Other Big bore forum

I think most people get into big bores for hunting, not so much for recreational shooting and so they don’t have much to share with the community regarding their hunting rig’s except around hunting time. This is true for me, as most of my recreational shooting is done with smaller caliber pellet rifles and I’m only getting my Texan out maybe a time or two throughout the year until a couple weeks before deer season comes around and then it becomes the most important air rifle I own. Hahaha
Big bore shooting is so much more expensive in ammo as well as air consumption, i think it limits how much shooting the average person is willing to invest in.

Thanks for the responses and offers for help.
What I am looking for is the same thing I absorbed here with small bore guns. General information and other members asking questions I had not considered. Basically just information to assimilate. I asked here about PBBA still being in business and a member hooked me up with a phone # for them.
When I was working my way through these two guns both Kip @ AOA and Terry Tate at PBBA were very helpful and generous with their time.
My learning curve was dealing with an unregulated gun. Once explained it was fairly easy from there.
Despite the rain here I was shooting the Bushbuck today verifying my sight in before deer season opens in 9 days.
This will be my first hunt for big game with an air gun. Have not been this excited to hunt big game in over a decade.
Thank you all again. It is nice to know you all are here.

One big attraction to airgunning is the ability to target practice without alerting neighbors. Keeping shooting skills sharp and eliminating unwanted pests with low-cost ammo, using precision, near-silent air guns is a big draw. Check out KayLaindy's recent video review of the new Umarex .50 Carbine Hammer and you'll see why Big Bores might not fit this scenario well enough to attract many followers. WM

I'd say hunting regulations and up front costs are keeping most out of big bores..For big bores an external regulator...scba tanks ....compressor... Casting equipment.... Molds...or buy expensive airgun slugs.......leads $1.00 a pound if you are a home caster...
The upfront cost is fairly high, the amount of air and lead required to shoot one, let alone 2 or 3 creates issues.
I swore I would never own a compressor but I now have two 98 cf air tanks, a 70 something and an 18 cf tank and dragging all of that to the air gun shop and filling them is a pain. Currently looking at two used Coltri/Daystate units.
This aint a game for folks with thin wallets or frugal minds.

I agrees with the other folks. Along with a reg & home casting which I've never really done.
Started with a Fire 201 9mm as soon as they upgraded from the .25 valve. Standard Korean ammo and in Fla. easily dropped hogs clean. Career ,707 as soon as the II came out in .25. 100fpe rifle for a shot or two but learn the wheel and one clip, 8 90fpe shots. Pre ordered the Career Ultra 9mm which was an excellent HEAVY rig IF you knew it was designed for "Pelletman" flat back 97g ammo. otherwise to use pellets they needed a bit of shimming ... . The 3rd "909 Big Bore" with "quick change barrel" that was great once brought up to the original designers specs. Red brick's at 100 for $100 please. Every time.
Discovered .177 and FT sold em all and didn't look back except for a DAQ .458 just to hunt one year in TN and to show a few people a "big" airgun.
Recently picked up a .452 DAQ pistol for exactly the reason the little pamphlet that comes with them say's.
Real bummer, but okay (HELP please) is the golden ammo for it seems to have been discontinued. All lead Hornady .45 ACP 230g round nose. 3/4th inch 2 shot groups (but airgun folks don't like 2 shot groups much so why post pics) every time. .451 round ball is touching -every time- at 25 yards. Havent really tried the NSA 196g.

If you have a question about one I knew about I chime right in. All airguns are fun. (you o have the utilitarian Red Ryder correct? A must have.)

If anyone has a know good store bought slug for the DAQ.452 please let me know.
DAQ4.jpg

DAQ.jpg
careers.jpg
DAQ013 .jpg

Personally thinking about one of those $80 18mm (?) adjustable regs from a 4,500 psi bottle just to get the pistol sighted once I decide what we really want on it. Might like a simple 2moa dot but money money.

John

If you have a question, ask. Wont be a ton of discussion because I think most of us...when we get our big bores set up, there really isnt a ton to discuss. Mine are shot infrequently and taken out now and then for S&G's or to verify zero. I've had multiples over the years and now am down to 8 or 10

I agrees with the other folks. Along with a reg & home casting which I've never really done.
Started with a Fire 201 9mm as soon as they upgraded from the .25 valve. Standard Korean ammo and in Fla. easily dropped hogs clean. Career ,707 as soon as the II came out in .25. 100fpe rifle for a shot or two but learn the wheel and one clip, 8 90fpe shots. Pre ordered the Career Ultra 9mm which was an excellent HEAVY rig IF you knew it was designed for "Pelletman" flat back 97g ammo. otherwise to use pellets they needed a bit of shimming ... . The 3rd "909 Big Bore" with "quick change barrel" that was great once brought up to the original designers specs. Red brick's at 100 for $100 please. Every time.
Discovered .177 and FT sold em all and didn't look back except for a DAQ .458 just to hunt one year in TN and to show a few people a "big" airgun.
Recently picked up a .452 DAQ pistol for exactly the reason the little pamphlet that comes with them say's.
Real bummer, but okay (HELP please) is the golden ammo for it seems to have been discontinued. All lead Hornady .45 ACP 230g round nose. 3/4th inch 2 shot groups (but airgun folks don't like 2 shot groups much so why post pics) every time. .451 round ball is touching -every time- at 25 yards. Havent really tried the NSA 196g.

If you have a question about one I knew about I chime right in. All airguns are fun. (you o have the utilitarian Red Ryder correct? A must have.)

If anyone has a know good store bought slug for the DAQ.452 please let me know. View attachment 393472
View attachment 393471View attachment 393474View attachment 393475

Personally thinking about one of those $80 18mm (?) adjustable regs from a 4,500 psi bottle just to get the pistol sighted once I decide what we really want on it. Might like a simple 2moa dot but money money.

John
I've got a good selection of 45 molds from reloading 45 acp and colt. PM me your address and I'll put together a sampler next time I'm casting.

Shooting the big bores is quite a bit more expensive than the smaller calibers, that is for sure. It isn't hard to put a $20.00 in the air before you know it's done. However, it is still a lot cheaper than the powder burners, and the groups can be nearly as good if I do my job. I like them for long range silhouette shooting. I have yet to take a deer with one though.
slayer.1.1.jpg
IMG_20201121_172500352~2.jpg
IMG_20201213_171821253~2.jpg

Last edited:
For.me once I had the initial investment in compressor,, scba tanks, external regulator, casting equipment and molds, and first lots of lead I bought at a $1.00 a pound. Its much cheaper than powder burners. I can cast something like #16 .510. 650 grain spire point boat tail size and powder coat them for a dollar....Huge benefit😀!!!!!I recycle all my lead...I shoot into a old equipment bucket that is a amazing bullet trap!!!!!

Reactions: airprsr
@Chukar60 -

I was hoping that the big bore rifles had a larger following here as well, but I think we are in the minority.

Although I enjoy reading about the various smaller calibers, I have zero interest in shooting targets unless I am zeroing a pistol / rifle.

My main interest is hunting and for centerfire rifles there are a plethora of forums available, but as you mentioned, less for big bore PCP's.

I hunt pretty much every day, so maybe I'll post a hunting story in the Hunting section here.

I think big bores attract a pretty small number of air gun guys because, at least for me, I was intrigued by the diminutive power level and what could be done with it and the phenomenal accuracy of today’s air guns.
Stepping into big bore pretty much obliterates the first attraction.
I have always been interested in the more obscure facets of the shooting sports and frankly the thought of taking a big game animal with an air gun has me hooked to the bone.
First hunt will be for a mule deer and if all goes well I will drop the $ to get a left over non-resident tag for an area up north and go chase whitetails late in the year.
Still not convinced I want to chase elk with the air gun yet. See how the deer hunts go.

I only got onto them after building my 50 caliber. I built it last year and finally got to have a proper range day with it last week, out to 200 yards. Thankfully the range had a 110v outlet on a light pole by a table so I took my compressor but water was a problem. The 6 full power shots and supersonic velocity really shined though.

OK, I need some advice what qualifies for this sub-forum "Big Bores and Arrow Shooters."

In the forum description it says: "Big caliber or Big power (150FPE+) and Arrow Shooters."

Well, so if big power is defined by 150FPE+...
then how is big caliber defined?
Is .30cal enough — or not? 😊

Just trying to figure out where to post what.

Cheers,

Matthias

Yes a 30 is enough....308 Texan definitely big bore...Happy to have you 😀

Well, thank you! 😊

After months of searching and failing to buy a .30cal Prophet 2 — I got hit by an offer of the type "you can't refuse" (or maybe that's just me).

So, yesterday I bought, totally out of the blue, a .30cal CZ barrel, 600mm, from a local guy.
Now, to find another local guy good enough to adapt it.... 🤔

Matthias