Best version of the FX Panthera for hunting.

Best version in my opinion is still an Impact M3. I dont think the Panthera offers any real benefit over the Impact for hunting, and in fact it has some cons when compared. Very low shot count, much longer oal, less power etc. If your goal is hunting "150 yards or even more" I would advise you to look at other options. The 500mm version is going to be the worst choice as it will have even less velocity and still be longer than a 700mm Impact.
Your wrong on this one I have two impact m3 700 a .25 slugger and a .30 and the Panthera 700 in .25 the Panthera is like no pcp I’ve shot It definitely has something different happening inside. I’m shooting 41gr zans at 1100fps and one raged hole at 40yds have not been able to shoot farther yet to see accuracy out at 100 and farther only purchased 4 days ago. I’m getting 2 1/2 mags so roughly 40shots this is with the tune out of the box I’ve tuned nothing yet and it’s got a lot more to go if I wanted but honestly why would I want more. Reg is 130 wheel is 23 micro at 4

Your wrong on this one I have two impact m3 700 a .25 slugger and a .30 and the Panthera 700 in .25 the Panthera is like no pcp I’ve shot It definitely has something different happening inside. I’m shooting 41gr zans at 1100fps and one raged hole at 40yds have not been able to shoot farther yet to see accuracy out at 100 and farther only purchased 4 days ago. I’m getting 2 1/2 mags so roughly 40shots this is with the tune out of the box I’ve tuned nothing yet and it’s got a lot more to go if I wanted but honestly why would I want more. Reg is 130 wheel is 23 micro at 4
Yes, my post was based on the early advertised power shooting slugs in 22 cal vs an 800mm built Impact. Reports were less performance with lower shot counts in 22 cal. We already have people hitting over ~150ft-lbs in 30 cal Pantheras. And that is a lot more than a 30 cal M3 can do, but the spread is smaller in 22 cal. My 25 Cal 700mm Impact makes ~80-90ft-lbs and its still pretty mild. Can I reach your 110ft-lbs? Probably not, but I can get close. But at the end of the day you can only push ammo so fast, and the Impact already can max out most weights available. The longer mag in the Panthera is where we are going to really see it take over. Once the slug manufacturers start making longer sleeker slugs with ballistic tips the Impact we become the slow old man.

More info has come out since this thread started, but my point still stands for now anyway. The Impacts are better for hunting imo. Too much extra weight and length and lack of shot count to justify a little more power. If you like your Panthera thats all that matters, but for me it doesnt make sense for walking around hunting critters. Id be really interested in seeing something more compact with a front bottle, which I know FX is already planning. Obviously the action is making more power, or at least more effecient. They will sell a metric butt load of the next Panthera version, and for good reason. If it were up to me, Id like to have a Panthera action version of an Impact M4?

Yes, my post was based on the early advertised power shooting slugs in 22 cal vs an 800mm built Impact. Reports were less performance with lower shot counts in 22 cal. We already have people hitting over ~150ft-lbs in 30 cal Pantheras. And that is a lot more than a 30 cal M3 can do, but the spread is smaller in 22 cal. My 25 Cal 700mm Impact makes ~80-90ft-lbs and its still pretty mild. Can I reach your 110ft-lbs? Probably not, but I can get close. But at the end of the day you can only push ammo so fast, and the Impact already can max out most weights available. The longer mag in the Panthera is where we are going to really see it take over. Once the slug manufacturers start making longer sleeker slugs with ballistic tips the Impact we become the slow old man.

More info has come out since this thread started, but my point still stands for now anyway. The Impacts are better for hunting imo. Too much extra weight and length and lack of shot count to justify a little more power. If you like your Panthera thats all that matters, but for me it doesnt make sense for walking around hunting critters. Id be really interested in seeing something more compact with a front bottle, which I know FX is already planning. Obviously the action is making more power, or at least more effecient. They will sell a metric butt load of the next Panthera version, and for good reason. If it were up to me, Id like to have a Panthera action version of an Impact M4?
My guess is impact M4 will have the new action or a version of it.

Reactions: MongooseV8

FX Panthera Hunting Rifle @ the British Shooting Show:

Screenshot 2023-03-04 at 2.15.51 PM.png

I have a question for Guywalker; First of all, thank you for your post on Feb, 13.

I have a .30 M3 that shoots the 44g's very accurately. However I'm thinking about a dedicated slug gun. Why did you go with the .25 verses the .30?

Thanks in advance.

Just have to bring up something no one has mentioned. Most people who consider themselves good shots can and do shoot impressive groups at 100 + yards . OFF THE BENCH WITH BIPOD OR SAND BAGS. Now tell me your able to hold as well in the woods off the side of a tree or sitting on the ground at a squirrel or chipmunk that is constantly moving giving only 3 seconds for a still shot. Your mental focus is not as it is at the range either. I’ll bet most air gun hunters focus their scope and estimate the distance and take the shot. Not hard to do if within 60 yards with a powerful airgun with practice but between 60 and 100 yards wind and velocity drop makes for higher probability of missing or worse just wounding an animal that escapes and dies a slow death. If I see a squirrel in the woods I try to stalk within my comfort zone . If it gets away It a part of hunting.

Just have to bring up something no one has mentioned. Most people who consider themselves good shots can and do shoot impressive groups at 100 + yards . OFF THE BENCH WITH BIPOD OR SAND BAGS. Now tell me your able to hold as well in the woods off the side of a tree or sitting on the ground at a squirrel or chipmunk that is constantly moving giving only 3 seconds for a still shot. Your mental focus is not as it is at the range either. I’ll bet most air gun hunters focus their scope and estimate the distance and take the shot. Not hard to do if within 60 yards with a powerful airgun with practice but between 60 and 100 yards wind and velocity drop makes for higher probability of missing or worse just wounding an animal that escapes and dies a slow death. If I see a squirrel in the woods I try to stalk within my comfort zone . If it gets away It a part of hunting.
Agree with the poster.

I rate the "system" (the gun, sights, projectile, the conditions and SHOOTER) by its maximum effective range (MER). For me, for pesting and hunting small game the MER is the range at which I can keep all my shots inside the humane kill zone - which is a 1 inch circle.

Shooting from a bench in ideal conditions will show you the best MER. Shooting off-hand in cold, windy conditions in poor lighting at a moving target when you are tired will severely reduce your MER.

Paper targets don't suffer from a poor hit, live targets do. Please choose your shots accordingly.

After a good session at the bench I'll finish with some off-hand shooting to get a realistic perspective. A bit of humility is good for the soul ;)

Cheers

Reactions: saitama
I have a question for Guywalker; First of all, thank you for your post on Feb, 13.

I have a .30 M3 that shoots the 44g's very accurately. However I'm thinking about a dedicated slug gun. Why did you go with the .25 verses the .30?

Thanks in advance.
Honestly I wanted the Panthera in .22 and all that was available was .25 and .30 so I got the .25 I wanted a .22 because of the better ballistic coefficients

Is a replied to your comment on the other post

"There is no "hunting" version.

In the video he was shooting the 700mm at 1000 fps with 34 grain, at 150 yards thats still 45 fpe , however with such a light projectile theres a lot that can affect it at the 740ish fps its traveling at 150. The 500 on the same settings would likely (guestimate) be shooting those same slugs around 925ish fps..... with 6mph wind at any spot thats 6 inches of movement and it has 47 inches of drop... I am not saying people can't do it I just think that with hunting first shot placement is 100% key , when hunting this isn't paper where you can take a sighter."

No blame to FX here but I knew this would happen, the dreamers come out. You want to do long range on an animal, buy a .270 PB
Long range is perfectly fine I don’t think he’s hunting white tail small game to pest animals with good shot placement and a follow up if needed is completely fine with me

Agree with the poster.

I rate the "system" (the gun, sights, projectile, the conditions and SHOOTER) by its maximum effective range (MER). For me, for pesting and hunting small game the MER is the range at which I can keep all my shots inside the humane kill zone - which is a 1 inch circle.

Shooting from a bench in ideal conditions will show you the best MER. Shooting off-hand in cold, windy conditions in poor lighting at a moving target when you are tired will severely reduce your MER.

Paper targets don't suffer from a poor hit, live targets do. Please choose your shots accordingly.

After a good session at the bench I'll finish with some off-hand shooting to get a realistic perspective. A bit of humility is good for the soul ;)

Cheers
I agree with some “realistic” practice after the bench session. I pest chipmunks and squirrels and an occasional ground hog with my .25 Crown at a maple syrup farm. Critters like eating the tubing.
My personal criteria is 50yds inside of a dime. Typically I stick to 35 yards when hunting. Anyway, after the bench session for ultimate accuracy and doping, I sit in my turkey chair with my Triggerstick and do some shooting for verification and confidence. Also, often when hunting at my gun club I will set a bunch of acorns on logs and stumps at varying distances and while in my hunting chair whack away at them. They’re pretty close to chipmunk size heads.

Reactions: Vana2