Best Tripod Head / Ballhead

This is the best ballhead I have ever used! No ballhead flop-over with this one.
I’ve used it with my 600mm F4 and camera body (15 lbs) instead of a gimbal, with no flopping.
It attaches with an Acra Swiss plate (I have the Saber Tactical ST0032 rail), but there are less expensive picatinny to arca adapters.
Mine is attached to a piece of starboard with small rubber feet, for bench shooting.
I got mine from Arthur Morris @ https://birdsasart-shop.com/flexshooter-pro/

7D3B17F8-5E66-430C-8847-DC027F6E3CC9.jpeg

I'm intrigued!
It reminds a bit of this odd Gitzo I have. (which is best installed directly on a "systematic" style tripod in place of the plate or leveling bowl head)

That looks to be a well designed piece of kit. I think I would like using for field use, but the price point is a bit high.

I am not a fan of "regular" ball heads for precision shooting because of they can flop to the side unexpectedly as you mentioned, and precise alignment was very difficult for me. How does your setup compare to a bipod with a rear rest as far as steadiness goes? If you tap on the end of the buttstock with the gun floating on the head, no contact with a rear rest or your shoulder, does the cross hair move back and forth like a vibrating tuning fork as happens with a ball head on a tripod, or is it rock steady?

Some years ago I switched to a geared head to solve that problem, but the geared head does not move freely like a ball head. You have to move the three gear knobs for elevation, tilt and rotation, so following a moving target or moving quickly from one target to another isn't going to happen. For precision shooting where your aiming point doesn't change, the geared head is easier for me to align vs a ball head or other styles.

Last edited:
I grabbed one of the FatBoy tripods from my local shop and have been really happy with it. Was looking at other higher priced items and decided to give a try to the three section unit. Have had zero issues with it and am able to hang on the tripod without touching the ground, I weigh 220 lbs. The head is nice and stiff and have had zero issues holding heavy rifles even under recoil.

Yes the prices can see a bit high for some of these things, but think of how much money you are attaching to the top of them! If I put a $3K+ rifle on this tripod I have ZERO worries that it will drop or anything like that. It is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

That looks to be a well designed piece of kit. I think I would like using for field use, but the price point is a bit high.

I am not a fan of "regular" ball heads for precision shooting because of they can flop to the side unexpectedly as you mentioned, and precise alignment was very difficult for me. How does your setup compare to a bipod with a rear rest as far as steadiness goes? If you tap on the end of the buttstock with the gun floating on the head, no contact with a rear rest or your shoulder, does the cross hair move back and forth like a vibrating tuning fork as happens with a ball head on a tripod, or is it rock steady?

Some years ago I switched to a geared head to solve that problem, but the geared head does not move freely like a ball head. You have to move the three gear knobs for elevation, tilt and rotation, so following a moving target or moving quickly from one target to another isn't going to happen. For precision shooting where your aiming point doesn't change, the geared head is easier for me to align vs a ball head or other styles.
I‘m using it with a buttstock bag on the bench. Feels much more solid than a bipod.