• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best version of the FX Panthera for hunting.

This year when I graduated high school I got a new rifle. A Browning x bolt 300 PRC. A long range version of the venerable 300 win mag. Why did I choose the 300 PRC. Because I like to prepare. In case a target came up at a farther distance and I could not stalk on it. I have something to reach out and touch it at a further distance. How does this translate into air rifles? Same reason. If I chose a FX Dreamline or FX Crown mk2 yeah I would be golden at 100 yards or less but with the Panthera I could shoot something farther than 100 yards. IF I NEEDED TO. Yeah the power is overkill but if something was out further then I would more confidence in my gun at further ranges.

If your so fond of PB's? Why consider AG's?
Because if I tag out during deer or elk season. I don't want to be the jerk that shoots a 17 hmr or a 22 lr while hunting small game. Also I don't want a silencer for the rim fire. Also with pb ammo prices I want something relatively cheap to shoot. Both for hunting and target shooting.

Cheap? Have you considered the cost of compressor, tanks, hoses and such?
Granted once you buy that stuff the ammo is cheap. But we are talking a MAJOR investment just to freaking compress AIR!
Okay I meant that the ammo is cheaper. Doing the math I calculate a setup of $3500. For the Panthera, Compressor, scope, moderator, and arca rail to weaver adapter.

I do cause they learned not to get closer to my Kill zone.
What's wrong with that if you KNOW you have the Gun and skill to do so?
I don't see anything wrong with it with an over powered rifle, theres a lot of room for error past 100 yards shooting with an air gun IMHO

It was also geared more toward game that has some ruggedness to them, racoons, chuck, etc, something that could live if you did not hit where your POA was.

A pigeon/starling I see no issue there. OP referenced Racoons earlier.

Yes there is room for error. That's why shooting at ranges like that takes practice!
LOT'S of practice! Not just buy a gun that can do 100+ yards and expect to be good enough to actually hit anything at 100+ yards.
I know that. I will practice. I will target shoot at that distance so if I saw a ground hog or grouse at 125 yards or so I don't need to stalk up to it. I can settle down and slowly take the shot.