Best Tips on Shooting a Springer!

Uh oh! Did somebody walk off with yours? :oops:
No, maybe 1 1/2 years ago I had mine sitting on the front bag. I was sitting there and it rolled onto the table. If it went the other way, I‘m glad I learned the lesson without disaster. I almost had a sh.t heart attack.
I would never leave my guns alone. Crow

No, maybe 1 1/2 years ago I had mine sitting on the front bag. I was sitting there and it rolled onto the table. If it went the other way, I‘m glad I learned the lesson without disaster. I almost had a sh.t heart attack.
Good to hear you evaded disaster and never leave your guns unattended. :cool:

Reactions: Lt.Dan and crowski
TC724 posted this a while back. I did similar by cutting two of the fingers off of a pair of brown yard gloves from the dollar store. Just slide each one onto each leg of the vee yoke.

5F363EF1-11CD-45FD-AB53-F40BCAF1DBD0.jpeg

I had a similar accident, no damage to rifle it fell on the carpet covered table but if it had fallen the other way it would have hit the concrete patio floor.

Not necessarily. Too heavy for the power plant and it won’t be happy. You can usually hear and feel the difference. And chrono don’t lie!
Good advice, chrono does not lie. I have had several springs in my TX200. No matter what spring, match a pellet up to get 800 fps +or- a bit and that is where I get the best accuracy. Air Arms Field Diablos in both 8.44 and 10.33 both just make a .250 or less hole at 20 meters. I have shot both a 100 ft faster or slower and lots of vertical, doubles or triples the groups.

Over the years, these are the most important things I have been told about the act of shooting any weapon.

Wood to wood (stockweld) and bone to bone (support the rifle with your skeleton, not your muscles).
Support the rifle, don't clutch it, particularly important with a springer.
Squeeze the trigger, don't jerk it.

Remember:
Breath
Relax
Aim (align sights)
Sight (position your now aligned sights on the target)
Squeeze

If you need to breath again before you finish those steps, start over.
BRASS thats great!

Have you ever watched a piece of artillery being fired? If so you will note how the actual gun recoils freely within it's carriage. When firing a springer consider yourself as the carriage with the gun resting on your hand and free to recoil.
I was actually a Field Artillery Officer in the US Army and had command of a firing battery… I have seen numerous iterations of cannons being fired, both towed and self propelled guns. So I can see how, now, why it is called that, sorta. However, also as an Infantryman… shooting rifles as part of my basic skill set, I was unclear why you call shooting a rifle holding it in yout hand an artillery hold… ok… this is a different game… I m not a soldier any more…now an air gunner wannabe

Reactions: Deadeye Dick
Get one with a good trigger, hold it the same way each shot and make sure all the screws/fasteners & scope stay snug, shoot it A LOT...the more the're shot the better they shoot...the gun breaks in and you will become more and more proficient with it. Agreed, 12 fpe easier to cock for long shooting sessions and milder firing cycle too.
Thanks AA & AGN!
great tip!

Yeah, that seems to be my experience. And of those wiser than I. 🤓

I coach air-rifle and one of my go-to sayings when I see 'em hit a bullseye: Now do that EXACT same thing again. 🎯

Springers really rely on the shooter consistently perfectly repeating the many steps to consider for each round. Well, in all fairness, any gun requires that, but the springer seems less forgiving. 💥

I enjoy the challenge. I have a tiny #backyardplinking 1/8th acre suburban lot. 25Y with a scope and a $1000+ rifle gets boring quickly.

💪 #neverstopshooting
My backyard range gives me about 40 yds. max, my club range is 100 yds., all of my air rifles are pretty accurate, and not all of them are expensive, I shoot from the bench, so yes, it can get boring which is why we shoot paper until we tire of it, then we set up novelty action targets (just make sure that there is no danger of ricochets, we have sides on our pellet trap/backstop), some ideas for novelty targets are empty Co2 cartridges hanging from an eye screw with fishing line, playing cards standing on edge, and match sticks standing in predrilled holes in a slab of wood.
Other targets we've made are spinners made from old spoons with the handles bent around heavy gage wire, and a home made challenge tree made from a 2"x4" stud and small metal squares, a small 6" saw blade hung on a coat hanger rings like a bell when hit by a pellet.

1. Get a rifle that has a very good trigger, and you want to set it as light as you feel comfortable shooting.

2. Always hold a springer dead soft. You don’t have to use the “artillery hold”, just hold it dead soft and hold it the same way every time.

3. If you hunt, zero your springer the same way you shoot in the field. I like to hold the fore end at the stock screws, dead soft. I’m not going to repeat the same perfect artillery hold in the woods shooting up at squirrels.

As long as you choose a quality rifle with a very nice trigger, hold it dead soft and follow through it will group. And it will be deadly accurate.

Consistency in how you hold the rifle is key. When I got my first springer, I would experiment with different ways of holding the rifle. Off hand, hands in different positions, resting on a deck rail, resting on a monopod, etc. Every way of holding the rifle, it had a slightly different zero. I was so used to powder burners, it took me a while to figure out the apparent change in zero was due to how I was holding the gun, not the gun itself.