• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Big Bang Pellet Trap Upgrades

I purchased one of the ThomasT Big Bang Pellet Traps from one of the forum members who had it listed in the Member Classifieds. It worked well but I wanted to make some changes to make it more quiet and to take higher FPE shots. I purchased a horse stall mat at Tractor Supply on the recommendation of another member in a previous pellet trap post and I got to work.

My plan was to cut a rectangular piece to put inside of the trap in front of the steel backer plate and use some heavy duty 3M double sided tape to hold it in place. I measured out my pieces and got to work cutting the mat. Be sure and use new razor blades and make several cuts going deeper with each pass (no need to force it). Here is a picture of the rubber mat that fits snug on the inside (folded forward/down):

20230609_113122.jpg

20230609_122018.jpg

You can see the mat folded forward in the first picture above before adhereing to the steel backer plate. It fit tightly enough that it probably didn't need the double sided tape but I used it as an added precaution.

Next I cut a piece of the mat to cover the full frame of the front of the trap and I used clamps to hold it in place:

20230609_112325.jpg

20230609_121441.jpg

I drew an "X" as a makeshift bullseye and I tested it at an angle to make sure it wouldn't ricochet straight back. Two shots later and it seemed to be much more quiet and no bounce back. I pulled the flap back and found both pellets neatly expanded and compressed:

20230609_112530.jpg
20230609_112551.jpg

It looks like they had enough energy to pass through the first mat, but not make a mark or embed themselves into the second mat covering the steel backer. An added bonus is you can use thumb tacks to post your targets.

Overall I am pleased with how it turned out. A final note, if you decide to do a similar upgrade be sure that the pellet rifle has enough energy so that it goes into or through the first mat and not ricochet back and injure you (wear eye-pro).

-PJ

I purchased one of the ThomasT Big Bang Pellet Traps from one of the forum members who had it listed in the Member Classifieds. It worked well but I wanted to make some changes to make it more quiet and to take higher FPE shots. I purchased a horse stall mat at Tractor Supply on the recommendation of another member in a previous pellet trap post and I got to work.

My plan was to cut a rectangular piece to put inside of the trap in front of the steel backer plate and use some heavy duty 3M double sided tape to hold it in place. I measured out my pieces and got to work cutting the mat. Be sure and use new razor blades and make several cuts going deeper with each pass (no need to force it). Here is a picture of the rubber mat that fits snug on the inside (folded forward/down):

View attachment 363292

View attachment 363297

You can see the mat folded forward in the first picture above before adhereing to the steel backer plate. It fit tightly enough that it probably didn't need the double sided tape but I used it as an added precaution.

Next I cut a piece of the mat to cover the full frame of the front of the trap and I used clamps to hold it in place:

View attachment 363293

View attachment 363296

I drew an "X" as a makeshift bullseye and I tested it at an angle to make sure it wouldn't ricochet straight back. Two shots later and it seemed to be much more quiet and no bounce back. I pulled the flap back and found both pellets neatly expanded and compressed:

View attachment 363294View attachment 363295

It looks like they had enough energy to pass through the first mat, but not make a mark or embed themselves into the second mat covering the steel backer. An added bonus is you can use thumb tacks to post your targets.

Overall I am pleased with how it turned out. A final note, if you decide to do a similar upgrade be sure that the pellet rifle has enough energy so that it goes into or through the first mat and not ricochet back and injure you (wear eye-pro).

-PJ
Wait till it gets cold and then tell us about the bounce back. I was shooting a Harbor Freight anti-fatigue mat. Below 50º F they may come back at you. That was with my RedWolf .22HP at full power with the target at 50 Yards.

Smitty

Wait till it gets cold and then tell us about the bounce back. I was shooting a Harbor Freight anti-fatigue mat. Below 50º F they may come back at you. That was with my RedWolf .22HP at full power with the target at 50 Yards.

Smitty
Smitty

Thanks for the heads up. I shoot paper targets mostly in the summer, but I will keep that in mind if I shoot it out in the cold. I won't square up on it and test it at an angle first for possible ricocheting shots.

-PJ

Reactions: Smitty911
I bought 2 bags of fine sand at home depot, 50 lbs/$7.50 each, and divided the sand in a few pound plastic bags and filled them into 12"x12"x12" square cardboard boxes. Can also be used Soil is used instead of sand, and cartons are easy to obtain. Usually, there are many discarded packing boxes in online shopping. A cube has six planes for sticking target paper. If it is broken, replace it with a carton, and the cost is low.

All steel traps are nice, tight and durable. It is best to use flat cardboard, which is not easy to ricochet, and the cardboard is easy to obtain, just stick it to the face of the trap with double-sided tape. The important thing is that the filling in the trap can safely and effectively absorb the energy and penetration generated by the impact of 1000FPS particles. I think that with a thickness of 12 inches, no matter whether it is sand or mud, it cannot be penetrated.

I bought 2 bags of fine sand at home depot, 50 lbs/$7.50 each, and divided the sand in a few pound plastic bags and filled them into 12"x12"x12" square cardboard boxes. Can also be used Soil is used instead of sand, and cartons are easy to obtain. Usually, there are many discarded packing boxes in online shopping. A cube has six planes for sticking target paper. If it is broken, replace it with a carton, and the cost is low.

All steel traps are nice, tight and durable. It is best to use flat cardboard, which is not easy to ricochet, and the cardboard is easy to obtain, just stick it to the face of the trap with double-sided tape. The important thing is that the filling in the trap can safely and effectively absorb the energy and penetration generated by the impact of 1000FPS particles. I think that with a thickness of 12 inches, no matter whether it is sand or mud, it cannot be penetrated.

WeChatb2ef4368ea69c3924059e9c9b6a4e305.jpeg