Other Big bore forum

A few years ago, 5+, there were lots of guys posting every day on the GTA big bore forum. Tons of expert advice. They seem to have all moved on. Miss them.
I started several years ago with a Extreme 457, Ranger 45, Career 909, Extreme 408, Slayer 357 and Bushbuck 452. Really enjoyed shooting them all. My top picks are the Slayer and Bushbuck which I still have.
Early on I bought lots of lead, molds, pot, have 3 shoebox compressors and 2 SCBA tanks. Agree that it takes a bundle to get set up but almost no cost to shoot after that.
I go to the range every week but find it much more enjoyable to shoot my 25 Panthera or 30 Evol.
Welcome to the group.

CZ and Bush buck seem to have some of the best barrels in the airgun business now. I'm sure you have a shooter...My first pcp was my .510 Texan....I want a smaller caliber and more accuracy of course😁. So some sort of 22 cal pcp will be in the future when funds permit...Pennsylvania only permits 22 cal for small game.......Sucks........I rather have a tricked out G30 or a 257 Bulldog.... I like the idea of 257 bullbog......

@shamu -

I never heard of GTA but just checked it out. Is it an active forum?

Yes, very much so.
GTA has some top people: modders, ballisticians, even pellet and slug designers.

I feel like GTA has more well-written posts that actually help users LEARN something — rather than just entertain, or pass time, if you know what I mean. 😊

Matthias

I have recently jumped head first into big bores and it appears, hopelessly hooked.
I love AGN but the participation level for big bores is minimal at best.
Is there another forum more geared for big bore shooters?
always looking for more information
There isn't that much to worry about. After the initial testing, buy a couple hundred rounds of its favorite bullet. Shoot a couple times a year to harvest pigs.

I have tried to get the activation email numerous times from GTA and nothing, anyone help me out here?

Reactions: MAUMAU and gendoc
@Chukar60 -

I was hoping that the big bore rifles had a larger following here as well, but I think we are in the minority.

Although I enjoy reading about the various smaller calibers, I have zero interest in shooting targets unless I am zeroing a pistol / rifle.

My main interest is hunting and for centerfire rifles there are a plethora of forums available, but as you mentioned, less for big bore PCP's.

I hunt pretty much every day, so maybe I'll post a hunting story in the Hunting section here.
I’m also interested in hunting stories and peoples opinion on what’s working and not working it’s my first hunting season with a .457 Texan but have interests in other guns as well where is the hunters talking

I think most people get into big bores for hunting, not so much for recreational shooting and so they don’t have much to share with the community regarding their hunting rig’s except around hunting time. This is true for me, as most of my recreational shooting is done with smaller caliber pellet rifles and I’m only getting my Texan out maybe a time or two throughout the year until a couple weeks before deer season comes around and then it becomes the most important air rifle I own. Hahaha
Big bore shooting is so much more expensive in ammo as well as air consumption, i think it limits how much shooting the average person is willing to invest in.
I have a question does anyone one know if you can shoot 50 caliber muzzleloader ammunition in the 50 caliber Hatsan pile driver it would give you a greater selection of precision, ammunition, and a larger selection of bullet weights and at a cheaper price than the 50 caliber air rifle slugs
I think most people get into big bores for hunting, not so much for recreational shooting and so they don’t have much to share with the community regarding their hunting rig’s except around hunting time. This is true for me, as most of my recreational shooting is done with smaller caliber pellet rifles and I’m only getting my Texan out maybe a time or two throughout the year until a couple weeks before deer season comes around and then it becomes the most important air rifle I own. Hahaha
Big bore shooting is so much more expensive in ammo as well as air consumption, i think it limits how much shooting the average person is willing to invest in.

I'd say hunting regulations and up front costs are keeping most out of big bores..For big bores an external regulator...scba tanks ....compressor... Casting equipment.... Molds...or buy expensive airgun slugs.......leads $1.00 a pound if you are a home caster...
I’m new to pcp air rifles and I’m looking in to the big bore can you not shoot muzzleloader ammunition it would be cheaper and you would have a greater selection of precision, ammunition, and a larger selection of bullet weight! I am interested in the Hatsan 50 caliber power driver

I’m new to pcp air rifles and I’m looking in to the big bore can you not shoot muzzleloader ammunition it would be cheaper and you would have a greater selection of precision, ammunition, and a larger selection of bullet weight! I am interested in the Hatsan 50 caliber power driver
Yes, you can use black powder bullets. There's a difference between 510 and .50

I believe the Hatsan 50 power, driver is one of the 510 is there anyone out there? Is there anyone out there who has one of the Hatsan power driver 50 caliber that knows this answer for sure?
Piledriver in 50 caliber uses .510 ammo. Theres plenty of black powder ammo on that diameter. I use BP ammo in my homemade 50 caliber that has a 50/510 bore.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I have a question does anyone one know if you can shoot 50 caliber muzzleloader ammunition in the 50 caliber Hatsan pile driver it would give you a greater selection of precision, ammunition, and a larger selection of bullet weights and at a cheaper price than the 50 caliber air rifle slugs
You can shoot whatever fits. And then after you’ve found what fits then you’ll have to narrow it down to what your airgun shoots most accurately. Many people cast their own lead ammo for their big bore airguns.
I would stick with pure lead ammo for the sake of the barrel and for the expansion of the ammo at airgun power levels. Harder lead/tin ammo made for higher power levels aren’t going to expand well at the airgun level. You might check out Mr Hollowpoint. He makes a large variety of heavy slugs.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
You can shoot whatever fits. And then after you’ve found what fits then you’ll have to narrow it down to what your airgun shoots most accurately. Many people cast their own lead ammo for their big bore airguns.
I would stick with pure lead ammo for the sake of the barrel and for the expansion of the ammo at airgun power levels. Harder lead/tin ammo made for higher power levels aren’t going to expand well at the airgun level. You might check out Mr Hollowpoint. He makes a large variety of heavy slugs.
I agree that less posts because most big bore are hunters which holds true with me I’ve asked on a few forums any reports on western bush buck deer hunting or quacken buck .45 no responses does anyone have inputs and it’s quackenbush I think

I agree that less posts because most big bore are hunters which holds true with me I’ve asked on a few forums any reports on western bush buck deer hunting or quacken buck .45 no responses does anyone have inputs and it’s quackenbush I think
I’m going to try and take a doe with my quackenbush 458 outlaw this weekend . Will post pictures if successful.

I’m looking at lighter weight bullets, like the 200 grain ballistic tips for muzzleloaders to get a higher muzzle velocity out of it

IMG_5326.jpeg

I agrees with the other folks. Along with a reg & home casting which I've never really done.
Started with a Fire 201 9mm as soon as they upgraded from the .25 valve. Standard Korean ammo and in Fla. easily dropped hogs clean. Career ,707 as soon as the II came out in .25. 100fpe rifle for a shot or two but learn the wheel and one clip, 8 90fpe shots. Pre ordered the Career Ultra 9mm which was an excellent HEAVY rig IF you knew it was designed for "Pelletman" flat back 97g ammo. otherwise to use pellets they needed a bit of shimming ... . The 3rd "909 Big Bore" with "quick change barrel" that was great once brought up to the original designers specs. Red brick's at 100 for $100 please. Every time.
Discovered .177 and FT sold em all and didn't look back except for a DAQ .458 just to hunt one year in TN and to show a few people a "big" airgun.
Recently picked up a .452 DAQ pistol for exactly the reason the little pamphlet that comes with them say's.
Real bummer, but okay (HELP please) is the golden ammo for it seems to have been discontinued. All lead Hornady .45 ACP 230g round nose. 3/4th inch 2 shot groups (but airgun folks don't like 2 shot groups much so why post pics) every time. .451 round ball is touching -every time- at 25 yards. Havent really tried the NSA 196g.

If you have a question about one I knew about I chime right in. All airguns are fun. (you o have the utilitarian Red Ryder correct? A must have.)

If anyone has a know good store bought slug for the DAQ.452 please let me know. View attachment 393472
View attachment 393471View attachment 393474View attachment 393475

Personally thinking about one of those $80 18mm (?) adjustable regs from a 4,500 psi bottle just to get the pistol sighted once I decide what we really want on it. Might like a simple 2moa dot but money money.

John
I have approximately 500 of these in .454:

I'd have to buy a .452 sizing die. Let me know if you interested. They do weight 199 - 200gr.