• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Big bore caliber recommendation

If you are not going to hunt large game AND plan on shooting a lot recreationally, the .257 or .308 Texan is a great choice. It gives you the ability to effectively put game animals on the ground, and also is much MUCH cheaper to shoot (if you are buying ammo and/or do not have bullet casting equipment)

IF you plan on hunting big game in the future you may wish to go with the .45. The .50 is cool, but a lot of expense in ammo, reduction in effective range, added recoil, etc. when really none of that power is being put to proper use. 

I have the .308 Texan and it's devastating. It's very flat shooting so it's user friendly and with a 100 yard sight in I'm on target on my scope mildots to 300 yards. The .257 is the same, only flatter but obviously with a bit less energy.

Good luck.

Most states which allow air rifles have 3 tiers for calibers.

1. caliber for small stuff like squirrels and rabbits.

2. caliber for pests and "fur bearers".

3. caliber for "big game", which may or may not include deer/hogs/bears/mountain lions/etc.

I have one of each caliber, but those numbers were derived from the fish and game regulations for my state.

There are still some game which I cannot hunt at all (examples in my state are Elk and Bison).

The starting point for any determination will always be your state hunting regulations, any other purchase is "just for fun/Target plinking".

I have a Texan .50 and i can truly say it's an airhog and an absolute hoot to shoot :)

I have a 9liter CF bottle and when i run it at a true 330bar~4800si i can get something like 50 regulated 250bar~3625si shots before it falls under 250bar~3625psi.

So when you plan for a true big caliber then be prudent and plan (good) for a steady suply of air, cause you're going to use a lot.

I started with a YH and used it twice before getting an Altaros booster, takes way longer but it plain works without issues.

If you plan to shoot a lot then consider getting into casting your own bullets. Startup is high but then ammo is but free (only the cost of scrap lead).

I'll throw in my two while I'm here. The .357 Slayer is a super nice big bore topping out at 312 FPE with 152gr cast HP slugs It's great for deer, hogs, turkey, coons, bobcats and yotes. Easy cocking with the balance valve and accurate with the tensioned TJ barrel. A highly refined well built big bore with a retractable bolt probe and a titanium reservoir. I keep mine tuned at 280 FPE for five shots within a 2% ES.

The other is the FX Impact II in .30 caliber with a 700mm barrel. I have been shooting this platform with .30 cal cast pellets at 85 FPE. It'll do another 10 FPE with these, but It's very quiet at 85 FPE. This gun is very accurate and with a high shot count using the side-shot magazines. I have had the gun up to 115 FPE with heavier projectiles, which is about the max, IMHO. This is with dual ports, a power plenum and a slug kit.

Texan 308 all day,price on ammo rises quickly with larger calibers.

It will drop everything under a bear that Ive shot anyway at 175yds and under.

IMO nothing can run with Airforce,best thing is they dont leak💪

FX cant run with a tuned up Condor much less any Texan.

The savings are worth it

Agree wholeheartedly. I own an FX Impact .25 and previously had a Raptor .30. The FX .30 and the Slayer are nice, but at over 2K and not as powerful (granted they're more accurate at short range) it just doesn't compute. The Airforce platform has been working for years and is still just as popular...for good reason. Like they say, 'Eat mutton. 10 million coyotes can't be wrong'

Big bores are a bit expense to buy and operate if shooting a lot, but they are worth their weight in gold for a number of reasons. Look to the future use, ammo expense, resale, and fun-factor. Also, ask yourself this: do you want to single load every time that you shoot, or do you want a magazine fed repeater? The magazine is best for hunting and follow-up shots, and the breech can be single fed at the bench/range. However, magazine fed rifles limit the length of bullet and weight, so they can be "limiting" there for hunting if you find a good accurate bullet that can only be hand fed into the breech.

Future hunting laws will likely change to include the use of air rifles for deer there if the trend continues from other state's. For hunting predators and hogs I'd think about a .357 or even a .45 caliber, as store bought cast lead bullets there can be nearly as cheap as JSB .30 caliber pellets. And if you should decide to go out of state hunting hogs or deer in the near future you won't be under-powered for a double lung shot. For long range bench shooting at paper or ringing steel a .308 or .357 will likely keep you on target out to 500+ yards after it is tuned with a specific bullet, and have the powder burner guys at the range in awe of your abilities.

As a first big bores, a Benjamin Bulldog would be a nice platform to play around with if just plinking .357, with a magazine that fits most ammo, and can be modified to have enough power to hunt any big game if you like. Air Force Texans are pretty much plug and play in any caliber but single fed anything. And just like the Bulldog's, with a lot of aftermarket parts to customize the thing to your liking. Extreme Big Bores, and the like, are really nice but have a super high fill pressure and low shot count.

I'm in South Louisiana and I have not found any info saying Deer airgun hunting is legal but I haven't checked in a few months.

I have a benjamin bulldog. 357

Tuned for 6 shots near the 245ft lbs range.I have no doubts withing 60 yards it will destroy a Whitetail deer.

I also buy cheaper lead pistol reloads and I get 1" 5 shot groups at 50 yards at 10 cents a round.

Pure whitetail hunter Id go for a Texan .457.Bigger hole....faster blood loss.

.357 pistol reloads are the cheapest big bore ammo.5 shot groups untethered at 50 yards.

148 grain gt bullets wadcutter(100 for $10 at GTBullets)

158 grain Hornady .38 lead Round Nose(300 for $28 at academy)

158 grain Hornady Hollow Base Wad Cutter(250 for $23 at Academy)

IMG_20201229_1988.1609639607.jpg
IMG_20201209_31196.1609639607.jpg
IMG_20201209_47244.1609639608.jpg

Thx for the info, yes you are correct. It is still illegal. But I was wondering if it's worth it getting a larger caliber rifle for the future 

That's a justifiable concern. As a Texan .308 owner I can say that I would be limited to the places to take big game if caliber is used to denote the legality. The FPE is certainly enough (a .308 Texan and a .30 FX for instance aren't even in the same ballpark), but from what I've seen some states are .35 caliber and up for big game. You need to decide what's most important to you. From what I see, here are the factors:

What is your budget? You can spend anywhere from $700 to $2500 on a quality over-the-counter big bore. 

Assuming you are going to buy ammo as opposed to casting, factor in the cost if it matters. Big price difference between .30 and .45 or .50. 

A single shot is perfectly fine in my opinion. Repeaters are nice for small bore, but honestly for big bore it's no big deal. Treat your big bore like a muzzle loader and make the first shot count. You can reload in plenty of time to dispatch a downed animal and/or begin a track. 

Be aware of the weight factor. My Texan is 15 lbs. with scope, suppressor, and bipod. It's a bitch to shoot offhand but I do it. On the other hand, my Sam Yang 909s .45 is compact and very easy to swing/aim/carry. If you are going to do any hiking or still hunting take that into account.

Shot count doesn't matter. Repeat, SHOT COUNT DOES NOT MATTER. It's a big bore and it uses a lot of air. You're not plinking, you're hunting. Most big bores give you at least two shots, some a couple more. Wrap your head around it and accept it.

How far do you want to effectively shoot? Different guns will obviously perform better at different ranges, but in reality you are talking about 100 yards and in for big game. What the gun can do on the bench doesn't always translate into the field with all of the variables. I can be on steel all day long at 400 yards with the Texan but that doesn't mean that I'd shoot at big game at anywhere near that distance. The truth is that almost all big bore bullet shooters are good to 100 yards.Make the distinction between bullet shooters and pellet shooters. The 'hybrid' guns (Bulldog, FX/Hatsan/JSAR etc. .30 cal's) are just not as powerful; if you want something with a lot of horsepower you'll need to forego the pellets-or-bullets concept.

Bottom line is that we're all different and value different things based on budget, mobility, game pursued, and state-by-state game laws. Hopefully you can apply some of this to make the decision that works best for YOU.