Big Bang Pellet Trap

When Thomas started this thread I jumped on board immediately as this was exactly what I was looking for. Everything went great until USPS got involved and the package went missing on the same day it was sent over a month ago. Both Thomas and his friend Pete spent a lot of time trying to find this package. I also filed a missing package search request and was informed this morning by USPS they could not find the package.

I contacted Pete and asked what my options were. He gave me the choice of a replacement or a refund, I really wanted the pellet trap so I opted for a replacement. I explained to Pete that I knew he was busy and building a one off was not cost effective but he said he would build one this weekend and ship it beginning part of next week, not via USPS.:mad:

Just wanted to give a shout out to Thomas and his friend Pete for the time and effort spent on this. They are both stand up guys and I would not hesitate to deal with either of them again.

When Thomas started this thread I jumped on board immediately as this was exactly what I was looking for. Everything went great until USPS got involved and the package went missing on the same day it was sent over a month ago. Both Thomas and his friend Pete spent a lot of time trying to find this package. I also filed a missing package search request and was informed this morning by USPS they could not find the package.

I contacted Pete and asked what my options were. He gave me the choice of a replacement or a refund, I really wanted the pellet trap so I opted for a replacement. I explained to Pete that I knew he was busy and building a one off was not cost effective but he said he would build one this weekend and ship it beginning part of next week, not via USPS.:mad:

Just wanted to give a shout out to Thomas and his friend Pete for the time and effort spent on this. They are both stand up guys and I would not hesitate to deal with either of them again.
Hello Jeff and thank on behalf of Pete and myself for the kind words. You are a gentleman to acknowledge the effort that Pete has put into this situation and his effort to resolve to your satisfaction.

Thank you again,
ThomasT

Okay, thought I'd bring this home. The original pellet trap and a replacement (thanks to Pete, neither of us thought the original would show) arrived a week ago Saturday. The original was a little beat up but I was able to straighten the bent areas in my vice. I ended up keeping the second one too, you never know, lol. I shot it with my P17 at 7yds this week and it is great. It was outside but the sound wasn't bad to me, as it gets nicer I'll move it out to my rifle range area and see how it sounds. I'm hoping it's not too loud for my neighbors, we'll see.

A final shout out and thank-you to both Pete and Thomas. Hopefully Pete will make more of these and others can take advantage of these extremely well made and good looking pellet traps. Also very light and easy to move around.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Okay, thought I'd bring this home. The original pellet trap and a replacement (thanks to Pete, neither I'd us thought the original would show) arrived a week ago Saturday. The original was a little beat up but I was able to straighten the bent areas in my vice. I ended up keeping the second one too, you never know, lol. I shot it with my P17 at 7yds this week and it is great. It was outside but the sound wasn't bad to me, as it gets nicer I'll move it out to my rifle range area and see how it sounds. I'm hoping it's not too loud for my neighbors, we'll see.

A final shout out and thank-you to both Pete and Thomas. Hopefully Pete will make more of these and others can take advantage of these extremely well made and good looking pellet traps. Also very light and easy to move around.
Hello @jccams

Glad to hear you are getting some shooting time on your BBPT. I have now gone over 3,000 pellets shot at my number one BBPT and close to 200 on my number two BBPT. With the weather so nice now I am moving both traps outside to shoot 10-meter targets. I drilled two holes in the bottom of each trap and bolted them down to the wood stand. Then I added a set of caster wheels to the stand and now the whole assembly is mobile.

ThomasT
Big Bang Pellet Trap 200.1.jpg

Just shot three mags at it. Shooting an FX Wildcat Mk3 in .22 with 16 grain pellets. They go right through the rubber, steel sheet knocks 'em down to the bottom of the trap. Works great but a bit loud still when they hit the steel for the quiet properties around me. I need to do something to tame the sound a little.
What if you put a piece of that rubber mat over the backing plate also?

Are orders still being taken for the second batch?

• Love

Hello @tnbndr

Pete is still planning to make another production run and make as many as needed, but it will be after the Crawfish Cooker season has slowed down. I spoke with him this past week and they are covered up in his shop with Cooker Orders. If you want one PM me your Name and email and I will add it to the list.

ThomasT

Reactions: jetpopt and tnbndr

That's exactly what I did. Got some 1/4" thick self adhesive rubber from Amazon, stuck it on the face of the steel sheet. So that with the 3/4" horse stall mat material hanging in front makes it pretty quiet, and easy to collect spent pellets. You still hear the paper being punched but that's not very loud.

Hello everyone,

Some of you folks must have Superman hearing. A friend of mine came over with his daughter and two of her teenage friends and shot at 25 yards outside for over two hours. I asked all of them several times if the Traps were to loud and they all said they couldn't even hear the pellets :unsure:.

ThomasT

That's exactly what I did. Got some 1/4" thick self adhesive rubber from Amazon, stuck it on the face of the steel sheet. So that with the 3/4" horse stall mat material hanging in front makes it pretty quiet, and easy to collect spent pellets. You still hear the paper being punched but that's not very loud.
Kirkair

Are you able to post up a picture of your customization? Perhaps the link to the 1/4 self adhesive backing you used?

I was thinking of taking the 3/4 inch horse mat and putting it inside in front of the steel backer and then also add a piece on the front of it too.

-PJ

Last edited:
do you think it would handle a .30 cal with maybe 95 ft. lbs. of energy?
and is it loud?
Hello @Wjs2

OK, I saw your second post so you have read and up to date on information about the traps.
1) The amount of impact that the Trap can handle depends on the distance that you are shooting. This is NOT the trap "itself", it is the 1/8" steel plate at an angle that receives and deflects the pellet. The aluminum "Trap housing" was designed to support/hold the steel plate at a very specific angle and control the pellet splatter and catch the spent pellets. The size of the trap was designed to accommodate paper targets printed on standard size paper, 8-1/2 x 11.
1A) If you can get a scrap piece of 1/8" steel plate and support it at about 20 degrees and set it up at the distance that you shoot, and then actually shoot the plate. Then inspect the plate and see if your 30 cal did any damage. If no damage then the BB Trap will work for you.
2) As far as noise is a concern, I have shot the BB Trap inside my shop at 15-feet with a .22 cal and the gun report is all I can hear. I did a video on this. I have had a number of guest over to my house and shoot at 25-yards for hours, and not one person said they could hear an impact. To be truthful I don't know what else I can state about noise.

Hope this will help but if you have any more questions please let me know.

ThomasT

Kirkair

Are you able to post up a picture of your customization? Perhaps the link to the 1/4 self adhesive backing you used?

I was thinking of taking the 3/4 inch horse mat and putting it inside in front of the steel backer and then also add a piece on the front of it too.

-PJ
Here are some pics of my current set up. The 3/4" horse mat works great on the front for knocking off a bit of velocity and for sound. The 1/4" neoprene self-adhesive material I put on the steel sheet isn't holding up well at all. Probably around 100 pellets in it and it's falling apart. It's not dense enough.

No complaints from neighbors on sound so far, so I'll just keep it as it is.

I put a pic of the inside face of the horse stall mat and it is holding up good. This pellet trap is easy as crap to clean out too. I recommend them if your looking for one.

IMG_6447.jpg

IMG_6753.JPG

IMG_6752.JPG

IMG_6755.JPG

• Love
Here are some pics of my current set up. The 3/4" horse mat works great on the front for knocking off a bit of velocity and for sound. The 1/4" neoprene self-adhesive material I put on the steel sheet isn't holding up well at all. Probably around 100 pellets in it and it's falling apart. It's not dense enough.

I put a pic of the inside face of the horse stall mat and it is holding up good. This pellet trap is easy as crap to clean out too. I recommend them if your looking for one.

View attachment 351888

View attachment 351889

View attachment 351890

View attachment 351891
Hello @kirkair

That mat looks like it is holding up really well and I still like you blue paint job (y)

ThomasT

View attachment 351888

View attachment 351889

View attachment 351890

View attachment 351891
Kirkair,

Thanks. I bought the horse mat I just need to cut it to size. Did you just use a box cutter to cut it?

-PJ