Big Bang Pellet Trap

I've been watching this thread and the recent Pete the Pellet Trap builder thread and I must say I am impressed.
I have a Do All Air Strike trap and a 14" Trap made from 3/4 plywood, the steel plate I backed it with dictated the size.
Kirkair's comment is notable and I may pick one up the next time I go to the Orange colored box store for another level of protection.
I wanted to say I have used Duct Seal as my backing in both. I check it before and after every session and have not had a problem to date.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThomasT
Hello @Str8tshooter

Received your PM and I have added you to the list. I will let you know which Production Run you will be in just as soon as Pete starts shipping the first Traps. Bye the way, he is fabricating the "patterns" today so actual production will start real soon.

No Jambalaya but if you are here at lunch time I have a big pot of Shrimp Gumbo on the stove right now :LOL:

Thanks again,
ThomasT
Ok where are y' atall
Hello @HogKiller

Living up here in Deep East Texas has some great advantages but I sure do miss the quick and easy access to fresh Bay and Gulf shrimp. Boy that firm pure white meat and the iridescent reds, blues and greens coloring on the legs guarantee the freshness. It's almost worth the 2+ hour drive to go buy 20 pounds and come back home and eat the whole lot 🍤, ( but just one pound at a time ) :D.

ThomasT
There it is.
I was wondering where y'all were at with all that crawfish talk.
I'm in southeast Louisiana.
👍

Reactions: 17dean and ThomasT
When Thomas started this thread I jumped on board immediately as this was exactly what I was looking for. Everything went great until USPS got involved and the package went missing on the same day it was sent over a month ago. Both Thomas and his friend Pete spent a lot of time trying to find this package. I also filed a missing package search request and was informed this morning by USPS they could not find the package.

I contacted Pete and asked what my options were. He gave me the choice of a replacement or a refund, I really wanted the pellet trap so I opted for a replacement. I explained to Pete that I knew he was busy and building a one off was not cost effective but he said he would build one this weekend and ship it beginning part of next week, not via USPS.:mad:

Just wanted to give a shout out to Thomas and his friend Pete for the time and effort spent on this. They are both stand up guys and I would not hesitate to deal with either of them again.
Hello @jccams, Just wanted to let you that I joined the forum and I thank you for your business and the kind words.
Pete.

I've been watching this thread and the recent Pete the Pellet Trap builder thread and I must say I am impressed.
I have a Do All Air Strike trap and a 14" Trap made from 3/4 plywood, the steel plate I backed it with dictated the size.
Kirkair's comment is notable and I may pick one up the next time I go to the Orange colored box store for another level of protection.
I wanted to say I have used Duct Seal as my backing in both. I check it before and after every session and have not had a problem to date.
Hey @BanjomanM176 thank you for kind words. Here is a picture of the trap I build.
Thank you Pete

16889969582396014895427964560493.jpg

16889970103117548205441166593326.jpg

Hello everyone,

Shot a lot of indoor paper targets this morning and it donned on me that I have lost count of how many pellets I have shot at my two Big Band Pellet Traps :unsure: . The one on the right ( first photo ) I have now shot way over 1500 times, actually it is more like over 2,000. The one on the left over 500 times and really not sure how many times. Inside view of the one on the right ( second photo ) shows that only the black paint on the steel backing plate has any signs of use, and I am really surprised how well the paint has held up :D. I have shot these also with a rifle outdoors on my 10-Meter range, 25-Yard and out to 30-yard many times.

ThomasT
Big Bang Pellet Trap .301.jpg
Big Bang Pellet Trap .302.jpg

Last edited:
Mine might have a thousand shots in it by now. It is holding up well and I’m glad I got it.

Besides paper targets, I sometimes put a soup can in it or on a chunk of wood in front of it. Did this today for some plinking with my recently-acquired Beeman P3. The single-pump force knocks the can down but isn’t enough to slam it hard against the steel plate.

The BBPT will be even more useful with winter and indoor shooting soon to come. Easy pellet cleanout, too.

I got the Bullet Trap 12″x18″ for 9mm, .45, .40, .38 special & equivalent
Gone through 2 front rubber blocks, shooting over 15,000 rounds at it
View attachment 332307View attachment 332308View attachment 332309View attachment 332310
I saw this trap and called the company. I like the idea of turning down the sound. The person I spoke with didn’t seem that knowledgeable about Airguns. He didn’t think Airguns could penetrate the rubber faceplate. What say you?

Thomas,

It's just reflection from the plywood box interior which is painted blue. I was using leftover paint I had so blue inside and brown outside.

I have a big backstop too, as I'm in a residential area on one acre. Probably overkill, but being cautious too.

View attachment 334487
Agree about safety, looks 👍.

I saw this trap and called the company. I like the idea of turning down the sound. The person I spoke with didn’t seem that knowledgeable about Airguns. He didn’t think Airguns could penetrate the rubber faceplate. What say you?
Hello @wgd

What are you talking about? What rubber?

ThomasT

Hello @wgd

What are you talking about? What rubber?

ThomasT
I have a 50 ‘ range alongside my house. The neighbor is about 15 feet from my target so sound is a priority. I use a decibel meter every time I shoot in the case the police visit. I’ve been staying as close to 80 db as possible. My GK1 has a 7” silencer. I will never purchase another pellet trap smaller than in either 16x16 or 18x12 without high end sound deadening. I’ve been using the Highwild 11x11 for about 16 months, it’s solid, stays outside non-stop, 22 live ammo compliant, $52.99 but boring and a bit loud no matter how I try to deaden the sound. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MH44YS5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
I use these cardboard targets with 3” splatter targets. I past like 5 or 6 on the cardboard. And cover the stickers over and over.

About 30 to 50 rounds then I replace the stickers. So the cardboard lasts me a good while. But it’s too large for the trap. When someone pointed me here I took notice. More size means more stickers which translates to more shots without changing stickers. Size and sound deadening. To me size matters. If it wasn’t for the weight I would go bigger.

Last edited:
I would be interested in a N50/USARB Big Bang Pellet Trap. It would be awesome if there was interest to make it worthwhile.

The N50 Targets are 11x17.

The USARB 25M Targets are also 11x17
Hello @Str8tshooter

If enough members would show that they would like to have a Trap of that size, I would be glade to create a design to send to Pete. He then could get an estimate of the production cost and resale price. I am assuming that you ( and the others ) would want the Trap to be shot at 50-Yards both for pellets and rimfire to meet all of the N50 rules. Based on a max 1100fps and projectile max weight of 40gr, the backing plate would need to handle a minimum of 107.5 FPE. For overall durability the outer case could not be 100% aluminum. One more factor to keep in mind is the shipping cost for this size unit, even though I can design it to be shipped as an un-assembled unit to minimize box size.

Remember my original design criteria was to be light weight, total weather proof and set up for 8-1/2 x 11 standard paper size targets.

I will let you gather up a list of folks that would want the bigger unit and get back in touch with me.

ThomasT

Reactions: Str8tshooter
I would only be interested in Air Rifle use for the Pellet Trap, I should have clarified that. USARB /Air Rifle N50 Big Bang Pellet Trap. Same awesome build but larger to accommodate the 11x17 Targets.

Sounds good Thomas, you did a most excellent job designing the original.

I really like my BBPT's, game changing to have a solid, small footprint Target Holder that is not effected by wind or the elements. It was the weak link in my setup, now I can better judge my shooting ability than all the shooting stands that I have tried in the past.

If any folks are interested in a larger BBPT for shooting 11x17 Targets or Targets larger than the original. Now would be an excellent time to express interest.

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT