think I usually get 1.75 to two inches at 100 and about an inch at 50. I’m interested to see how much accuracy you will get if you figure this out. You’re already shooting more accurately than I am although I don’t really notice groups opening up when it’s tethered so I think something is up. Keep us posted.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Ok.thank you both for your replies...I'm going to bed the back of my stock more..I also.think.I may pull my barrel and put o rings on it between the frame. I made it full 1 in diameter with .250 thick carbon tube, tension with Donny fl. I hand lapped my barrel and it is 100 percent better no leading. I clean often every outing. There is alot.of recoil.and vibrations on the 50. I'm sure if I went to a 257 with a full 1 inch barrel it would be more accurate. The big 50 is nice because you can see bullet splash a long ways. I'm in northeast it always wet and green hard to see impacts. My slugs are better than me. I need to weigh and sort for longer ranges. I do.use chronograph velocity consistant. Its getting better!! I'm going to keep at it......Hopefully get my yong heng fixed soon and do a lol long range shooting finally. .My 650 grain spire boat tail shoots well but I think it stress the Texan frame more than lighter slugs. I want to.get where I can shoot 5 and 10 shot groups with consistency. I'd be happy with consistent 3 moa groups ten shots😀

Last edited:
We only shoot 10shot groups in here since even 5 shots represent about 66% of natural poi circle of your gun. 5shots is ok for quick check when you search for correct bullet but if you want to know how your gun performs its really unlikely to show you correct spread on target.

Finally, someone shooting 10 shot groups. Don't know why this not common place?

I know exactly why no one is shooting ten shot groups with big bores. Most are manufactured with sub standards barrels and they lead so heavily no more than 3 shots possible without change. I really like big bore reviews now where they know accuracy is so bad they only shoot steel at 50 yards. I came from a Benchrest powder burner background. It has been very challenging getting consistent accuracy. Nothing like the cool videos on YouTube.. Opposite experience my $230 clearance airsaber.... Just like.the review video s. But 130BDX UTG crossbow scope on . chronograph...sighted in per scopes.instructions...calibrated speed ring. Shot at 50 yards for accuracy.... Sorted out arrows that shot like crap. Kept.the good ones. 😀😁😂 shot the target at 120 yards with 120 yard dot...and bam.hit target.. Airsaber was easy to get accuracy out of for $230.00.

It's a little more challenging to get those 10 shots on a good group. Here in Finland we do competitions on 100/200m at bench rest among enthusiasts. In both competitions, we shot 2 x 10 shot groups.
5 x 5 group competitions is also organized. Same distance 100m.

One flyer and usually you can forget it MOA group. Altought the wind there, in the shooting range is a bit tricky anyway, so very rarely does anyone get to enjoy MOA groups. Even if the equipment is capable of it On 5x5 is better change to get MOA or under

I have a AEA 357 challenger big bore and i shoot 3 shot group tethered at 3800 psi 130 gr slug. I do have a inline reg that i can set the psi. I have shot woodchucks 144 yards out with a 125gr slug minus the Donny Fl, The moderator only works when i'm shooting heaver ammo, 180 to 204 gr slower velocities. 8-900 ISH fps

IMG_20230107_090924340_HDR (1).jpg

Last edited:
At 100 yards a 5 shot group will open up mathematically by 40% if 10 shots are used. So it's easy to see why people don't shoot 10 shot groups.

As for big bore barrels leading up quickly, it's most likely because the projectiles most use are too soft. The guy I bought my Custom EBB says he shot thousands and thousands of rounds thru the Shillen barrel( think he said close to 5000 rounds)it currently has and he claimed he would rarely if ever clean the barrel. He experimented with several lead and Linotype mixtures, from all lead to mostly Linotype. 50/50 mixture he found worked best.

Reedmosser, as with most fliers, I'd suspect that the combination of a sightly different diameter and weight are going to be the bigger culprits in opening up group size. With that long, heavy cast slug it may be the combination of these factors throwing off the shot. As an experiment, would you be able to sort those cast slugs by visual blemishes, diameter, and also by weight? Then, shoot a group with the good slugs and also a group with the culled slugs. We'd all be interested in the findings.

At 100 yards a 5 shot group will open up mathematically by 40% if 10 shots are used. So it's easy to see why people don't shoot 10 shot groups.

As for big bore barrels leading up quickly, it's most likely because the projectiles most use are too soft. The guy I bought my Custom EBB says he shot thousands and thousands of rounds thru the Shillen barrel( think he said close to 5000 rounds)it currently has and he claimed he would rarely if ever clean the barrel. He experimented with several lead and Linotype mixtures, from all lead to mostly Linotype. 50/50 mixture he found worked best.
Harder ammo like hunter supply?

Well a stroke of luck😁 Some $2.00 valve seats and the yong heng is limping along again!!!!! With the barrel being hand lapped and smooth I starting to play with small things. I shot some wheel weight lead last slugs with powder coat and they actually shot a lil bit better. Really clean barrel perfect amount of lube on powder coat sized slug.. Have air now too shoot. Ill post ten shots tethered at 125 yards. Hopefully yong heng keeps working and I'd like to finally use the cold shot base and do a lil long range. I can video with my sightmark wraith. I just gotta figure out how to load.mini SD card.to.forum. Thanks to my peers is my only way to achieve accuracy goals😀

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist