Best way to polish and hone your barrel crown.

With hand tools, the hardest part is the square facing operation. The second operation is applying a bevel, and the brass screw method requires no alignment.

Before I had a lathe, the way I did the squaring was in a drill press. Breech end chucked up, muzzle end supported by a board with a hole drilled in it. Slowly bring in an emery wheel in a Dremel and kiss the muzzle gently to abrade down the high spots until it’s cutting for the full rotation. Then on to the brass screw to apply the bevel.

you could probably rig up a jig with wood to use even a hand drill, most wiil chuck a breech end .. dont ask how i know lol .. theres a steep learning curve though really before you go hacking on a gun barrel .. i wouldnt experiment and learn on a 'good' gun .. mini lathes arnt too expensive these days either, again, just a steep learning curve ... barring all that, you can get some lapping grease in any grit you want, id say 400s about right .. put several knots in a piece of suitable size cord like paracord, grease it up with the compound and work that bad boy smooth ... guess you could finish off with the brass screw ..

Rather than deal with Polish and hone....
I Alway re-cut my Barrels to a 11° Target Crown!
With a Lathe and proper tools.....
You start with a properly trued up flat barrel face.
Then I use the Mason Crown Cutting Tooling. The best I tool I have used!
This system consists of a cutter head with 3 serrated Carbide cutters.
20200909_122237.jpg

And the correct fitting Bore arbor. The bore brush is to remove any chips when you remove the arbor....
20200909_125920.jpg

The unique thing about this Crown cutter, it doesn't create "chips", It shaves thin threads of metal off!
20200909_122313.jpg

The result is a Perfect 11° Target Crown. Clean, sharp with No polishing needed... unless you want to make it look Pretty...
20200909_1301521.jpg

20200918_162610.jpg

I even do all my FX M3 barrel liners!!
800mm%2011deg%20crown.jpg

Stuart

The Manson crown tooling is very nice. For perspective, it’s about the price of a mini lathe.

Reactions: Ca_Varminter
The Manson crown tooling is very nice. For perspective, it’s about the price of a mini lathe.

True....
The Standard kit has a manual "Crank" handle assembly,
So You can Cut your Crown with the Barrel Mounted!!
Or just get the "Military rifle kit" setup to use a power screwdriver.....$140....with 1 arbor of your choice.

Stuart