• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Better Moderator for FX M3 .25/600

I have the Donnyfl tatsu on my .25/500 and to me it is extremely quiet. Most of my pesting is done from the house with the muzzle inside the window. I don’t have a decibel meter but I thought that mine got a bit quieter when I flipped the barrel to the slug port and dropped my 2nd stage reg to 105bar. I prefer the fatter can so I’m using the Tatsu on my .25/500 and Sumo on my .25/700.

Can you give me more information on this? I’m not familiar with it.
I am not sure if these are being fabricated anymore, they used to be for some of the older FX designs. They are hard to find right now.
They are basically hollow tube sections, which amazingly works well. And I think I remember that some people use 3-D technology to make baffle cones, which apparently helps even more.

When measuring dB, dB-C weight should be used which is for short, loud "BANG" like sounds.
Also FAST mode should be selected and used on dB meter.
Even cheap sound meters have both options.
Many sound meters, even cheap ones have the option for selecting minimum threshold under which it will not record. 80dB is a good starting point but if lower powered or really quiet air rifle or air pistol is used, lower setting like 60dB can be used. This option usually gives more precise reading on cheaper sound meters.
Of course, more expensive ones give more precise results.
Environment is also important.
I use my basement which is far from ideal but it will give me a reference point when I make new moderator or redesign internals.
For better testing I have to drive almost an hour away (I live in a city) to a remote place where after dark everything quiets down and do my testings there.
I did think of making some kind of a "chamber" for this but it would be too large, too cumbersome to set up and store afterwards and quite expensive since sound insulating materials are not cheap

Reactions: OldSpook