Big bore recoil

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. My 177-25 caliber PCPs feel like they have no recoil but that isn't really true. They just have very low fpe by PB standards and they are not super light (5-7 lbs or so scoped). If you increase the fpe, I'm sure the recoil becomes more noticable. But I'm also confident a Texan at less than 1000 fpe doesn't feel like my 30 06 with over 3000.

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I literally bruised my shoulder when I initially sighted in my 30 06. The length of pull was too short for me and the recoil pad was pretty hard. With a softer pad, which also fixed the length of pull, it is reasonably comfortable to shoot. With scope it weighs less than 8 lbs. I think the biggest I've fired was a 30-378 Weatherby shooting 180 grain at 3500 fps. It was heavier (but a sporter) and was not uncomfortable. But the stock fit me reasonably well.

I said this to suggest that having the gun fit you is important to managing recoil so that it doesn't become unpleasant. Weight of the gun also makes a big difference. My suggestion is to make sure the length of pull is good for you and the height of the comb is good for you and if it still seems to be more recoil than you want, consider adding some weight. There are mercury devices that add weight and also spread the recoil out some, for instance, that can be added to the stock. If the stock is hollow, it is easy to add some sand or bird shot to add weight. While there are a few PCPs that go over 1000 fpe, that is still pretty low for a PB deer rifle.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I'm still trying to get used to how the Benjamin Bulldog M357 jumps. I'm wondering what methods I can employ to adjust to this. The muzzle likes to flip up. It's already not so light of an airgun, so I'm not so sure that I want to add weights. It's a hunting rig. I notice that when target shooting, if I grip the rifle loosely I will have a considerable POI shift. It requires somewhat of a firm hold in my experience. It even jumps in a Caldwell Turret Rest. Anyone have any useful suggestions I can try to help keep this big bore more stable?

I'm still trying to get used to how the Benjamin Bulldog M357 jumps. I'm wondering what methods I can employ to adjust to this. The muzzle likes to flip up. It's already not so light of an airgun, so I'm not so sure that I want to add weights. It's a hunting rig. I notice that when target shooting, if I grip the rifle loosely I will have a considerable POI shift. It requires somewhat of a firm hold in my experience. It even jumps in a Caldwell Turret Rest. Anyone have any useful suggestions I can try to help keep this big bore more stable?
With my Slayer I let the recoil run strait backwards, and do everything that I can do to make sure I don't input any other variables that will effect this. At rest either on the bipod or sitting on a front bag or a limb with no bipod, I am not pushing it forward or "loading up" the bipod like some would suggest to do, it is just sitting there. The heel resting on a small bag and I pull the stock against my shoulder, but not jammed in there. Just enough to control the recoil, and so it wants to go strait back. This is similar to what the spring gun shooter's do in a sense to manage their recoil; a light hold.

By taking some of the gun set-up and shooting techniques used by the ELR rifle shooters, you can tame that recoil and make it run strait backwards (as best you can with that fixed stock), which will likely tighten up those groups. The first thing I would do with that gun is reconfigure the butt plate so the top is touching my shoulder instead of the bottom. (Recoil wanting to go straight back against something behind the action and not low,. Low shouldering on the bottom heel of the butt plate creates a fulcrum and muzzle jump).

Here's a good ELR rifle shooter that puts out some good YouTube content especially about gun set-up and shooting techniques that you may find useful.