• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.

Beware of Paypal

I hope this isn't an inappropriate place to put this. But I do hope no one else runs into the problems that I am having. 

I recently sold an airgun to another forum member. (I'm not including their name on purpose. Some will blame them, but I don't think that's true. As far as I can tell they have been completely honest and honorable in everything.)

The buyer sent me money through PayPal. I added my bank and had them transfer the money to it. Hours after they deposited the money they turned around and removed it again. The bank says that PayPal requested it to be returned. PayPal says they have no record of requesting the money or receiving it. I gave them the banks routing numbers and transaction number, and they still deny knowing anything.

I am missing hundreds of dollars and PayPal is playing dumb about it. They won't even investigate it. I am losing trust in them quickly. 

Has anyone else had this or a similar problem? I don't think that I want to use them again. 

I no longer do private sales online due to Paypal. They have no problem taking the 3% commission but they are not willing to do anything to earn it.

Let's play devils advocate. What if the buyer in this case sent an email to Paypal saying Racinejohn sent him a box of rocks, and even sent them a pic of what he received? If this were the case then isn't PP doing exactly what you would want? If you were the buyer?

I no longer do private sales online due to Paypal. They have no problem taking the 3% commission but they are not willing to do anything to earn it.

Let's play devils advocate. What if the buyer in this case sent an email to Paypal saying Racinejohn sent him a box of rocks, and even sent them a pic of what he received? If this were the case then isn't PP doing exactly what you would want? If you were the buyer?

While I have never had a claim filed against me I have filed claims against others 2 times. They were notified by Paypal almost instantly. He is saying Paypal knows nothing of the transaction and seems to be unwilling to even look into it. So No, as a seller that is supposed to be protected also, I would say Paypal is not doing what I would want them to do. 

After another heated conversation, and giving them the tracking number on the transaction, PayPal finally admitted that they took my money. They don't know where it is, but they admit receiving it. They are also trying to say that the bank did this, not them, but that is also not accurate. Their rep admitted that it was most likely an issue with verifying the bank account. They now say that I should have it in my PayPal account within 10 days. I'll see if they follow through. 

Lesson learned: Establish your bank account with PayPal at least two weeks before using it to make sure there are no red flags. 

As I suspected, the Airgun Nation forum member was being totally above board. They were completely innocent in all this. We still have some good people around here. 

John 

I won't be using Paypal for any large purchases after I got burned on a small buy on ebay. The seller shipped the item via Fedex, Fedex claims they delivered it, but I never got the package. Fedex said the sender has to file a claim which they refused to do so. Paypal said too bad the item was shipped and verified it was delivered. My loss and my lesson. Burn me once is an education, burn me twice would be my stupidity!

Scammers can sell expensive items, ship rocks in a box and have the box stolen before the buyer picks it up. Institutionalized, systematic fraud!

Another item re: PayPal: (this especially affects "sellers"). PayPal has revised their user agreement, as of this year any item sold over $600 will generate a 1099K and will be forwarded to the IRS which means you are gong to have to pay tax on that. That could easily affect many sellers on this forum, just sayin'😉

Here is the link to the original article:

https://runningwithmiles.boardingarea.com/paypal-payment-network-reporting-stimulus-bill/