Big back yard squirrel

Shot this squirrel this afternoon. .22 hatsan 95 vortex, 17.75gr vortex pellets, about 15 yards resting on sliding door frame. Head shot, dropped stone dead. Cleaned and in fridge. It will be cooked up this weekend with the other few that are in the freezer.

big squirrel .jpg

Shot this squirrel this afternoon. .22 hatsan 95 vortex, 17.75gr vortex pellets, about 15 yards resting on sliding door frame. Head shot, dropped stone dead. Cleaned and in fridge. It will be cooked up this weekend with the other few that are in the freezer.

View attachment 406373
I'm wondering how you plan to cook them? I'm partial to chicken-fried myself, maybe the most common method, but it's been awhile. Marinated (half white wine, half great olive oil, garlic, onions, fave herbs and spices (or cheat with just wine and a bottle of Italian salad dressing (red pepper flakes if wanted)) and Baked instead of fried is nice and better for the heart, and there's always the ubiquitous boned chunks in stew to make a little go a longer way-- those are the methods I've tried. Always wanted to try grilled on charcoal (barbecued?), but never got around to it.

JIC and/or general FYI: skin & clean, cut into four pieces (five or even six for the rare mutant monster), wash, let rest a couple/few hours in a refrigerated milk bath, remove and pat dry, dip in whisked eggs, dredge through seasoned flour (Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning, lots of freshly cracked Tellicherry(sp?) black peppercorns), another dip, another dredge, bump off excess flour and fry on medium in pre-heated, not quite covering peanut oil.

Enjoy. :) How about y'all?

Reactions: AmosBurton
I'm wondering how you plan to cook them? I'm partial to chicken-fried myself, maybe the most common method, but it's been awhile. Marinated (half white wine, half great olive oil, garlic, onions, fave herbs and spices (or cheat with just wine and a bottle of Italian salad dressing (red pepper flakes if wanted)) and Baked instead of fried is nice and better for the heart, and there's always the ubiquitous boned chunks in stew to make a little go a longer way-- those are the methods I've tried. Always wanted to try grilled on charcoal (barbecued?), but never got around to it.

JIC and/or general FYI: skin & clean, cut into four pieces (five or even six for the rare mutant monster), wash, let rest a couple/few hours in a refrigerated milk bath, remove and pat dry, dip in whisked eggs, dredge through seasoned flour (Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning, lots of freshly cracked Tellicherry(sp?) black peppercorns), another dip, another dredge, bump off excess flour and fry on medium in pre-heated, not quite covering peanut oil.

@bubbapearson Wait, what? You bake fox squirrel meat and eat it? How is it? What do you eat it with?

I'm going to try making a stew with them in my crock pot. I've done chili before, fired with gravy and a few other things probably. Been several years since I have been able to squirrel hunt so I don't' really remember any specific recipes. I'll post how it turns out.

@AmosBurton
When I make some bacon I may have to try that. Baked fox squirrel doesn’t sound appealing to me. Fox squirrels are noticeably more chewy than grey squirrels to me.
I don't do fox squirrel anymore. I'd never seen one until I moved here. (I jokingly made a comment that their coat would make a nice trim to fur lined slippers. My wife is still waiting for me to make those...)
I shot 2 fox squirrels for their skins and to try. Man were they tough. Tough to skin and tough to chew! I even aged them a week to try and let the connective tissue break down some. It didn't help. Once off the bone, they got chopped up fine and thrown into a chili so it didn't matter too much.
Only greys for me from now on.

edited to add - my wife is convinced that low and slow in liquid would make them not so tough