• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Big Bore AirGun Turkey Hunt with Benjamin Bulldog .357- Video

Hey Deja I know this sounds crazy but the closer they get the easier it is to miss. The 3 yards shots are the hardest. I showed the miss for a reason. It wasn't the guns fault. This miss was my fault because the scope had been knocked off somehow and I even shot the gun the night before so not sure but sometimes things like that happen when your hunting. I not ashamed of the miss at all and its not the first time I have missed. When the hunt is on and the adrenaline is flowing if your a true hunter you know ANYTHING can happen. You think when guys miss shots with their bow at 20 yards its the bows fault? I wanted to show this miss because its also the main reason I love Airgun Turkey Hunting so much. When I bowhunted turkey (and I was a regular 3D archery competitor) I wounded several birds that I never recovered and always felt terrible as any true hunter would. I have never wounded a turkey with an Airgun and I have 27 Airgun Turkey kills under my belt. How many do you have?

I feel very strongly that Airgun Turkey Hunting should be legal in every state for this very reason. My argument has always been that if your aiming for the head of a turkey with an AirGun your chances are much greater for either a "Clean Kill" or a "Clean Miss" as compared to both bow and Shotgun. I know many Shotgun hunters wound turkey every year and leave them embedded with pellets because I have killed 3 with my Airgun that had shotgun pellets in their chest when I ate them. IMO this makes Airgun Turkey Hunting the most deadly form of Turkey Hunting. I'm not saying its easier all I'm saying is that you are less likely to wound a Turkey with an Airgun when compared to both bow and shotgun making it more deadly in my opinion therefore it should be legal in every state that allows Bow Hunting turkeys and that is every state in the union. 

Hey man, I know I did watch the whole thing. Yes those close range shots can be hard at times depending on your setup (scope hight). It just felt more fun to post about 12 yard misses.

;)

That said, I never hunted anything larger than small pest birds, Im not from the US and anything air gun hunting related is forbidden here. Has to be powder burners. 
With my limited knowledge I would guess that almost anything is better than bows. Tbh if your out to kill something powder do seem to be the humane alternative and the rest is just playing.

That said, airguns inside buildings for sure.

Bows are actually really awesome and very deadly and I have nothing against Bows and still love to Bowhunt and I personally would rather Bowhunt than hunt with a Powder Burner any day. That's why I love Airguns as well because it helps levels the playing field between you and your chosen prey and makes it much more challenging. Anybody can shoot something 300 plus yards now a days with the centerfire rifles and scopes and ammo available but to me that's just not a challenge. Nothing against powder burners either, to each their own. I love and respect all legal forms of hunting. 

The main point I'm trying to make is that Airgun Turkey Hunting is frowned upon because most people think that you are going to just wound one and I feel the exact opposite from my 20 combined years (13 years bowhunting and 7 years Airgun Hunting them) of experience. I know that the AirGun is least likely to wound a bird compared to bow or shotgun when you are aiming for the head because with an Airgun you either miss them or you hit them in the head and any hit in the skull is vital.

It's time to legalize AirGun Turkey Hunting nationwide so every American can enjoy this great sport.

Reactions: NMshooter
Fun video. It is obvious you are serious about knowing your air rifle and its ballistics and being as accurate as you can be. 

I've been bowhunting for 46 years. Lots of bowhunters aim for the head, for the same reasons you state above. I'm also a retired Wildlife Director in a state that doesn't allow rifles, of any kind, for turkey hunting. These are some of the reasons (I'll withhold comment on the validity of the reasons) why shotgun and bow are the only legal methods in some (most) states:

Before I list them please realize, that for most years, air rifles weren't even on the radar of FW agencies. In my 30-year career I never one time had anyone ask for air rifles to be legal for turkey hunting. The following reasons for no rifles is not relevant to air rifles.

1. Safety: With other hunters in full camo, given the distance rifles can shoot, there is great fear of mistaken targets by folks who aren't as careful as they should be.
2. Tradition: The shotgun was the equipment of choice as turkey populations recovered from the market hunting days of the 1800's. 
3. Wounding: FW agencies are concerned too many people won't know the limits of their equipment and choose to take body shots. 

Finally, as someone who has been in countless hearings where folks have made regulation change recommendations, I highly recommend you be very respectful of the current legal methods and make your case for your suggestion on its merits, not versus other means. I'm quite sure those who will make the decision will be or be close to far more shotgun and archery turkey hunters. 

It is a tricky case to make. If one makes a strong point for the lethality of the "pellet rifle" issue #1 above (safety) becomes the roadblock. But one must be convincing that the properly placed pellet is lethal and not an impossible shot for the average hunter. The strong point for safety will be the looping trajectory of the projectile which will make folks more comfortable that distant targets will be confused. Of course if the air rifle enthusiast touts 100 and 200 yard shot capability, the safety issue will be the roadblock. The very best evidence for the case of air rifles for turkey hunting will be empirical information from states where it is legal. Very few folks like to go first. 

Thanks bowwild I really appreciate the comments especially from a Wildlife Officer former or otherwise. I have the utmost respect for following game laws and doing everything according to the book and was luckily taught that by my father before he was killed when I was 9.

I definitely agree that any Centerfire Rifle should not be legal for Turkey Hunting and I don't want to be sitting on the ground with those going off around me. When I lived in Michigan I was scared to go deer hunting during rifle season for that very reason.

Airgun Turkey Hunting has been legal in California since the early 2000's and although it has become more popular recently with the advent of the internet it still is relatively small group of hardcore individuals that are mostly using .22 or .25 caliber airguns. I'm sure there are other hunters in California using Big Bore Airguns but I am the only one I know that is doing and this was my first attempt.

Usually I go with the Benjamin Trail .22 break barrel for many reasons that you state above but mostly safety. The farms I hunt out here are mostly Horse farms that do not allow Shotguns nor do they like bows with arrows flying around but they never mind Airguns when I explain it to them and how I am going to set up. I always set up with a good backdrop with nothing behind it.

The Airgun opens up all kinds of hunting areas that normally would be off limits to shotguns due to noise or safety concerns. I understand the Big Bore Airguns raise other questions on safety concerns but California does not have an Airgun size limit listed and I would not use the gun where I thought I didn't have plenty of room but I realize too there are a lot of idiots out there. The CA law says you must have at least a .177 caliber airgun for turkey hunting. States could limit the size to .22 or .25 and that would help eliminate the safety concern.

I also know from experience that an arrow can travel as far or farther than a pellet when you are hunting on the ground. I shot at a turkey once out of the blind on the ground and found my arrow 150 yards away. It had skipped across the hard ground. Small caliber airguns pointed down or at ground level at a turkey are not going to go 10-20 yards past where they first hit the ground. 

As far as the deadliness of the Airgun I will always feel that it is more deadly than other methods. Not saying easier just saying less chance of wounding one IMO and you have to compare it to something. I always compare it to Bow hunting because I bow hunted turkey for 13 years and feel I can speak from experience. Bow hunters always get upset and again I have nothing against bow hunting turkey I loved it for God sake. All I'm Saying is your are less likely to wound one with an Airgun vs a bow if your aiming for the head of the turkey with your airgun. Now I know some guys are going to want to do body shots on turkeys and I was highly skeptical of it myself. That was until famous Airgun Hunter Jim Chapman came out to hunt with me 2 years ago and he body shot 2 turkeys on that trip one with a .22 caliber Walther and one with an Evanix 30 cal Rainstorm and both birds went less than 30 yards. Now Jim had really great pictures and he studied them but the effectiveness of body shots on turkeys has been proven by Jim Chapman and he is a great hunter. 

I would argue that most airgun hunters would be more likely to aim for the head than the body vs most Bow hunters are more likely to aim for the body vs the head.

I also feel that the economic impact of allowing Airgun hunters to hunt turkey would be an incredible revenue boost for any states wildlife agency. There are literally thousands of guys out there with Airguns already that would probably get their license just to go turkey hunting. Imagine all of the new hunters. They would all need equipment too. Blinds, range finders, decoys, calls, licenses, etc, etc, etc. They would want to join the National Wild Turkey Federation like I did. This would be a huge economic boom to the hunting industry.

Also I really feel that Airguns help attract more young hunters and women to hunting. We have several women out here that are buying their first Airgun for Christmas just to hunt turkey. For kids it offers a fun way to start hunting without the scary bang. Ammo is also much cheaper and you can do a lot of practicing. It also makes you think about and helps you understand trajectory and makes everyone a better rifle or bow hunter. There are so many reasons to legalize Airgun Turkey Hunting I still don't understand why every state wouldn't want to allow it.

I feel Airgun Hunters are where Bow Hunters were 50-60 years ago and facing the same obstacles guys like Fred Bear faced when he said I can kill a giant bear with this little stick and string and look where the archery industry is now. In 20-30 years or less I hope every state will have Airgun Hunting for all species of game and I feel they will.

Thanks so much for the comments.

Awesome hunt.
Sure would be nice to see turkey hunting open up across the country for both the Bulldog and the Airbow. Perfect application for both these rifles. I can appreciate the concerns of bowwild and as an avid duck hunter you can see the idiots skyblasting out on opening day (wounding more birds than they kill). However, the true hunter knows his equipment and it's limitations. I truly appreciate you charting the shot placement from 5 yrd out to 40, it demonstrate your responsibility to others (nice job!) . You didn't chart out to 100 yards. Unfortunately it will be an uphill battle opeing up air rifles for hunting more species because of the ignorance to the accuracy of these amazing rifles. Perfect example is dove hunting, should be legal but it isn't. I truly hope Crosman and other US manufactures leads the way in promoting this sport. 
Again, Great video1

NMshooter

Thanks NMshooter for the positive comments I really appreciate it. Sometimes its easy to get frustrated with battle for legitamacy but I feel strongly and I'm super passionate about Airgun Turkey Hunting. My dream is to be able to travel to other states to Airgun Turkey hunt especially states like Florida for Osceolas and Nebraska or somewhere like South Dakota for Merriams. Man that would be awesome to be able to get my Super Slam with an Airgun.

I'm glad you liked the charting in segment. I wanted to show that these rifles are extremely accurate and are capable of ethical clean kills and that the miss wasn't the rifles fault and I wanted to show that Airguns provide a better chance of a true "Clean Kill" or "Clean Miss" opportunity vs other approved weapons so why discriminate against us and then I'm reminded of that word you mentioned, Ignorance, Ahah now I remember why we're getting discriminated against. Thanks for reminding me lol. 

I think over time as regular powder burner ammo becomes harder to get and more regulations pop up and population and development expands eating up hunting areas Airgun Hunting will become more and more popular and there will be more opportunities to hunt different species in the future.

Crosman has done a great job promoting AirGun Hunting with the help of Marketing Director and Airgun enthusiast Chip Hunnicutt. Unfortunately Chip has moved on to Arcus Brands in Georgia recently and Crosman is replacing him with a new marketing director this month. Not sure who the replacement is yet but looking forward to them continuing the great work Chip started. 

If anyone has the time it's something I would really appreciate and that is letting Crosman know if you think I am doing a good job representing the brand and don't tell them if you think I'm not LOL. Crosman has been really good to me over the last 4 years and any positive feedback would be appreciated. I'm trying to earn another trip back to the SHOT SHOW this year. It was really cool to go last year and shoot the AirBow at Range Day.

"AirgunMan"Thanks NMshooter for the positive comments I really appreciate it. Sometimes its easy to get frustrated with battle for legitamacy but I feel strongly and I'm super passionate about Airgun Turkey Hunting. My dream is to be able to travel to other states to Airgun Turkey hunt especially states like Florida for Osceolas and Nebraska or somewhere like South Dakota for Merriams. Man that would be awesome to be able to get my Super Slam with an Airgun.

I'm glad you liked the charting in segment. I wanted to show that these rifles are extremely accurate and are capable of ethical clean kills and that the miss wasn't the rifles fault and I wanted to show that Airguns provide a better chance of a true "Clean Kill" or "Clean Miss" opportunity vs other approved weapons so why discriminate against us and then I'm reminded of that word you mentioned, Ignorance, Ahah now I remember why we're getting discriminated against. Thanks for reminding me lol. 

I think over time as regular powder burner ammo becomes harder to get and more regulations pop up and population and development expands eating up hunting areas Airgun Hunting will become more and more popular and there will be more opportunities to hunt different species in the future.

Crosman has done a great job promoting AirGun Hunting with the help of Marketing Director and Airgun enthusiast Chip Hunnicutt. Unfortunately Chip has moved on to Arcus Brands in Georgia recently and Crosman is replacing him with a new marketing director this month. Not sure who the replacement is yet but looking forward to them continuing the great work Chip started. 

If anyone has the time it's something I would really appreciate and that is letting Crosman know if you think I am doing a good job representing the brand and don't tell them if you think I'm not LOL. Crosman has been really good to me over the last 4 years and any positive feedback would be appreciated. I'm trying to earn another trip back to the SHOT SHOW this year. It was really cool to go last year and shoot the AirBow at Range Day.

Problem you'll have with fullfilling your goal is that airguns aren't legal in Florida for turkey. Crosman's AG hunting chart is highly inaccurate. It erronously states game birds are legal with AGs in Florida and most varmints and hogs are not; both assertions are incorrect. Most varmints may be hunted with airguns in Florida. So can hogs. Game birds and turkeys may not be. Most importantly, that chart says fox squirrels are legal with airguns. That's like nails on a chalkboard. Fox squirrels are highly revered and totally protected in Florida. 

Maybe you can let them know that.

BTW, I like your vid! 

Thanks for asking Gunnertones. Actually famous Big Bore Airgun Hunter Jim Chapman "The American Airgun Hunter" did come out to hunt with me 2 years ago and he harvested 2 birds on that trip both with body shots. He had very detailed pictures of the vitals that he studied often. They showed a line straight up the legs and then intersecting with a line from the beard. Where the lines crossed was the target for the vitals. If the bird was in full strut the line across was drawn from the top of the beard. If the turkey was standing upright at attention the line across was drawn from the middle of the beard.

Jim shot the first bird with a .22 caliber Walther PCP at 25 yards and even though I was skeptical the bird only went 30 yards before piling up. The next day he shot beautiful Tom with the .30 cal Evanix Rainstorm from 20 yards and it only went 20 yards before expiring.

I have never attempted a body shot because I don't want to mess up the meat. 

Reactions: Gunnertrones