Between these two scopes which would you pick? For under $200 is there a better scope?

As suggested to me in another post, Hawke scopes are pretty good for the money. It will go on a pcp rifle...Air Venturi Avenger either 22 or 177. Which would you choose for yourself? Is there a better scope out there for under $200?

Screenshot_20240411_090324_Chrome.jpg

No reason not to choose the Mil-Dot option for an airgun.

Before you pull the trigger on a new Hawke from Pyramyd Air, check the classifieds here. Lots of sweet optics deals that might 1) save you some money on that identical scope or 2) get you a little bit more scope (12 or 16x max magnification, glass etched reticle, etc.) for your money.

There's quite a few nice Hawkes in there now as a matter of fact.

I have that 3-9 Hawke Vantage but it's got a simple crosshair no dots or windage/elevation marks.

First scope I got when I got into PCPs and bought a Hatsan Hydra. I've used it on a few guns but it's back on the Hydra now. I like it for this gun because it's light like the Hydra is, 9x zoom is plenty for this gun (no point in trying to shoot past 50 yards with the Hydra so I just leave it sighted for 50 yards), and it adjusts focus very easily.

Seems pretty well made and the glass is clear. You won't regret it especially with mil dots. Is there a better scope for the money though? Maybe

It's one of my favorite scopes even though I have more expensive ones with a lot more zoom and features.

I would want the mil dot version of the Hawke and I think it is a great buy. I've been using a 2-7 on my Prod for a couple years now and it's never let me down.

My current favorite is the Vector Veyron 6-24 SFP. Krale has them, haven't seen them from other sources. Even with shipping from Europe mine was under $200 delivered. I like having 24X for target shooting but I also want usable 6X where the reticle is still clearly visible. With a fine reticle, FFP scopes are usually not really usable at their minimum magnification. There is also a 3-12 and a 4-16. The 3-12 is a little smaller and lighter but the 4-16 is almost exactly the same size as the 6-24.

I have a 4-16 west hunter on my Avenger and I think it matches the gun well. Lots of features for the price. It's a pretty good scope. Not as good as the Veyron IMHO but definitely worth the money they ask.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
Personally, I have no use for AO scopes. MUCH rather have a side focus. There are some surprisingly good sub $200 scopes available to us now.
I agree totally! Also, at least for me, less than 20x is simply not enough. I tried 3x9, 4x12 and 4x16 and none of them had enough zoom for me.

To each their own and the older you get, at least IMHO, the more zoom you will want. The 2 scopes I use now are 4.5-27 and 8-34. I keep both of them at max zoom most of the time, even at close range. But then again, that is me. (smile)

See my signature below for more info...

All my best!

Kerry

p.s.

I paid $210 for the Aim Sports Alpha 6 in January 2021 and $332 in July 2019 for the Athlon BTR including rings.

You won't find deals like that today.

Last edited:
For a few more bucks if you could swing it look into these, I just ordered the 6-24 version and I' waiting for it to arrive. Total of 288 shipped, but it weighs in at 22oz and measures under 14in. Idk what the glass comparison is to the sh4j version but if it's anything close without the extra 13 oz then it's a winner in my book.

Screenshot_20240412_092438_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240412_092434_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: skohl
I have a couple lower end athlon scopes. Both Neos, one is 4-12x40, the other is 6-18x44. Also have a hawke vantage 4-12x40.... I'd take the athlons all day over the hawke.

If you can find an older Sniper brand in 4-16x44, jump on it. That was one of my most favorite scopes. Had it on my 25 cal bottle gun in the shooting rest. It rolled out, and landed on the front bell, and bent the front end down at the scope ring. It's become a spotting scope lol... won't hold zero now and elevation is screwed.