• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best wishes to the USA World team in Slovenia

"ironman"The rules at the Nationals were apparently changed last year because there was no tech inspection at all. Everyone was told to be on the "Honor" system and shoot under the foot pounds for each given class. Only the top 3 places in each class were tech inspected after the event occurred. I am not saying this was because they wanted the Thomas rifles to be competitive but if they had the tech inspection back then, the shooters in Slovenia would have already known that the forend of the rifle was too wide, etc.
What is your real issue? Where does all this animosity with Thomas guns come from? Did you loose money or another coveted prize to a Thomas rifle? Can you not afford one and therefor rail against them? Out with it ironman!

Reactions: Scott_Allen
"John_in_Ma"
"ironman"The rules at the Nationals were apparently changed last year because there was no tech inspection at all. Everyone was told to be on the "Honor" system and shoot under the foot pounds for each given class. Only the top 3 places in each class were tech inspected after the event occurred. I am not saying this was because they wanted the Thomas rifles to be competitive but if they had the tech inspection back then, the shooters in Slovenia would have already known that the forend of the rifle was too wide, etc.
What is your real issue? Where does all this animosity with Thomas guns come from? Did you loose money or another coveted prize to a Thomas rifle? Can you not afford one and therefor rail against them? Out with it ironman!
My 2 cents - forgive me but I dont read Ironman's posting as containing any elements of 'animosity' ...this coming from a non owner...but wanna be ThomasAir owner based in UK (would need power capped at 11.5 ft/lb to be safe & comply with UK Law). If anything it does reveal the fluidity or rather lax approach of rules applied by the Course Director (an eye opener), baring in mind if I recall rightly, some committee members in US Benchrest voted against ThomasAir's electronic trigger for fear it would give undue advantage (dont know the details but recall something like this - any individuals concerned or took part in this ruling - kindly clarify why & reason(s) ? or post a link please ?)....yet, if true what Ironman says about checking guns POST match...mmmm, that would really be a "weird" decision given - rules are rules are rules.

If anything more out of a safety concern - all guns are checked prior to any comp. in the UK - and would also give rise to any technical problems so as to rectify and or avoid in the future ; remember, I still want to own the ThomasAir and am not criticizing the product, or any owner or non owners...nor do I have an axe to grind.

Now as far as Slovenia... the biggest elephant in the room about...as to why Vypha Miller didnt even do the LV class comp. is intriguing ; I feel Its a darn shame as I kind of expected a complete domination of these fine air rifles in the comp.; reading about the mishaps due to whatever reason(s)was an anti climax in the very least .

Hope on their return the story becomes clearer...

I'll post the scores later...

LV Scores are in ...Finals - 3 from Finland , 1st, 2nd, 3rd

- Those Finns must have glacial blood running in them veins...

HV starts in the afternoon...

if you cant view see here: https://www.pimpmyairgun.com/viewtopic.php?f=249&t=1786

ff871a206019a33ff8087325c6f40979.jpg

6652c464d4a15b0e0600fc995b842e57.jpg

As a competitor in the 2016 Nationals I can verify the fairness of this event.

There was a scale and chronometer set up so shooters could (and should) verify their guns BEFORE competing. Medal winners were required to have their guns checked to meet weight and power rules for their classes.

Evidently some were disqualified for not making weight or power limits in 2015, and I heard this happened in 2016 as well. I wanted to make sure this didn't happen to me, and I worried that temperature changes could affect power output. For HV my gun could legally shoot at speeds less than 820fps - and on the official chrony it was running safe about 790.

In any case the wind was rather brutal and certainly a much bigger factor than a few fps one way or another. Most of us shooting Open class actually shot at HV power - I got 4th in Open shooting at 17 fpe.

The 3rd lace position in LV is a JUNIOR . This is the kid from last year...Kid is 13 !!!

Aappo Korpi 

dade8c8bec9d308696814c93cd3fc022.jpg

""The best thing in rimfire benchrest? Beating my dad." This witty young man is Finland's Aappo Korpi, top rimfire benchrest shooter. At just 12-years old, he won silver last year in the world champs (rimfire HV 3x25), beaten only - you guessed it - by his dad, Tomi Korpi. We're betting this talented guy will be beating his dad many times over in the future!"

"JG66"
"John_in_Ma"
My 2 cents - forgive me but I dont read Ironman's posting as containing any elements of 'animosity' ...this coming from a non owner...but wanna be ThomasAir owner based in UK (would need power capped at 11.5 ft/lb to be safe & comply with UK Law). If anything it does reveal the fluidity or rather lax approach of rules applied by the Course Director (an eye opener), baring in mind if I recall rightly, some committee members in US Benchrest voted against ThomasAir's electronic trigger for fear it would give undue advantage (dont know the details but recall something like this - any individuals concerned or took part in this ruling - kindly clarify why & reason(s) ? or post a link please ?)....yet, if true what Ironman says about checking guns POST match...mmmm, that would really be a "weird" decision given - rules are rules are rules.

If anything more out of a safety concern - all guns are checked prior to any comp. in the UK - and would also give rise to any technical problems so as to rectify and or avoid in the future ; remember, I still want to own the ThomasAir and am not criticizing the product, or any owner or non owners...nor do I have an axe to grind.

Now as far as Slovenia... the biggest elephant in the room about...as to why Vypha Miller didnt even do the LV class comp. is intriguing ; I feel Its a darn shame as I kind of expected a complete domination of these fine air rifles in the comp.; reading about the mishaps due to whatever reason(s)was an anti climax in the very least .

Hope on their return the story becomes clearer...

I'll post the scores later...
Why on earth would a director want to test every gun competing? You only care about the guns that finished at the top/receive awards. Who cares if the 120th place gun had a 4" for-end and was shooting cast slugs at 120FPE, it finished in 120th place. Okay that's a silly example, but the point is simple, the time and people needed to test hundreds of rifles is extreme, most even national shoot simply don't have the time and/or manpower to do it. You really only care that the awarded rifles meet the requirements. 

The picture of the filing of the for-end is telling... bet someone pulled out a caliper and found that it measured 3.050 inches instead of 3.000. That shooters bailed out of the competition is also telling... who on earth travels to Slovenia and just quits for no good reason. 

Chip up team USA, make the best of the circumstances you are presented!

@Percula 

Ok granted, some events are attended by so few (under 10 ?) in the US...its almost like a 'good ol boyz' club meet..and perhaps at the discretion of the Course / Range director/referee - if all shooters agree- then the top placed guns are checked post competition.

I however, would not expect this to ever happen in a State, National , or International event - it would never happen...

Check this out: www.wftc2017.wales/competitor-list/

ALL 300 shooters prior to starting the comp will have their guns chronoed & checked...for everyone's safety AND to conform to regulations. Have a problem with that ? don't attend...

3.050? Seems inconsequential. The rules should have a tolerance band for that just as they do for energy. Plus or minus 5% seems acceptable to me. But what's all this crap about this brand rifle or that brand rifle? It is apparent that the best shooters are dominating with a variety of rifles. It just proves that the shooters who work the hardest and practice the most will win. I'm sorry to see some primadonnas show up with big buck equipment and be expected to sweep just because of their $$$ rifles. This reflects poor sportsmanship. Most of these guns used here are fully capable of winning with the right guy pulling the trigger.