Big Bang Pellet Trap

Hello everyone

Fellows here is what I am now doing when replacing a Shot target with a Fresh New Target. I pre-cut several cardboard backings and have them near my Bench. I go ahead and tape a Fresh New Target on one of the cardboard backing. Then when I have completely shot the target that is on the Pellet Trap, I take the New Target/Cardboard to the Trap and simply exchange. This is so simple and easy and on a 10-meter or 25-yard setup it makes the exchange quick. Hope this will help.

ThomasT
Big Bang Pellet Target x1.jpg

Last edited:
I just wanted to report that I have a little over 100 JSB heavies into the BBPT and I could'nt be happier with my purchase!
Hello @Str8tshooter

So glad to hear that and that you are getting to use it and I will tell Pete.

I have lost count on mine, it is over 2,000 by now. I moved mine outside today and shot it with my Crown at 10-meters. I had two General Targets set up side by side and shot the heck out of them.

ThomasT

• Love
Reactions: Str8tshooter
Got my trap last week. I put a piece of 3/4" thick horse stall mat rubber in front, with stainless steel bolts. Then put the trap inside a plywood box with another piece of stall mat material in the back, in case someone gets a little off target.

Just got it all done yesterday and gonna shoot some after lunch today.

The rubber should knock off most the velocity so the pellets won't slam the back steel. It also works well to hold targets with push pins.

IMG_6447.jpg

IMG_6448.jpg

Got my trap last week. I put a piece of 3/4" thick horse stall mat rubber in front, with stainless steel bolts. Then put the trap inside a plywood box with another piece of stall mat material in the back, in case someone gets a little off target.

Just got it all done yesterday and gonna shoot some after lunch today.

The rubber should knock off most the velocity so the pellets won't slam the back steel. It also works well to hold targets with push pins.

View attachment 334479

View attachment 334480
Hello @kirkair

That looks real good. Looks like you have blue lights shinning on it, cool (y), I like that target also :D

Please show some photos after you have shot it a lot.

ThomasT

Last edited:
Thomas,

It's just reflection from the plywood box interior which is painted blue. I was using leftover paint I had so blue inside and brown outside.

I have a big backstop too, as I'm in a residential area on one acre. Probably overkill, but being cautious too.

View attachment 334487
That is a really nice target set up :love: wow.

ThomasT

Hello everyone,

I wanted a really good Pellet Trap that I could use both indoors and outdoors and one that would last for a long time. I could not find anything that I liked so I designed one from scratch, what I call the Big Bang Pellet Trap.

I designed it to be made out of aluminum ( except for the interior backing plate ) for two main reasons: 1) It would last forever in any weather conditions and, 2) It cuts the overall weight down for easy handling. The Target Face Opening is framed with aluminum angle for added reinforcement strength and a place to clamp on the cardboard backing material for your paper targets. An additional aluminum angel is added on the bottom at the back to act as a footing so that the Trap can be placed on a level surface. The front and rear angle can also have some holes drilled, for some screws to hold a “block” of wood to mount on a post or pipe.

The “back plate” of the Trap is set at an angle to reduce the impact of the pellet and deflect it downward and creating a “trap” for the spent pellets. The angle also eliminates any splatter from the pellet that would cause damage the backside of the paper target.

I added a 11-gauge ( 1/8" ) thick mild steel interior “backing plate” to enhance the strength so as to eliminate damage caused by a pellet. I have spent many weeks testing this Pellet Trap from 10-meters out to 50-yards and as a result I have determined that it can be safely shot with no damage under the following conditions:
At 10-meters no more than 30fpe, ( foot pounds of energy )
At 25-yards no more than 55fpe, ( foot pounds of energy )
At 50-yards no more than 70fpe, ( foot pounds of energy )
I have shot this Trap almost 600 times as of today and it shows no sign of wear at all.

I designed this for use with Airgun Pellets ONLY, NOT to be used with any rim fire of center fire ammunition.

I have a good friend who owns a welding fabrication shop and asked him to build two of these Traps for me and here are a couple of photos. They work great and are so easy to set up, change targets, change target backing material, move to different locations and easy to store. All of the spent pellets and target paper and cardboard backing material that has been shot winds up inside for a no mess and easy clean up.

ThomasT
View attachment 326720View attachment 326721View attachment 326722View attachment 326727View attachment 326728
Really nice.

Reactions: ThomasT
That horse stall mat looks durable. I wonder it it will work with lower powered guns without pellets getting stuck in the rubber? What kind of power does it take to penetrate it?
Just shot three mags at it. Shooting an FX Wildcat Mk3 in .22 with 16 grain pellets. They go right through the rubber, steel sheet knocks 'em down to the bottom of the trap. Works great but a bit loud still when they hit the steel for the quiet properties around me. I need to do something to tame the sound a little.

Reactions: ThomasT
Wow I am surprised the Pellets blew through the Horse Mat. But I see you are from FL, my experience shooting at rubber targets like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BXPUZU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Worked fine in the summer but as soon as the weather cooled down in the fall, the pellets were bouncing back and hitting my house, I no longer use those rubber targets.

I have only had my Horse Mat that I purchased at Family Farm and Home for a couple weeks, and my .177 pellets were bouncing back at my indoor 6 yd range. I placed a rug in front of the Horse Mat and that solved that problem.

I would caution folks in cold climate States shooting rubber as it's reactivity is temperature sensitive.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I made some modifications to the wood Stand that I made for the two Big Bang Pellet Traps. I am using the Stand and Traps outside so much that I decided to add a set of wheels to make it really easy to move the whole rig outside at one time.

I bought some small Fixed Dolley Wheels ( casters ) that would fit on the ends of the 2x4 wood “feet” of the Stand. By installing them in this position it keeps the Stand level and the Wheels off the ground when not being mobile. Next I bolted both Big Bang Pellets Traps to the Stand with some 1/4x1-1/4 stainless hex bolts. Now the Stand and both Traps become one solid unit and is simple and easy to move around anywhere.

Hope this will help with your stand.

ThomasT

Big Bang Pellet Trap 200.1.jpg
Big Bang Pellet Trap 201.1.jpg
Big Bang Pellet Trap 202.1.jpg

Reactions: Simplemann