Big Bang Pellet Trap

Hello everyone,

I wanted a really good Pellet Trap that I could use both indoors and outdoors and one that would last for a long time. I could not find anything that I liked so I designed one from scratch, what I call the Big Bang Pellet Trap.

I designed it to be made out of aluminum ( except for the interior backing plate ) for two main reasons: 1) It would last forever in any weather conditions and, 2) It cuts the overall weight down for easy handling. The Target Face Opening is framed with aluminum angle for added reinforcement strength and a place to clamp on the cardboard backing material for your paper targets. An additional aluminum angel is added on the bottom at the back to act as a footing so that the Trap can be placed on a level surface. The front and rear angle can also have some holes drilled, for some screws to hold a “block” of wood to mount on a post or pipe.

The “back plate” of the Trap is set at an angle to reduce the impact of the pellet and deflect it downward and creating a “trap” for the spent pellets. The angle also eliminates any splatter from the pellet that would cause damage the backside of the paper target.

I added a 11-gauge ( 1/8" ) thick mild steel interior “backing plate” to enhance the strength so as to eliminate damage caused by a pellet. I have spent many weeks testing this Pellet Trap from 10-meters out to 50-yards and as a result I have determined that it can be safely shot with no damage under the following conditions:
At 10-meters no more than 30fpe, ( foot pounds of energy )
At 25-yards no more than 55fpe, ( foot pounds of energy )
At 50-yards no more than 70fpe, ( foot pounds of energy )
I have shot this Trap almost 600 times as of today and it shows no sign of wear at all.

I designed this for use with Airgun Pellets ONLY, NOT to be used with any rim fire of center fire ammunition.

I have a good friend who owns a welding fabrication shop and asked him to build two of these Traps for me and here are a couple of photos. They work great and are so easy to set up, change targets, change target backing material, move to different locations and easy to store. All of the spent pellets and target paper and cardboard backing material that has been shot winds up inside for a no mess and easy clean up.

ThomasT
Big Bang Pellet Trap 100.jpg
Big Bang Pellet Trap 101.jpg
Big Bang Pellet Trap 102.jpg
Big Bang Pellet Trap 103.jpg
Big Bang Pellet Trap 104.jpg

Hello everyone,

I wanted a really good Pellet Trap that I could use both indoors and outdoors and one that would last for a long time. I could not find anything that I liked so I designed one from scratch, what I call the Big Bang Pellet Trap.

I designed it to be made out of aluminum ( except for the interior backing plate ) for two main reasons: 1) It would last forever in any weather conditions and, 2) It cuts the overall weight down for easy handling. The Target Face Opening is framed with aluminum angle for added reinforcement strength and a place to clamp on the cardboard backing material for your paper targets. An additional aluminum angel is added on the bottom at the back to act as a footing so that the Trap can be placed on a level surface. The front and rear angle can also have some holes drilled, for some screws to hold a “block” of wood to mount on a post or pipe.

The “back plate” of the Trap is set at an angle to reduce the impact of the pellet and deflect it downward and creating a “trap” for the spent pellets. The angle also eliminates any splatter from the pellet that would cause damage the backside of the paper target.

I added a 11-gauge ( 1/8" ) thick mild steel interior “backing plate” to enhance the strength so as to eliminate damage caused by a pellet. I have spent many weeks testing this Pellet Trap from 10-meters out to 50-yards and as a result I have determined that it can be safely shot with no damage under the following conditions:
At 10-meters no more than 30fpe, ( foot pounds of energy )
At 25-yards no more than 55fpe, ( foot pounds of energy )
At 50-yards no more than 70fpe, ( foot pounds of energy )
I have shot this Trap almost 600 times as of today and it shows no sign of wear at all.

I designed this for use with Airgun Pellets ONLY, NOT to be used with any rim fire of center fire ammunition.

I have a good friend who owns a welding fabrication shop and asked him to build two of these Traps for me and here are a couple of photos. They work great and are so easy to set up, change targets, change target backing material, move to different locations and easy to store. All of the spent pellets and target paper and cardboard backing material that has been shot winds up inside for a no mess and easy clean up.

ThomasT
View attachment 326720View attachment 326721View attachment 326722View attachment 326727View attachment 326728
very nice , selling those might keep you in pellets , maybe ?

• Love
Reactions: 450BM and ThomasT
Very nice, love to have one of those!
Hello @jccams

Well my friend that made these for me said he would start selling them if enough people showed interest. He said the only way to keep cost down was to build at least 10 at a time.

ThomasT

Hello @jccams

Well my friend that made these for me said he would start selling them if enough people showed interest. He said the only way to keep cost down was to build at least 10 at a time.

ThomasT
Hi Thomas,

Does your friend have an idea of what he would sell them for assuming there is enough interest?

Hi Thomas,

Does your friend have an idea of what he would sell them for assuming there is enough interest?
Hello again @jccams

Pete has a Facebook Business page ( Cammareri Fabricating ) that you can contact him or send me a PM with your phone number and I can pass it on to him. Pete said he can sell them for $135.00 plus a flat rate shipping of $25.00 to the lower 48 states and take credit card for payment. Again if there is enough interest he will ad them to his Facebook page.

ThomasT

Reactions: beerthief
Very nice indeed. May be too noisy for me. But I really like it.
Hello @Struckat

They are not noisy at all, aluminum absorbs the sound unlike steel. Here is a photo of them in my small shop where I have been shooting them for weeks.

ThomasT
Big Bang Pellet Trap 107.jpg

Will the item come with the steel back plate, or do I need to source that separately?
Hello @cmatera

It will be exactly as shown in the photos. He will bend the steel plate to shape and then rivet it in place. If you look real close at the back photo and the inside photo you will see the rivets.

I have been shooting mine this morning a lot and now passed 600 pellets and only the black paint is missing.

ThomassT

I have an insanely heavy duty trap that will even stop a .223 powder burner round (the black box with the yellow sticker in the pic), but it is very heavy (like 60 pounds). I am old and weak. I've been using a box stuffed with old blue jeans (the box with the target on it in the pic), but it is hard to clean. I will PM my phone number to you, because I don't do Facebook.

IMG_1325.jpg

I have an insanely heavy duty trap that will even stop a .223 powder burner round (the black box with the yellow sticker in the pic), but it is very heavy (like 60 pounds). I am old and weak. I've been using a box stuffed with old blue jeans (the box with the target on it in the pic), but it is hard to clean. I will PM my phone number to you, because I don't do Facebook.

View attachment 326817
Hello @cmatera

OK got your PM and will pass along to Pete.

ThomasT

Hello again @jccams

Pete has a Facebook Business page ( Cammareri Fabricating ) that you can contact him or send me a PM with your phone number and I can pass it on to him. Pete said he can sell them for $135.00 plus a flat rate shipping of $25.00 to the lower 48 states and take credit card for payment. Again if there is enough interest he will ad them to his Facebook page.

ThomasT