Big Bang Pellet Trap

Thomas

Can you do a video with sound, assuming you can post it here, how would you describe the sound of the pellets hitting? My steel one is a big gong.
Good morning @HogKiller

I can make a short video but I am not really sure how to convert it so that I can upload it here on the Forum. Let me see what I can come up with.

ThomasT

Good morning @HogKiller

I can make a short video but I am not really sure how to convert it so that I can upload it here on the Forum. Let me see what I can come up with.

ThomasT
Hello everyone

OK I hope this works, I am using an old Camron camera and I only filmed three shots to keep this video ( if it works ) short to upload it. Look real close and you might see that I shot the first 3 sighters left to right.

ThomasT

Looks pretty neat ..

Things i would change

A little more slope/ angle on back stop..

Catch pan in floor..

3/16 min backstop plate. 1/8 stuff here just dont hold up long . Easily bent up then blasted holes through it. 3/16 stuff ive yet to need replace ( comon mild steel). Hard like the farm disc blade steel is thin but it dont flinch or make a mark even with 800+ fps at 10m ....lol

Looks pretty neat ..

Things i would change

A little more slope/ angle on back stop..

Catch pan in floor..

3/16 min backstop plate. 1/8 stuff here just dont hold up long . Easily bent up then blasted holes through it. 3/16 stuff ive yet to need replace ( comon mild steel). Hard like the farm disc blade steel is thin but it dont flinch or make a mark even with 800+ fps at 10m ....lol
Well @Mo-Ron

?????

ThomasT

Look guys. TT designed the thing the way he did. He was kind enough to tell us about it, guys asked about buying one. I didn't see anything about asking for design ideas or for his fabricator to make custom/modified one offs. He is offering what he can. If you want something else feel free to design one, make one, and offer it for sale. Can we get this thread back on topic?

Very nice Thomas! I would definitely want one, but I need to get some distance from recent purchases, to avoid the stink eye look I’ll be getting later when UPS arrives. I hope he makes a few extra for inventory.
Hello @Scotty1

Thank you very much and I am sure he will build extras if he gets the first initial orders. Pete builds the number one Crawfish Cooker on the marker and during season ( which is now ) produces them in warehouse quantities. Have a great day Scotty and buy something special for the wife, that might distract her for a while :ROFLMAO:

ThomasT

Look guys. TT designed the thing the way he did. He was kind enough to tell us about it, guys asked about buying one. I didn't see anything about asking for design ideas or for his fabricator to make custom/modified one offs. He is offering what he can. If you want something else feel free to design one, make one, and offer it for sale. Can we get this thread back on topic?
Good morning to you @cmatera and thank you:)

I designed this originally just for myself. A neighbor came over and watched me shoot a paper target and asked where did I buy that. After a bit of discussion he made the comment "that every body that owned and shot an airgun needs one and I should offer them for sale." I explained that I was too old and too tired. Then I asked Pete if he would be interested and he said he would if he could make at least 10 units at a time, and you know the rest.

I really appreciate your down to earth understanding of my effort here to share with other Forum members.

Have a wonderful day,
ThomasT

Hello everyone

OK I hope this works, I am using an old Camron camera and I only filmed three shots to keep this video ( if it works ) short to upload it. Look real close and you might see that I shot the first 3 sighters left to right.

ThomasT

Hello everyone,

I hope you were able to view the video, it does work on my computer. Enlarge the screen view and you will see where my pellets hit, 1st was lower right on the first sighter, 2nd almost same location on the second sighter, and the 3rd shot was upper right on the third sighter. Please note all shots in the black :ROFLMAO: (y):D

Maybe some of you with good hearing can hear the pellet hit the Trap, but I cannot. I only hear the report of the Pistol. I had the camera set right next to me on the left side so that I could turn it on and off. Hope this will answer your questions, if not let me know.

ThomasT

Last edited:
Reactions: beerthief
Before hitting the keyboard, I went back through the beginning posts, I missed, what calibers are you using? Just spitballing, with a bit of wild ass guessing it MIGHT be ok up to .25, and no slugs.
Hello @HogKiller

The caliber does not count, it is the fpe ( foot pounds of energy ) that is important.
At 10-meters no more than 30fpe, ( foot pounds of energy )
At 25-yards no more than 55fpe, ( foot pounds of energy )
At 50-yards no more than 70fpe, ( foot pounds of energy )

EXAMPLE: At 10-meters you can use a .177 or a .30 as long as you do not exceed 30fpe. Yes I hate to even say this but there is a "built in" safety factor. I had to calculate this for Pete so that there is a "reasonable" value to protect his build.

I don't need this for me, I am well aware of the allowable "use" of various materials and I know NOT to exceed these values. But for Pete to offer a product to a consumer he MUST apply some limitations. Most ( but certainly not all ) Forum members have and use good judgment when using their air guns, they know from past experience what "should" and "should not" be attempted with various air guns.

I am a retired design engineer and my last project was to design and build three all aluminum supply boats at a cost of 6.65 millions each. I have to realize that not every one has the same experience with various metal as I have had. So it is very important that I do everything within my abilities to help and protect Pete and any other person or company that I offer my services. Pete is a friend, I knew his dad forever and since Mr. Pete has passed Pete Jr has taken over the business and it is my pleasure to help him.

ThomasT

Hello @Scotty1

Thank you very much and I am sure he will build extras if he gets the first initial orders. Pete builds the number one Crawfish Cooker on the marker and during season ( which is now ) produces them in warehouse quantities. Have a great day Scotty and buy something special for the wife, that might distract her for a while :ROFLMAO:

ThomasT
Well heck, I just bought a brand new 12 sheet shredder for our anniversary, does this ever end?

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Good morning to you @cmatera and thank you:)

I designed this originally just for myself. A neighbor came over and watched me shoot a paper target and asked where did I buy that. After a bit of discussion he made the comment "that every body that owned and shot an airgun needs one and I should offer them for sale." I explained that I was too old and too tired. Then I asked Pete if he would be interested and he said he would if he could make at least 10 units at a time, and you know the rest.

I really appreciate your down to earth understanding of my effort here to share with other Forum members.

Have a wonderful day,
ThomasT
Even if it never comes to fruition, I thank you for your effort, for sharing, and for trying to get these for your fellow air gunners. I will not second guess your design, and I do realize you and Pete are not the Make A Wish Foundation. Please keep me informed as to the progress to 10. If we get close, I may buy a few extras to get us to the 10 needed for production.-carl

PS Thank you for the sound video, You were right. All I hear is the noise of the gun, almost nothing from the trap.

Even if it never comes to fruition, I thank you for your effort, for sharing, and for trying to get these for your fellow air gunners. I will not second guess your design, and I do realize you and Pete are not the Make A Wish Foundation. Please keep me informed as to the progress to 10. If we get close, I may buy a few extras to get us to the 10 needed for production.-carl

PS Thank you for the sound video, You were right. All I hear is the noise of the gun, almost nothing from the trap.
Hello again @cmatera

Thank you again. I am pretty sure if he gets 4 to 5 firm orders he will go into production because this will give him "an inventory" to sell from.

I'm not much on producing videos as you could see, and if I make another one I believe it will be a better quality. I saved this one "for email" use being a low bits. I think I could have saved it as a "computer" use and that higher quality would have still uploaded. Oh well, it served the purpose.

I shot several times before turning the camera on and really listened for any pellet sound, but I just could not hear one hitting. This of course is shooting in a very small closed space, outside at 10-meters and beyond I never heard anything other than my rifle's report.

ThomasT

Hello @HogKiller

The caliber does not count, it is the fpe ( foot pounds of energy ) that is important.
At 10-meters no more than 30fpe, ( foot pounds of energy )
At 25-yards no more than 55fpe, ( foot pounds of energy )
At 50-yards no more than 70fpe, ( foot pounds of energy )

EXAMPLE: At 10-meters you can use a .177 or a .30 as long as you do not exceed 30fpe. Yes I hate to even say this but there is a "built in" safety factor. I had to calculate this for Pete so that there is a "reasonable" value to protect his build.

I don't need this for me, I am well aware of the allowable "use" of various materials and I know NOT to exceed these values. But for Pete to offer a product to a consumer he MUST apply some limitations. Most ( but certainly not all ) Forum members have and use good judgment when using their air guns, they know from past experience what "should" and "should not" be attempted with various air guns.

I am a retired design engineer and my last project was to design and build three all aluminum supply boats at a cost of 6.65 millions each. I have to realize that not every one has the same experience with various metal as I have had. So it is very important that I do everything within my abilities to help and protect Pete and any other person or company that I offer my services. Pete is a friend, I knew his dad forever and since Mr. Pete has passed Pete Jr has taken over the business and it is my pleasure to help him.

ThomasT
Well, I've never seen a .177 develop 70fpe, or a .22 for that matter and MAYBE a real hotrod .25., speed kills...squirrels.

Hello everyone,

I went back out into the shop and finished shooting that target that I was using to make the "sound" video for the Big Bang Pellet Trap. I am attaching a copy here and I outlined in red the three sighters that I shot for the video. If you enlarge the video you should be able to see the pellets hit the target, it is fast, you hear the pistol report and see the hole, it is fast.

ThomasT

Big Bang Pellet Trap Sound Video.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: .20calguy
Wonderful looking target box , i am impressed . and Pete can really fabricate for that little amount ? WOW
Hello @beerthief

Thank you. I can assure you that Pete will not and can not retire form any sales of these Traps. Pete is a country boy who loves to hunt and loves to shoot, this offer is made to the airgun family.

ThomasT

Reactions: beerthief
Well, I've never seen a .177 develop 70fpe, or a .22 for that matter and MAYBE a real hotrod .25., speed kills...squirrels.
Hello @HogKiller

I am pretty sure that those folks that have a .30 cal rifle shooting slugs at 900fps will not be shooting a "test target" at 10-meters or even at 25-yards. Most likely 50-yards will be the closest. If they are using 50gr pellets at 900fps that would be 89.95fpe at the muzzle, out at 50-yards it would be a slight bit lower and would be outside the limit of the Trap.

ThomasT

Hello @HogKiller

I am pretty sure that those folks that have a .30 cal rifle shooting slugs at 900fps will not be shooting a "test target" at 10-meters or even at 25-yards. Most likely 50-yards will be the closest. If they are using 50gr pellets at 900fps that would be 89.95fpe at the muzzle, out at 50-yards it would be a slight bit lower and would be outside the limit of the Trap.

ThomasT
Yep, Along that vein I'm going to be pretty safe in saying that it's not suitable for my little ol' .17HMR. :LOL:

• Love